Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will polly motor mounts vibrate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question will polly motor mounts vibrate?

hey guys i have a question.
im haveing some banging problems with my tsp y and im going to have my exhaust shop fab up some custom hangers to try and help it but most of y'all say to get prothane motor mounts.
now i have had a prothane tranny mount and it made my car unbearable to drive and made the whole car vidrate and the car felt like crap.
with the motor mounts be the same way?
i ended up going with a 1le tranny mount and havent had any problems so far but the motor mounts are much harder to swap out if i dont like em.
let me know what you guys think.
the motor mounts from what i know are not that old and the engine was swaped about 30k ago.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed prothane motor/tranny/torque arm mounts at the same time I installed my headers. My transmission vibrates alot less than it did with the rubber mounts and now my engine does not move at all. The only time I ever get any vibration is at startup, right around 1000 rpm the shifter console area vibrates around making some noise. Other than that there is no vibration at all, except a very slight vibration right at 1800rpm when decelerating. This is my daily driver and it is not annoying at all, I think the cold startup vibration is my exhaust shaking around from not having any mounts on the y pipe. My rear end no longer hops from the torque arm bushing. I will warn you though the motor mounts are not fun to install and do take some time. I even built a custom shift lever that is solid stainless steel with no rubber bushing and it does not vibrate at all. At first I thought they vibrated really bad! After looking under the car I realized my motor mounts had settled in and my drivers side header was rubbing the frame. Now that was an annoyinig vibration, nothing a porting tool and a sawzall could not fix lol.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Prothane motor mounts with a stock tranny mount. To be honest I can't tell the difference from the stock motor mounts. Car is smooth, no header banging.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hardtop
I have the Prothane motor mounts with a stock tranny mount. To be honest I can't tell the difference from the stock motor mounts. Car is smooth, no header banging.
same here.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ :d
Old 09-28-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I recently installed the prothane motor mounts and still have the stock tranny mount. I can feel the motor shaking the car at idle now where I couldn't with the factory mounts. But it's not excessive. When moving, there isn't any difference. With a factory or very mild cam I don't think you would notice a difference from the factory mounts with respect to vibration.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have a steel DS the prothane tranny mount will kill your tail shaft. i have the prothane motor mounts as well... havent had any issues since i took the tranny mount out and put the stock on back in
Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

I have poly motor mounts and no vibration and no banging. I have heard that people get alot of vibration out of a poly trans mount. I have the stock trany mount and don't have any problems.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I have poly motor mounts with a stock tranny mount and I don't have any vibration at all, and it stopped the y-pipe banging problem.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

well i got a chasis ans suspention guy that has worked on my car before and he is very cheap so ill look in to haveing him do the engine mounts.
the tranny mount was horrible the car felt like it was going to fall apart and even when i got on it there was a bad vibration that got worst when the rpm's went up.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah stock rubber motor mounts and a poly tranny mount is a bad combination. i think some people from here received some damage from that combination.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hardtop
+1 can't even tell a difference from stock. However I feel like it tightened my M6 car up when going in reverse or launching with regular street driving
Old 09-28-2008, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

I could tell a huge difference from stockwith prothane!! My drivers side mount was pretty worn out. I have a M6 car and now my shifter doesn't wobble all over like it did with the stock rubber. It goes into gear a lot easier too. It was well worth the PITA it was to change them. I am running stock tranny mount too.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

old thread but jsut got my motor mounts installed along with the trans mount. they are the prothane. the rid is a bit rough but my y-pipe kept cracking from the motor shaking so damn much with the cam. throttle response is boom there! feels like i received some lost power, m6 easier to engage into all the gears as well.

now that its cold out and the y-pipe being cracked, i get a nasty squeel from the metal rubbing. its SO annoying! need a different y-pipe setup or something.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

I have a vibration problem with the Poly Trans mount, I had the same Problem with a poly mount on my ss too. At the time I didnt know that was the problem or I wouldnt have put one on the TA. :OOPS
Old 10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Everything will be more solid, but you will feel more vibration because the less you let the motor move, the more power you are sending through the body of the car. A lot of guys do it to eliminate the y pipe banging issue

Quick Reply: will polly motor mounts vibrate?