Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker's come in

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stroker's come in

My build was just finished about a month ago and has been smoking like a train ever since.

Build details:
Stock 2001 LS1 block bored to 3.905
TSP 383 Forged Rotating Assembly (Eagle 4"crank, rods, and Diamond -2 pistons)
Total Seal rings (file fit)
MS4 Cam
LS2 timing chain set
PRC 5.3 Stage 2.5 Heads milled to 59cc assembled
Cometic head gaskets (.051)
Melling High volume/pressure oil pump
Stock water pump, balancer, and ported TB

The night of the first startup, it was smoking pretty badly at idle (white smoke) and much worse while driving. Wasn't sure what was wrong so we checked the oil level and it had consumed 1/2qt within the first 30 miles. Added some oil, went another 30 miles, then changed the oil. I called TSP to ask what might be the problem and they suggested right off to put thread sealant on all the rocker arm bolts. So, we took out all the bolts and sealed them with thread sealant.

This did help the problem, but certainly didn't fix it. Now at idle, the car doesn't smoke nearly as much, but when taking off from a stop, I still leave a decent sized cloud. If I floor the car, it leaves a massive pollution cloud.

I called TSP back and told them this didn't fix the problem and that we were now beginning to think it was the valve seals. I was assured it wasn't the valve seals and that my engine is probably not breathing well enough and has too much Positive Crankcase Pressure.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with larger cubed engines?

Am I correct in thinking it could be bad valve seals?

Any advice is appriciated. TIA

Last edited by MrDavid; 11-19-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your engine a TSP shortblock?

In other words was it assembled by TSP, or did you buy a kit and assemble it yourself?

Do you have previous experience in assembling engines? I am trying to figure out if you did any number of things which could cause your issues. In reading your post it says TSP shortblock. But, your posts talks about you assembling, disassembling,and re-assembling it. so, I am just looking to clarify.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No. It is a TSP rotating assembly. It was not "built" by TSP. Sorry for the mis-clarification.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me start off by saying that this IS NOT A TSP SHORT-BLOCK! You purchased a rotating assembly from us. You get a TSP short-block when we send you an ASSEMBLED short-block. You received parts plain and simple. I remember Jason mentioning you calling last week. Do you understand that you cannot burn 1/2 quart of oil through valve seals in 30 miles. Your PRC heads have FACTORY VALVE GUIDES. They were installed by GM. Jason asked you about the leakdown numbers on your engine, and you told him that it was "good". He pushed and asked for specific numbers, and you said you had no idea. We try again and again to help customers, but you blow us off when we give you legitimate advice based on our experience. We do this for a living. We're not going to blow you off with BS answers. There could be a problem with the build of the short-block. Jason told you that we would send you valve seals if you want to try them, but I can promise you that it will not solve your problem if you're really seeing the amount of oil consumption that you mention. Crankcase breathing is VERY important, as is proper ring gaps. Proper break-in is also very important considering that most oils on the shelf do not have the ZDDP additive to allow rings to seal. This is why we send a bottle of GM engine oil supplement with every engine we ship out.

We're here to help in any way we can, but there are other issues taking place. If sealing intake rocker arm bolts was missed other things could have been as well. You can replace the seals and rule it out, but I will bet money that your oil consumption issues are not affected.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 11-19-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil consumption was only the first 50 miles. After the first oil change it hasn't consumed hardly any, but is still smoking white smoke and has a burnt oil smell.

I do not know the leakdown numbers because I was not the one who performed the test. The builder of the engine did and told me they were fine.

Engine was also broken in with 10w-30 VR-1 Racing Oil
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default smokin bitch

you stated "white smoke" not blue smoke or black- each has a different cause white smoke is usually coolant being burnt - like from a blown head gasket. Blue smoke is oil being burnt so if you are using that much oil are you sure its not blue smoke? (black would be from running way too rich) now I agree with Trevor - doubtful that valve seals could leak this bad to burn this much so I believe he's on the right track wanting leak down information - its probably the rings installed incorrectly- I.E. gaps not staggered properly or installed wrong side up and possibly the wrong gap or wrong surface finish on the block for the type of rings or all of the above. I would wonder how much experience the builder had with LS engines - it is however possible of a human error somewhere. check the basics and get back with TSP I'm sure they are more than willing to help you out. good luck. its things like this that make me want to go crate engine all the way - I feel your pain
Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zman1969
are you sure its not blue smoke?
I'm sure. Its white, no blue at all.

Originally Posted by zman1969
I would wonder how much experience the builder had with LS engines
This is the 3rd LS1 he has built.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Did you double check your pcv system?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

are you using a catch can?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoenix1987
Did you double check your pcv system?
I ordered a LS6 valley cover yesterday. I'm going to install it in a couple of weeks and change the PCV system to eliminate that issue. Should have done that from the beginning.

Originally Posted by santiago
are you using a catch can?
Nope.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's either one of these things or a combination of them:

- Rings incorrectly installed / filed
- PCV problem
- Coolant leak / head gasket
Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Did you use brand new head bolts to secure the heads?

EDIT: Also, did you tune for the new setup?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine smokes and burns a little bit of Oil, but I found the cause to be a bad O2 Sensor, and the PCV System wasn't working right. I straightened all that stuff out, so hopefully it will be better the next time I run it.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it smoke all the time or when cold.
is getting colder outside and all cars are gonna smoke a little from condesation
Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well it spounds like your rings are not seating in properly. when the block was fiinsh hone was it done in a sprial or 60 degree thach? honestly if a re-builder has been doing it for years it doesnt matter how many ls series engines he has done. more than likley he sees diesles that are way more tempermental than ls's. they see every make and madle and people that think they should just specialize in one particular engine is an idiot and ignorant.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cabech984
Did you use brand new head bolts to secure the heads?

EDIT: Also, did you tune for the new setup?
New ARP head Studs, and new setup only has a base tune for a MS4 cam now.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
Mine smokes and burns a little bit of Oil, but I found the cause to be a bad O2 Sensor, and the PCV System wasn't working right. I straightened all that stuff out, so hopefully it will be better the next time I run it.
My 02 sensors are also new. I am going to fix the ventilation problem as best I know how, then hope and pray its not the rings.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Restricted User

Did you have any extra port work done to the heads? I've had a set of AFR's that cracked when the rocker studs were torqued. You couldn't see the cracks until we pressure tested them and knew where they were. The car smoked like hell and got worse after it warmed up. Little cracks or valve problems can make it smoke like hell.

Disclaimer:

This is not a bash on TSP's heads, it could happen to any head of any brand.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Teching In

I could also be left over crap in your cats from the old engine going/ being removed and installed.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like rings to me. Oil can burn and give off a whitish smoke. It's not always blue...

Quick Reply: Stroker's come in