Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp 485 hp head and cam package?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: slp 485 hp head and cam package?

Just curious here, why is it that SLP is constantly ragged on, yet other companies are held in such high esteem?

Anybody who bashes SLP and has their SS/WS6 factory package at the same time, has some serious problems with logic, IMO.
SLP Performance Parts (aftermarket) and SLP Engineering (second sticker packages) are two separate entities.

IMO, some of the former's power claims are "optimistic", their parts are generally pricey, and I'm not a huge fan of their customer service. They do, however, produce parts with OEM quality and feel based on my experience.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it is kinda like Mustangs, in that most people bash and critize them, but they are still good.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also just went to their site, and the 485hp H/C is around 2800, so I don't see where you are getting 4K from.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are more like two divisions of the same company and they do interact. F.e. aftermarket part of SLP sells take-off wheels left from transforming z28's into SS's, suspension packages basically identical to SS packages, etc.

SLP Performance Parts (aftermarket) and SLP Engineering (second sticker packages) are two separate entities.

IMO, some of the former's power claims are "optimistic", their parts are generally pricey, and I'm not a huge fan of their customer service. They do, however, produce parts with OEM quality and feel based on my experience.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

They are more like two divisions of the same company and they do interact. F.e. aftermarket part of SLP sells take-off wheels left from transforming z28's into SS's, suspension packages basically identical to SS packages, etc.
Two divisions = separate entities in my book.

My point was that its misleading to say that if I have an SS or WS6 and I don't care for SLP's aftermarket parts or claims, I lack logic - they are not one in the same. Besides, unlike the '96 and '97 SS's, the basic SS and WS6 LS1 cars don't have anyting more than some cosmetic work done at SLP anyway.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree

My point was that its misleading to say that if I have an SS or WS6 and I don't care for SLP's aftermarket parts or claims, I lack logic - they are not one in the same. Besides, unlike the '96 and '97 SS's, the basic SS and WS6 LS1 cars don't have anyting more than some cosmetic work done at SLP anyway.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

um...well first Dave Hamburger is kind of a jackass, second their prices may be high quality, but their hp claims are outrageous, and third their prices are even more outrageous than their hp claims. I understand that if you have to stay emissions legal, you gots to pay. But I don't, so I won't
Old 09-19-2003, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Call it whatever you like but you do get the same parts from the same people in both cases.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Call it whatever you like but you do get the same parts from the same people in both cases.
Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but it sounds to me like you've not dealt with SLP personally. Try ordering replacement parts for your SS or WS6 through SLP Peformance Parts (Toms River) and see what they do (usually they'll direct you to the Troy, Michigan headquarters).

Yes, you're right that the parts carried by both "divisions" are the same, but those shared parts are pretty much limited to wheels and some body and suspension parts. The vast majority of performance parts are available only through SLP Performance. So, your earlier statement about lacking logic is misleading. To further clarify - I like the SS hood and wing my car came with, but that does not mean I lack logic because I don't buy into the claims of SLP Performance Parts heads/cam packages, engine assemblies, etc. Make sense?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but it sounds to me like you've not dealt with SLP personally. Try ordering replacement parts for your SS or WS6 through SLP Peformance Parts (Toms River) and see what they do (usually they'll direct you to the Troy, Michigan headquarters).

Yes, you're right that the parts carried by both "divisions" are the same, but those shared parts are pretty much limited to wheels and some body and suspension parts. The vast majority of performance parts are available only through SLP Performance. So, your earlier statement about lacking logic is misleading. To further clarify - I like the SS hood and wing my car came with, but that does not mean I lack logic because I don't buy into the claims of SLP Performance Parts heads/cam packages, engine assemblies, etc. Make sense?
Sure. That's what I meant. "SS" parts are pretty much limited to wheels, suspension, exhaust and body kits, like you said. So I guess you may like suspension parts made by the company and hate their power packages or aftermarket advertisement, and it would make perfect sense

..And I did deal with SLP and had actually been a member of their forum for quite a while [until production stopped]. I just didn't like to hear that absolutely everything SLP make is junk, like some people implied..