Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wtf do i know.. but.. while the reverse split cam may not be the absolute best choice for nitrous, i didnt read where you asked about that at all.. and furthermore, its definitely not a deal breaker.. if you go n2o leave it in there and spray the **** out of it.

as for heads or nitrous.. im in the same boat truly.. but i have the ability to port my own heads so im prolly gonna jack with that to save some green. ive done prolly 15 sets of heads.. so im no pro at all, but im not some goone tryin to hog out my ports with a dremel either.

when i priced my nitrous system via nitro dave's website.. it came out to be 1500 bucks(with tax) by the time i threw in the timing retard, two step, window, WOT, bottle heater, purge, tunnel bracket etc etc etc. plus ill need a racetronix kit and 42's to go with it because i'd prefer to go dry... so thats 2 grand for me to do it what i call "right" in my own head. granted you dont need all that crap but it sure is nice to have. ive had nitrous before, and its certainly fun.. in the end i say either or will make you smile.. nitrous slightly more ; )
Old 11-13-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

im running the X1 230/227 and i plan on spraying a 125 shot sometime down the road. i have talked with sponsors and said reverse splits will work fine with spray. its just that if u go over 150 shot then yeah, it would be best to go with a traditional split.

every search i did with reverse splits every one who owned them loved the under the curve they produced for a street car. ive seen some charts where the under the curve for a reverse split performed better under the curve than some traditional regular split cams. as a matter of fact predator Z is running a reverse split in his 370.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
im running the X1 230/227 and i plan on spraying a 125 shot sometime down the road. i have talked with sponsors and said reverse splits will work fine with spray. its just that if u go over 150 shot then yeah, it would be best to go with a traditional split.

every search i did with reverse splits every one who owned them loved the under the curve they produced for a street car. ive seen some charts where the under the curve for a reverse split performed better under the curve than some traditional regular split cams. as a matter of fact predator Z is running a reverse split in his 370.
Pred's cam might be a reverse split at .050, but is it truely a reverse split??? Maybe it's traditional split after .200??? Which would be great since excess low lift flow hurts on cams with a lot of overlap.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
The PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 heads will treat you very well. Their smaller chambers give you a slight bum in compression (up to about 10.8:1 on a stock LS1 short-block) which is good for power all the way across the board!!
Well then how about a set of 243 castings milled for more compression? 243 heads are a much much better design than the 5.3's. Yes, even after porting.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

heads+cam+bottle=stupid fast!
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

Go with the heads and if you still want the nitrous after you replace all of the weak links you break just from the heads and cam then add the spray to it. Theres no reason you can't run mid 11s with heads and cam in a full interior full weight car.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
Well then how about a set of 243 castings milled for more compression? 243 heads are a much much better design than the 5.3's. Yes, even after porting.
It depends on where you want your power to be. The 243's aren't really that much better. From what I understand if you want to make higher rpm horse power the ported ls6s are the way to go but for lower to mid range power thats useable on the street the 5.3s are the way to go. I like the combustion chamber better on the 5.3 heads also.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

243 heads can be ported to support over 500rwhp. Not cheap, but it can be done... Don't see that with 5.3L heads.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pred's cam might be a reverse split at .050, but is it truely a reverse split??? Maybe it's traditional split after .200??? Which would be great since excess low lift flow hurts on cams with a lot of overlap.

predator-z cam is a reverse split bro and its not a such big cam either.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you mill the LS6 heads enough to get the compression to the point where out of the box 5.3L heads are, the OP will NOT be able to run the camshaft he posted about in post#1.

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
243 heads can be ported to support over 500rwhp. Not cheap, but it can be done... Don't see that with 5.3L heads.
Of course they will! And it's the same price or less expensive to port the 5.3L heads as compared to the LS6's! Fifedogg's engine build comes to mind immediately

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
It depends on where you want your power to be. The 243's aren't really that much better. From what I understand if you want to make higher rpm horse power the ported ls6s are the way to go but for lower to mid range power thats useable on the street the 5.3s are the way to go. I like the combustion chamber better on the 5.3 heads also.
The same morons that think the 5.3's are better for low end are the same ones that stick an MS4 cam in their car. Ironic.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not really sure what this comment has to do with this thread, but I guess I'll comment.

I'll put this as simply as I possibly can.

The advantage to the 5.3l heads is very simple. Smaller chambers & better p/v clearance help the 5.3l heads to provide higher compression with minimal loss in p/v. What I consider ironic is someone making 420rwhp with a 230 duration camshaft & ported ls6 heads making low blow shots at the MS4 camshaft. The MS4 camshaft was not built to be a low end camshaft, it is simply a max effort camshaft that just so happens to be part of the quickest heads cam combo in the country.....

