Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker's come in

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you changed the valve seals yet?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is TSP going to pay for the labor of having a shop install valve seals on a set of TSP built heads that have 200 miles on?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Have you changed the valve seals yet?
"I" am not going to change them. If they are changed, it will be done by a reputable shop. I'm sure it won't be free either.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it turns out to be a problem with the heads is TSP going to pay for all the labor charges he has acquired while going out of his way to prove its not something else? just my .02
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

FYI - It looks like the nipple part of the PCV is facing toward the catch can. It needs to face towards the intake. Valve seal installation is pretty straight forward. It will take some time, but at this point I would do it yourself just to see if that helps.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 406malibu
If it turns out to be a problem with the heads is TSP going to pay for all the labor charges he has acquired while going out of his way to prove its not something else? just my .02
Most shops will just pay for the defective parts and not cover any labor. Pretty standard in the world of performance shops.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have offered to send new valve seals and he had already purchased them from another vendor. I don't have a problem with offering parts to help eliminate possibilities where we can. That being said, we don't cover the labor of other shops. As mentioned above, it is a pretty common practice. It just isn't feasible to to cover labor on everyone who doesn't have the ability to work on their car. We're alway available to help & will gladly inspect the cylinder heads if the customer requests it.

Jon
Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

post 85?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10645372-post85.html

Were the springs removed and the seals mentioned in post 85 installed?

Last edited by Shon Herron; 12-19-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
See post#103.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As I said before, several of the seals were checked, which were all in good condition. All of them weren't checked.

Several of you TSP reps said in the beginning, "there is no way that much oil will be consumed through valve seals."

I guess the heads will be coming off within the next week and i'll be sending them back.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

You are right, we did say that. It would extremely hard to consume a quart of oil through guides in 75 miles. I would think a couple of the seals would have to be completely gone to actually pull that off. No one is saying that you don't have a unicorn. We have been trying to get you to actually address the problem for the past month that this thread has been going to eliminate different possibilities. Are you going to even change the seals before pulling the heads off? A visual inspection is worth absolutely nothing.

If you want to send us the heads for inspection you are definitely welcome to do so. We would be happy to inspect them, fix a problem if there is one and get them back to you as quickly as possible. In the mean time, you might throw your factory heads back on and see if the problem is fixed. I would be interested to see if anything changes.

Jon
Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

I agree. even without seals at all that would be alot of oil. The guides would have to be wasted. was the rocker swipe checked when this was put together?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Has a leakdown test been done on this motor?

and how many miles are on that oil on the dipstick from the pic on the previous page?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
As I said before, several of the seals were checked, which were all in good condition. All of them weren't checked.

Several of you TSP reps said in the beginning, "there is no way that much oil will be consumed through valve seals."

I guess the heads will be coming off within the next week and i'll be sending them back.
if you dont plan on running NO PCV system to test it for real then i suggest just change the damn valve seals... or swap the heads... untill then you're not going to know anything...

welcome to building cars, its expensive and sucks...
Old 12-19-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
We have been trying to get you to actually address the problem for the past month that this thread has been going to eliminate different possibilities.

And you have obviously succeded. I have spent about $275 in the past month addressing the problem, which still isn't fixed. I've called in a couple of favors from a friend or it would have cost me a good bit more.

Are you going to even change the seals before pulling the heads off?
I don't think so Jon. I have never done this before so i'll have to pay someone to do it, because I don't want the "inexperienced" card to come into play again as in the beginning of this thread with my builder. Besides that, You, Matt, and Trevor have all said "I don't think your issues will be fixed by replacing valve seals". If thats the case, why would I waste my money having the valve seals replaced when it probably won't help, and then i'm out another $200 or so for labor, and still left with the same problem.

At this point, it is much more feesable for me to get a refund and just buy another set of heads. I don't want to pay shipping TO and then FROM TSP again or pay to have an experienced person replace the seals

Just let me know what you would like and I will make it happen.
I'm sorry, but I think i'm ready to try a new set of heads. The PRC's will be pulled off as soon as I have time.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Like I said previously, you are definitely more than welcome to send the heads back for inspection. If there is anything out of spec we will get the problem corrected immediately for you. We still have not determined the problem is in the heads. You will need leak down numbers and ring gaps as well. Adding a catch can has not fixed anything. It has only helped eliminate the PCV problem. Judging by how black the oil is after a couple hundred miles, it would appear you have a blow by issue. That's what we have been trying to get at the entire time. But again, if you would like TSP to inspect the heads, feel free to shoot them back to us and we will get on them right away.

Jon

Jon
Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA

I'm sorry, but I think i'm ready to try a new set of heads. The PRC's will be pulled off as soon as I have time.

Let me know how cheap you want to sell the PRC's for?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RoadconeTuning
if you dont plan on running NO PCV system to test it for real then i suggest just change the damn valve seals......
How would running NO PCV system determine if it's coming from the bottom end when the catch can should be catching anything if it is?

Adding a catch can has not fixed anything. It has only helped eliminate the PCV problem. Judging by how black the oil is after a couple hundred miles, it would appear you have a blow by issue.
If he does have a blow by issue then how do you imagine the oil is getting on top of the valves now that there is a catch can in place?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

We have offered to send new valve seals and he had already purchased them from another vendor. I don't have a problem with offering parts to help eliminate possibilities where we can. That being said, we don't cover the labor of other shops. As mentioned above, it is a pretty common practice. It just isn't feasible to to cover labor on everyone who doesn't have the ability to work on their car. We're alway available to help & will gladly inspect the cylinder heads if the customer requests it.

Jon

Are you saying then you would pay for HIS time and HIS labor if he knew how to work on HIS car? I mean, I would think of REGUARDLESS of who is doing the work, that if you sent a faulty part, you would cover their time/labor. Again, that is saying IF it is a faulty part. I do know that your heads have not been confirmed as the problem, and I do know that from what I have read you guys do bang up work in most cases. I would think that IF it is your fault however, that some type of compensation is in order for all of the trouble this guy has gone through. If that is not your normal practice, it should be. Again, this man went through the trouble of installing a part that you sent him, and IF it is bad from the get go, his time (or WHOEVER did the install) is worth being compensated for.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gen414
Are you saying then you would pay for HIS time and HIS labor if he knew how to work on HIS car? I mean, I would think of REGUARDLESS of who is doing the work, that if you sent a faulty part, you would cover their time/labor. Again, that is saying IF it is a faulty part. I do know that your heads have not been confirmed as the problem, and I do know that from what I have read you guys do bang up work in most cases. I would think that IF it is your fault however, that some type of compensation is in order for all of the trouble this guy has gone through. If that is not your normal practice, it should be. Again, this man went through the trouble of installing a part that you sent him, and IF it is bad from the get go, his time (or WHOEVER did the install) is worth being compensated for.
Good luck finding any shop that will do that. It's just not done that I've heard of. What if the guy "not saying he is" sucks and takes forever to get things done so labor's way more expensive than it should be? It just leaves too much room for shops to get robbed blind. If the heads are the culprit, then the vendor should (and sounds like will) stand behind their product and correct that problem. If this all seems completely insane I recommend you find a different hobby.

Quick Reply: Stroker's come in