Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did i do wrong? anifreez leaking from head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you be sure the alighnment sleevs on the bottom corners of the heads did not bottom out with the shorter gaskets? Did you clean the block REALLY well? Did you not only blow the bolt holes out but push wound up paper towels in the bolt holes until they came out dry?

Any of these would be likely. After that check the block and heads with a straight edge.

Also I would not reuse head gaskets. I had to pull one of my heads off too but if there is one thing you dont want to blow out its a head gasket, do it once and do it right.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Typical Cometic issue, I usualy spray copper sealant.

If you use the cometics without the copper spray, they don't like to seal. Use it LIBERALLY on the gasket, and make sure the deck is clean. They say don't use the copper sealant with their gaskets blah blah, but it's the only way I've seen them seal on the first try, and it's how myself and everyone else I know does them now.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did everything correct. I blew out the holes ,and rolled up some towels and cleaned them out. I went out and bought some copper seal , but i acually was hoping that you guys would tell me that they were on incorrectly in the pics. Atleast that would give me some hope when putting it back together.The block should be straight, it hasnt been touched. Unless the block came bad from the factory. I did have my heads milled, and that could be the problem , but the first thing the guy told me when i picked them up was that they were perfectly straight. Is there a specific gasket for the drivers side, and 1 for the pass side? What if i go buy head gasket remover? I saw it in the automotive store when i picked up the permatex.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't give any details on the heads you are using. Do they by any chance have the notch in them?
Attached Thumbnails What did i do wrong? anifreez leaking from head gaskets-notch.jpg  
Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You don't give any details on the heads you are using. Do they by any chance have the notch in them?

The heads i am using are tfs 215's. I dont think they are notched, but then again i didnt really look for that.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe heads with the notch are only pre 241 GM castings so that's probably not your problem. They will leak coolant when they are used with MLS gaskets.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wilwhite2kss
I did everything correct. I blew out the holes ,and rolled up some towels and cleaned them out. I went out and bought some copper seal , but i acually was hoping that you guys would tell me that they were on incorrectly in the pics. Atleast that would give me some hope when putting it back together.The block should be straight, it hasnt been touched. Unless the block came bad from the factory. I did have my heads milled, and that could be the problem , but the first thing the guy told me when i picked them up was that they were perfectly straight. Is there a specific gasket for the drivers side, and 1 for the pass side? What if i go buy head gasket remover? I saw it in the automotive store when i picked up the permatex.
Yes, there is!! If you dont put the right gasket on the right side, I'm sure it wont seal...You might have found the problem.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Yes, there is!! If you dont put the right gasket on the right side, I'm sure it wont seal...You might have found the problem.
The thing is the gaskets didnt have any lables on the packaging nor did the gaskets have any writing on them for me to determine which is which. They also looked identical. No directions also
Old 10-25-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

How did you torque them down?

Mill the heads just slightly to true them up - tell the shop to use the fine setting (described on the cometic site), clean the block thoroughly including a few passes with 250 to 400 wet or dry paper on a straight edge. Use copper spray two light coats on both sides, and torque it down with new bolts after cleaning the holes throughly including using a chaser bolt to clean the threads.

You'll be good to go.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KMS.1320

If you use the cometics without the copper spray, they don't like to seal. Use it LIBERALLY on the gasket, and make sure the deck is clean. They say don't use the copper sealant with their gaskets blah blah, but it's the only way I've seen them seal on the first try, and it's how myself and everyone else I know does them now.
My cometics arent leaking but I sure wish I knew this before installing them.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
My cometics arent leaking but I sure wish I knew this before installing them.
Hey if it ain't broke don't fix it! Good job getting them to seal without the spray. If they aren't leaking now, don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: What did i do wrong? anifreez leaking from head gaskets