Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

News on AFR heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Re: News on AFR heads

I'd like to see flow numbers with the intake (LS6) attached through all lift ranges at 28 inches and 3.9 bore....
That's exactly what I was thinking and flow numbers with an LSX intake as well.

Does a stock displacement LS1/LS6 have enough displacement to take advantage of the LSX and the AFR's?
Old 10-13-2003, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$2800 is a no-go for me for the CNC heads.

Given the differences in flow benches, my admittedly uninformed opinion would be that they aren't demonstrating a significant advantage over the Patriot LS6 style heads... which are $1000 less.

Get them under $2000 for the CNC ported 205's and you might have something there, but at this point I honestly can't see why I would get worked up about them given what else is currently available.

Would some experts chime in and tell me where I have this wrong?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given the differences in flow benches, my admittedly uninformed opinion would be that they aren't demonstrating a significant advantage over the Patriot LS6 style heads... which are $1000 less.

Get them under $2000 for the CNC ported 205's and you might have something there, but at this point I honestly can't see why I would get worked up about them given what else is currently available.

Exactly the way I feel. I would have to see a dyno/strip test with PPS2 LS6's vs AFR's 205 being the only variables between the two.

Even then there better be some pretty significant gains to justify the extra $1000.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly the way I feel. I would have to see a dyno/strip test with PPS2 LS6's vs AFR's 205 being the only variables between the two.

Even then there better be some pretty significant gains to justify the extra $1000.

The main advantage I can see to these heads aren't the peak flow numbers... it's the relationship between flow numbers and port volume. Generally speaking, the smaller the port for a given amount of air flow, the higher the velocity (not true 100% of the time, because port shape/turbulence is not considered). The fact that the AFR 205's seem to flow as well (or almost as well) as some of the current S2 offerings isn't all that impressive in and of its self... but the fact that the AFR's do it through a port that is 15-20 cc's smaller is impressive, and here's why: because a high velocity port will fill the cylinder better. More air/fuel in = more power. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, there may not be all THAT much of a gain in peak numbers with the AFR heads over a set of thoroughly worked factory castings, but I would expect torque (and, consequently, area under the curve) to be up significantly.

The thing with heads is that there is a fine balance between volume and velocity- you need a head that is going to provide enough air volume (read: big port), but you need that same port to provide as high of a charge velocity as possible (read: small port). The answer?? An efficiently shaped port of moderate volume. This also explains why bigger motors work well with large ports than smaller motors do... because for a given RPM level (read: piston speed), the bigger motor will have more "suck" with which to induce speed in the intake port. A smaller motor would need to be wound tighter (read: higher piston speed) in order to achieve the same result.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Burnout

I understand the concepts you outlined and agree with you. Which is why I feel a dyno test or a track test will be the only way to do these heads any justice.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Whats the good word Tony?
Old 01-01-2004, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony,
Wow, 40-45 RWHP gain over a stock LS6 head on a 5.7?? That would be awesome because we just had a cam only Z06 make 417 RWHP and with the best we have seen from anyone elses ported LS6 Z06 being 442 RWHP that would put your little head at 457-462 RWHP.

Sorta sounds like a bold statement considering you guys haven't dyno tested these things. It will be interesting to see.

Regards, Brian Tooley
Old 01-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jfm
The bare casting heads sound great,I would buy a set right now if ready for my new motor.I would give them to Jay at Absolute Speed to hand port and finish.

Jay's ports are based on a smallest volume to achieve the highest flow.I cant wait to see what a set of your 200 cc,that outflow LS6 heads already,will do when finished by Jay.I am going to say that Jays new port will be around 205 cc when finished.
That sounds like a great plan! I'm going to be saving up for a set of these puppies!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TTT TTT

Last edited by JamMasterJ; 01-08-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Teching In

i am not dissin any of the independent machine shops that port heads, but sending some company your heads and say 2000.00 to 2300.00 to have them assembled and ported is outlandish. i think the AFR heads are worth every penny they are asking. i have seen a set on line goin for 2495.00 for the 205 cc heads. look at what you are paying for. not just flow numbers but a high quality set of heads with decent flow numbers.. also some of the best customer relations out their. they stand behind their product 110% and if you have any problems they will work with you to ressolve them. also you are gettin brand new castings that in my eyes have huge upgrades compared to stock ls1/ ls6 castings. as far as them making a bold statement about their numbers is crap. they have been in buis for along time and know what they are doing. i know too many people that have the AFR sb chevy and ford heads and have had nothing buyt awesome results. i am not hopping on any band waggon but i think they have come out with an awesome head with many improvements and i will be getting a set my self. keep us informed on any new info Tony.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JamMasterJ
Brian, as if you care, but when competiors dog into anothers thread it just makes you look bad. Tony has been very forthcoming is stating hes "cautiously optomistic". He is not "claiming", he's hoping and predicting. TEA is among my favorite choices, and is one of the best, but this just makes me crazy to see you add to this thread like that. And, I am not alone.

I wouldn't really call Brian a competitor as TEA does not make their own heads. Also they do port existing AFR offerings for customers. I would think he has a stake in this as when a customer does send a set of LS1 AFR heads to TEA they will have to far exceed the numbers claimed by AFR for their heads when the port work is done to keep their customers happy. I would think of AFR as more of a vendor of heads for TEA to offer their heads in staged versions. Hopefully the AFR LS1s are a great tool for both AFR and TEA.

Jess
Old 01-02-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the item that's in most of us in the wait and see crowd about the AFR's is the AFR LT1. The ported AFR LT1 heads were pretty much on par with a ported GM LT1/LT4 head.

It will be nice if the AFR's are the cat's meow because they'll only get better over time as new ports, valve jobs, dyno testing & track data etc are collected.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

My hope is the heads will be above average. I need them for the chamber size. . I will likely have to run the ported 6.0s until the AFR's come out...which could give me a nice comparison.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Probably the best part about the AFR's will be in the rush to "upgrade" many sets of used ported LS1 heads will be free'd up for the masses.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello...TONY....
Old 01-06-2004, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have a dyno test yet?
Old 01-06-2004, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

Brian, I am in the market to buy a set of heads but will not even consider your heads because of your regular negative comments about other peoples heads. Also, a friend of mine replaced his stock LS6 heads with your St2 5.3 heads and lost 8 hp under 5,500 and only gained 10 over 5,500 and there was a spike on the dyno so it may have been less. You are a head porter not a head builder. AFR are hands down the best old school BB and SB heads on the market. I am going to wait and see what these heads can do before I spend that kind of dough. Either way, TEA's will never be on my car. Refrain from making silly comments. You are only hurting yourself. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but you need to check yourself bro.