Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moving and might need cats

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving and might need cats

Im moving to Allegheny County, PA and they do some emissions testing there. No sniffer test, but they do a computer scan and a visual inspection for emissions equipment. I still have the AIR and EGR **** on my car, but no cats. The car has LTs, but i dont believe that will be a problem. I might have to install cats, depending on if i can find a mechanic to just give me a sticker or not. If I do need cats, where the hell can i put them? and what kind do you all suggest? My car has eibach springs on it, but im not sure which ones, because it was like that when i bought it. I already scrap the y-pipe on speedbumps. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

nobody? what about the catted y-pipes the sponsors sell? how is the ground clearance with those?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

you could try searching around on magnaflows sight...they seem to have the smallest cats out there and they perform well from what i hear...check em out
Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With LT's you're still going to be illegal even if you put cats on since you technically aren't allowed to move the stock location of cats. I would try to either find a guy that will hook you up or you could weld up some fake cats on the y-pipe (like a little canister around the pipe to make it look like there's a cat there). Or you could always reinstall the stock manifolds with your catted y-pipe and then switch it all again after the inspection...obviously this option sucks the most considering how much labor is involved.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the bigger question is, What make/brand are your LT's??

It shouldnt be that big of a deal to get a matching y-pipe with cats, to fit your headers.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red99TA
With LT's you're still going to be illegal even if you put cats on since you technically aren't allowed to move the stock location of cats. I would try to either find a guy that will hook you up or you could weld up some fake cats on the y-pipe (like a little canister around the pipe to make it look like there's a cat there). Or you could always reinstall the stock manifolds with your catted y-pipe and then switch it all again after the inspection...obviously this option sucks the most considering how much labor is involved.
I was thinking the same thing about moving the original position of the cats, but I think I would have a better chance of getting a sticker if i at least had cats on there. Im going to ask around the local Pittsburgh forum and see if anyone knows a mechanic that will hook me up.

I believe my headers are hooker or hedman. I can't remember off the top of my head, because they were on the car when i bought it.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in PA and had my emission inspection licence but let it expire when I started working in MD. If you have your check engine light turned out you should be ok. Most shops don't care as long as it passes the OBD2 scan they will let it go. I would go in the Eastern section and find someone that lives in in that area and find a shop to take it too.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I live in PA and had my emission inspection licence but let it expire when I started working in MD. If you have your check engine light turned out you should be ok. Most shops don't care as long as it passes the OBD2 scan they will let it go. I would go in the Eastern section and find someone that lives in in that area and find a shop to take it too.
Thanks, my check engine light is off, so i'm good for that part. Ill try going to the eastern section to see if I can find a shop though.