Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008 | 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Default cam install discussion

man whoever said a cam install would be easy has never done one

first day in and all i got was my valve covers off... (didnt start very early)

anyone have any tips or input for help further down the road? or any problems/ hard to do things?
Old 11-15-2008 | 02:55 AM
12 Second Club

Lol, its not too bad, time consuming... of course. Get the Crane Dual Valvespring compressor... that will save you a **** load of time. Russian Roullette method of taking out the cam is not that risky either. Or you can get 5/16 round bar from home depot to hold lifters.. Good luck
Old 11-15-2008 | 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.ls1howto.com

Go to cam install section, plenty pics and step by step by JMX
Old 11-15-2008 | 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mglooper
man whoever said a cam install would be easy has done a **** ton of them before
Fixed.. haha
Old 11-15-2008 | 04:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Fixed.. haha

Yea, I was going to say...

It's not that bad once you have done it a few times. Just follow the cam install guide that Predator-Z posted above for the first couple of times and you will think it's cake
Old 11-15-2008 | 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

If you start getting frustrated or something ain't going in right or back together right, walk away for a little bit and come back here and read the write up that was posted or ask your fellow LS1ers. There is gonna be times where you're gonna think to yourself "Why the **** did I decide to do this?", but if you're patient and follow the steps you'll be good.

The only issue I really had was getting the condenser up out of the way to remove/install the cam. You think you're almost going to break the lines, but you'll be okay. Getting the oil pump pickup bolt back on was tricky, but just get plenty of light in there to try to see it and stuff a rag in there so the bolt doesn't accidently fall in the pan and you'll be good.
Old 11-17-2008 | 01:18 AM
On The Tree

yea i was following the instructions even had my own cop. after breaking two tools taking off rocker heads i admitted defeat and turned in the towel. after a trip to sears i put everything back together and decided to more than likely just sell off everything/return what i can im pretty disappointed but i do have some hella clean valve covers and know alot more about my engine

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2008 | 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Weak!

As a fourth gen'er its your resposibility to accept tight cramped spaces and bloodier knuckles than you've ever invisioned! The pain, blood, sweat and tears is all worth it!

Think of how the LT1 guys feel and what they go though (myself being a prior of the latter)

Take your time with it, and read, READ READ!! get that "how to build/modify Gen III/IV Chevrolet small blocks"

Best of luck bro
Old 11-17-2008 | 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Don't quit it is not that bad. The last bolt holding the coil pack on the pass. side is one of the biggest PITA. Just take your time have your printout of ls1howto.com with you and it will be fine.
Old 11-17-2008 | 04:19 PM
Launching!

I can't wait to do this to mine! Ive got pulling the top end of my motor apart down to a science after having a random misfire issue and replacing the intake manifold gasket and swaping in an ls6 pcv system . I think your giving up too easy man, I mean sure it looks overwhelmingly difficult but just do the damn thing!!!! Make sure you read and re read all directions cause Your giving up waayyy tooo easy!
Old 11-17-2008 | 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm with you I wish I could have the problem of heads/cam swap pita problems instead I have a budget problem that doesn't allow me to have the situation.
Old 11-17-2008 | 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABQ99TA
Don't quit it is not that bad. The last bolt holding the coil pack on the pass. side is one of the biggest PITA. Just take your time have your printout of ls1howto.com with you and it will be fine.
+1. When I installed my headers I removed the coil packs to get more room on that side.

After I got that bolt out, I clenched it as tight as I could; did my best Nolan Ryan impersonation, and launched that son of a bitch as far as I could throw it. Never Again will it cause pain and suffering in my life.

Old 11-17-2008 | 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
The only issue I really had was getting the condenser up out of the way to remove/install the cam. You think you're almost going to break the lines, but you'll be okay. Getting the oil pump pickup bolt back on was tricky, but just get plenty of light in there to try to see it and stuff a rag in there so the bolt doesn't accidently fall in the pan and you'll be good.
I had alot of trouble with the condenser the first time, trying to move it up, then I realized how easy it is to drop it down rather than lift it....
Old 11-17-2008 | 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS2 WS6
Lol, its not too bad, time consuming... of course. Get the Crane Dual Valvespring compressor... that will save you a **** load of time. Russian Roullette method of taking out the cam is not that risky either. Or you can get 5/16 round bar from home depot to hold lifters.. Good luck
I used tim's tool from found on this site. worked really well and was much cheaper!
Old 11-17-2008 | 05:40 PM
LSX Mechanic

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but seriously if you had a hard time getting the valve covers off then you need to abort the mission and let somebody do it that knows what they're doing.

As "wam bam" as everybody makes a cam install out to be, there is some craft in there that is required. Not to mention some specialty tools, and a few things here and there you need to know how to do right. IE: Removing the crank pulley, removing the cam correctly, adjusting the rockers properly...not just TQ them down the line to 22, measuring the base circle of the cam/checking preload, removing the valve springs, etc etc etc.

If the valve covers have whipped your ***, turn back and let somebody else do it so you don't wind up costing yourself a lot of heartache and/or money not doing something right.

JMO.
Old 11-17-2008 | 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

I see you're in Texas also. There is like a million sponsors and a billion LS1 owners down there. Odds are either a business or a fellow Texan can you help you out. Regular Joe Blow would prolly come help you out for pizza and beer.
Old 11-18-2008 | 10:01 PM
On The Tree

haha i have no doubt that i could do it guys. and yea i had a joe blow namly my brother.... also i have all tools read re-read and re-read the instructions. i have all tools and liquids and everything i needed... the one and only problem that made me quit so easy is that this being my DD i had to have it the next morning to go to work
Old 11-18-2008 | 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mglooper
haha i have no doubt that i could do it guys. and yea i had a joe blow namly my brother.... also i have all tools read re-read and re-read the instructions. i have all tools and liquids and everything i needed... the one and only problem that made me quit so easy is that this being my DD i had to have it the next morning to go to work
so you tried to do it all in one day ?
Old 11-19-2008 | 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Cool

You need to find someone who has done it before to help you so you can get it all done in one day. Hell i pull my heads in one day or more like 5 or 6 hours (by myself). Its putting em back thats the trick. cam, even less time... But then again i have more experience than most in this area. Ive done 3 cam installs and 2 head swaps. currently doing head swap on my car right now and it took me 5 hours to take it all apart(the right way). Find someone with experience... or better yet, just do a lil at a time. do the springs on one side, then the other, and finally do the cam... not hard...
Old 11-19-2008 | 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

forgot to mention... something that will help you... use a 10 open end wrench where the closed end wratchets and swivels... this will make valvcovers much easier.... i also found it the hardest part my first time. Oh and when you go to put the crank back on make sure you have the longer bolt to help intall.. good luck.