Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me pick parts for my new motor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dankl
Hey man, to each his own. If you want to go MS4 just to say "I have an MS4", that is your choice. You'll have to live with it.

If you've noticed, all the post seem to say the same thing. Go for a smaller, more streetable cam. It is obvious that this car is not going to be a drag only car, so why go MS4? Why not look at something much more practical for your situation?

If you do go with the MS4, be sure to get springs good to probably .660 lift to be safe, titanium retainers, hardened pushrods, timing chain upgrade? Not sure about the timing chain, but I think you'll need to upgrade.

Hmm, oh and your stock fuel system most likely will not work very well. Probably start to lean out around 5K or so. So you'll want to do a 255 LPH fuel pump to hang with the cam since you'll need to wind out to get to your power range. Hopefully at this point your not maxing your stock injectors out, so might want to think about budgeting for a larger injector.

You mentioned a clutch already. Lifters? If you want to rev higher than stock, I think you'll want to upgrade those lifters to atleast an LS7, or a caddy lifter.

I could be wrong here, but this is pretty much what started happening to me when I modded. I did heads and a smaller cam to keep the street manners, but I'll tell you this, my fuel system would lean out around 5K even when I was just head/cam/headers. Not safe to have a WOT leaning out...

Do you have headers and full exhaust? You'll need this too for a cam like that.
its not just to say i have an MS4. im using this as a way to bet a big cam, which i can build on with great heads, a good intake and so on and so forth. Within the next 6 months the car will be track/friday night only, so id rather put the big cam in it now, when its going to come warrentied, than do it myself down the road. Ya its a big cam for stock crap heads, but id rather drive it like that for another 3K miles becofre all my upgrades, then put a stock or small cam in it and hate the car.

I was/still am considering selling the car becuase im just not fond of it really anymore and a C5Z is very apealing
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Banging some gears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let your dad do his thing w/fixing the car for you.

-2cc pistons and MS4 w/supporting mods (springs, retainers, pushrods) for now... heads when you have the chance and it'll be a beast!!

-Daniel
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was/still am considering selling the car becuase im just not fond of it really anymore and a C5Z is very apealing
You just answered you original question. If you are thinking of selling the car and getting a Z06, put it back to stalk and sell it!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Yeah, but why settle for a C5Z...Pretty much the same thing your driving now, with less weight and a corvette. Always nice.

Will you pops help you get into a C6Z? Now that is a step-up. I was contemplating the C5Z also when I blew my motor, but decided it wasn't enough of a change, engine wise. So I started looking at the C6Z's and wow, they are amazing! If you can test drive one, go for it!

So for me, it's C6Z or bust for now. Still a little expensive for me right now, so I'll make my car now a bad bitch and start shopping again in a few months/year or so, when they come down some more.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd put put a 383 bottom end in it, a decent sized cam nothing huge with the stock heads, something in the mid 230's for duration and keep the lift around 560 so it's easy on the springs, plus with the stock heads and intake backing up with any more then 550 lift there's noreally no point to it, optimize the cam as much as possible and you should have something in the 420ish hp range with really good bottom end that will drive great and still make good power.

Headers are needed though, you're gonna sacrifice alot if you don't put them on. I'd get all the bolton stuff done, so later on you can swap a bigger cam and a set of heads on it.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd put put a 383 bottom end in it...
That is not an option for the OP...
Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
You just answered you original question. If you are thinking of selling the car and getting a Z06, put it back to stalk and sell it!
if the car goes back to stock its gone, if i get a cam im keeping it. Im tired of running around for 2+ years with boltons and 4.10s... it gets old

Originally Posted by dankl
Yeah, but why settle for a C5Z...Pretty much the same thing your driving now, with less weight and a corvette. Always nice.

Will you pops help you get into a C6Z? Now that is a step-up. I was contemplating the C5Z also when I blew my motor, but decided it wasn't enough of a change, engine wise. So I started looking at the C6Z's and wow, they are amazing! If you can test drive one, go for it!

So for me, it's C6Z or bust for now. Still a little expensive for me right now, so I'll make my car now a bad bitch and start shopping again in a few months/year or so, when they come down some more.
the pops would definatly help with a C5z, would nix the C6Z as soon as i brought it up though. He has some strange corvette fetish almost i think. Plus he knows if i got a Z i would put rims on it, a nice c/b and just enjoy driving a vette and not go out and street race it and be stupid.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Well since you said the 383 is out of the question I say you just do some forged pistons and rods if your dad will go for it. You are more than likely gonna have to do forged pistons if you have to bore it out anyways cuz there isn't much out there for LSX stuff in non forged save for maybe one or two brands but they aren't that much cheaper anyways. Get the -2cc valve reliefs and your MS4 since it seems you are set on that. Save up and throw some heads on it later along with the other supporting mods and you should be good to go.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF I WAS YOU: a forged 346 WILL HANDLE BOOST. stay with 346 ci. use your stock crank, get forged rods/pistons and cam if you want. save you some cash for a bit and put a procharger on it or turbo it, it will be a SERIOUS beast. you will walk C5Zs like its not even funny.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
if the car goes back to stock its gone, if i get a cam im keeping it. Im tired of running around for 2+ years with boltons and 4.10s... it gets old

the pops would definatly help with a C5z, would nix the C6Z as soon as i brought it up though. He has some strange corvette fetish almost i think. Plus he knows if i got a Z i would put rims on it, a nice c/b and just enjoy driving a vette and not go out and street race it and be stupid.
thats bull ****, i know your younger then me. And im still a kid, and i would love to rape a vette
Old 11-06-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
thats bull ****, i know your younger then me. And im still a kid, and i would love to rape a vette
haha i really wouldnt... im tired of getting bullshit tickets that only come with racing and being retarded. I just want something nice that i can drive and not have to worry about, but is quick enuf to go at a light once in a white or turn... thats waht i really would use it for lol
Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

get ready to spend out the *** on vette parts
Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
get ready to spend out the *** on vette parts
lol thats why i dont want to hot rod it and abuse it, just drive it nicely in an attempt to keep spending down lol
Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

what were your symptoms when you blew up your two pistons, I am asking because I think I have a problem with ring land or cracked piston, I am have smoke coming out of my dipstick tube and oil cap at idle and I have blown out my dipstick multiple times.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

well the day it happened the car ran find, i was racing a friends 396 elky and when i hit 4th i looked down and my check engine light was blinking and right about that time there was a large BOOM and the car died lol. When i restarted it it just poured white smoke outa the headers
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're still debating on a cam I would suggest a TSP Torquer 2 for street use instead of their MS4. I DD my Tv2 and like it, and, although it is much smaller than a MS4 it could have a little better street manners than it does. My point is that it is still plenty big for street use.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Put it back to stock and sell it and get a c5z.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just get the forged pistons and be done with it. A fly cut piston isnt goin to be very strong and prolly wont last that long