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
The same morons that think the 5.3's are better for low end are the same ones that stick an MS4 cam in their car. Ironic.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
I'm not really sure what this comment has to do with this thread, but I guess I'll comment.

I'll put this as simply as I possibly can.

The advantage to the 5.3l heads is very simple. Smaller chambers & better p/v clearance help the 5.3l heads to provide higher compression with minimal loss in p/v. What I consider ironic is someone making 420rwhp with a 230 duration camshaft & ported ls6 heads making low blow shots at the MS4 camshaft. The MS4 camshaft was not built to be a low end camshaft, it is simply a max effort camshaft that just so happens to be part of the quickest heads cam combo in the country.....
My car makes over 350lb/ft of torque from 3,300-6,300rpms. That's usuable torque that you feel on the street in a "street" car.

Sure 420rwhp isn't dyno queen numbers, but if I wanted to make 450rwhp and need a 4.10 gear to get the car going from a redlight then I could have used one of your magician sticks.

I'd be interested to see one of your dyno sheets with your 5.3 heads and MS4 cams though. It would be interesting to compare the curves.

thanks

Mark
Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

My car makes over 350lb/ft of torque from 3,300-6,300rpms. That's usuable torque that you feel on the street in a "street" car.

Sure 420rwhp isn't dyno queen numbers, but if I wanted to make 450rwhp and need a 4.10 gear to get the car going from a redlight then I could have used one of your magician sticks.

I'd be interested to see one of your dyno sheets with your 5.3 heads and MS4 cams though. It would be interesting to compare the curves.

thanks

Mark
Why look at the MS4 graph...its already been stated, in this very thread, that it was not designed to be a bottom end torque monster. It is a max effort race cam!

We did finish an install with a 224R cam and the PRC 5.3L heads yesterday. With stock exhaust manifolds and cats it did 390/375. It made 350ftlbs a bit before 3300rpm

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made the argument that the same people claiming that 5.3 heads have better low end power are usually claming in a different thread that the big cams are the best choice for a street car.

A properly ported 243 head always makes more power than a 5.3 in every setup I've seen.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I made the argument that the same people claiming that 5.3 heads have better low end power are usually claming in a different thread that the big cams are the best choice for a street car.

A properly ported 243 head always makes more power than a 5.3 in every setup I've seen.
So you don't really have anything to add to THIS thread.

How many of these setups have you actually seen (not just read about)? We've tested them hundreds of times. Just curious if you have an actual basis in reality, or just on the internet.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a thread on here for Top 5 head porters. Call some of the guys listed and ask them if a ported 5.3 head is comparable to a "properly" ported 243 head.

There's a reason the 5.3 head didn't come on the C5 Z06. And surely if GM discovered the 5.3 head was better for a street car then they would have found out before putting the 243 heads on the 05-up GTO's.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That's better reasoning, but still no first hand experience. I think we can all agree that AFR/TFS heads offer advantages over a GM casting too, right? So, why didn't GM put those on the Z06? They were around, established with plenty of results, etc at the time. Also, why hasn't GM given these late model LSx cars/trucks a reverse split camshaft like is in your car (and don't copy/paste Bret's thread, we want to witness YOUR knowledge).

Old 11-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

There's a thread on here for Top 5 head porters. Call some of the guys listed and ask them if a ported 5.3 head is comparable to a "properly" ported 243 head.

There's a reason the 5.3 head didn't come on the C5 Z06. And surely if GM discovered the 5.3 head was better for a street car then they would have found out before putting the 243 heads on the 05-up GTO's.
Good post.. I've never seen a Larry Meaux 5.3 head.. I'm betting that's for a reason..

and when are you going to pull the X1 garbage cam out and put something in that works hehe
Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
That's better reasoning, but still no first hand experience. I think we can all agree that AFR/TFS heads offer advantages over a GM casting too, right? So, why didn't GM put those on the Z06? They were around, established with plenty of results, etc at the time. Also, why hasn't GM given these late model LSx cars/trucks a reverse split camshaft like is in your car (and don't copy/paste Bret's thread, we want to witness YOUR knowledge).
Can't copy/paste Bret's thread, hardcorels1.com is down with server problems.. but even you have to admit Bret is a smart dude and he knows wtf he's talking about.. so can you say in this thread that reverse split cams are far from optimal in an LS engine? or would that be sticking your neck out too much as a sponsor? because I know you know the answer..