Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap Needs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Swap Needs?

Alright I finally got around to getting a new motor and plan on doing a cam swap while I am swapping motors. I haven't decided on what cam exactly but it will be in the mild range as I still need the car very streetable and driveable.

This is going to be my first time fooling with the internals on a motor and I want to make sure I have everything I need when I go to do the work.

So far my list looks like this:

cam
ported oil pump
timing chain/gears
pushrods
valve springs
gaskets

I am also debating on whether to swap out the lifters or not

Anything else you guys can think of please let me know. I want to have everything done while the motor is out of the car.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

if you change lifters, add in head bolts and head gaskets...kinda pricey to do if there's nothing wrong with the ones you have
Old 12-01-2008, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

if you dont already have an aftermarket pulley and want one, it would be a great time to do so while you have the stocker off anyway
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do a search and you'll find everything you need..

Also for a step by step of it all and a detailed list, check out ls1howto.com..
Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
Do a search and you'll find everything you need..

Also for a step by step of it all and a detailed list, check out ls1howto.com..
yeah I have the ls1howto guide already

if you dont already have an aftermarket pulley and want one, it would be a great time to do so while you have the stocker off anyway
yep I plan on doing this as well

if you change lifters, add in head bolts and head gaskets...kinda pricey to do if there's nothing wrong with the ones you have
the motor is used and I want to cover myself as much as possible so I won't have to go through replacing parts for quite some time. I am just up in the air on the lifter situation, I know its a good deal more work but for peace of mind it might be worth it
Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"It's the vampire bus of the undead!... They're reverse vampires... they crave the sun, they love it.... They're from Tansylvania!"

The ammount of lift your cam has will determine how long your pushrods need to be. I would buy a pushrod length checker unless you are buying and off the shelf cam or from a sponsor who can reccomend you a length

You shouldnt need to swap the timing gears unless your going double roller. The LS2 chain fits the ls1 gears so you dont really need to swap them.

A big thing you need to remember is RED THREADLOCKER. This goes on your cam bolts, cam retainer bolts, crank pulley bolt, and rocker arm bolts.

You may also want some 5/16" (if i remember right) wood or metal rods to keep your lifters com falling (if you're not replacing them). I had my engine on an engine stand so i just spun it upside when i swap my cam.

99bloncoss i believe is the one who rented me the tools to use for the cam swap (pushrod length checker, valve spring tool, etc) and i think he rents everything else you'll need
Old 12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

How many miles are on the engine?

I had to change mine because the cam I pulled had a dead lobe, so the lifters had to go for my piece of mind.

Didn't mean to sound like I was talking you out of it, if in doubt...change them. It might cost an extra $2-300 but that's less than a rebuild.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

119k miles but no problems with it strong compression and such plus I already have arp head bolts
Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny

99bloncoss i believe is the one who rented me the tools to use for the cam swap (pushrod length checker, valve spring tool, etc) and i think he rents everything else you'll need

Yep I still provide the rental if someone needs them
Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

I thought "blonco" looked funny haha.