Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who to get a "fancy" valve job from?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Can you provide some performance that speaks for itself?
I also find it curious that a bunch of LT1 customers suffer from valve float with his valve train setups. I see that he has gone to another LS1 site since he keeps getting banned from the main sites with non-sponsor soliciting and his continuous bashing of LSx performance shops when he has no real results to post himself.
LT or LS results.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jessica
Hey SpeedDemon aren't you the kid who trashed a set of heads by putting to long of pushrods in them??? I've seen you talk a lot a smack about a few shops, seems like you screw up and need someone else to blame it on?
I would like to know how you would trash a set of heads buy running too long of push rods? I know it would be possible if they were just way too long but man.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
I would like to know how you would trash a set of heads buy running too long of push rods? I know it would be possible if they were just way too long but man.
I'm guessing by reading the post above that the guides being cracked would have been caused by the loads being put on them from the long push rods. The push rods being to long throws the geometry out of wack which puts loads on the valve guides that shouldn't be there. The guides are just guides not supports. Running push rods to long like you must have done is bad on several parts.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Dare I say it, but if it were me being in TX I'd go straight to Craig Gallant (if he's still in the business) before even coming close to exerting the energy to pick up a phone and dial Bert.
ill try to look this fella up, thx. have any idea on contact info or shop name? i did a quik google search before asking.. i found articles with people talking about his work etc. but i couldnt nail down a way to contact him??

HELLBENT - is LI long island or?? would you be so kind as to throw out some shop names? if i can get a ballin (or at least better than "standard") valve job for 300 bones im in..

KCS..."SAM kids don't need "donations". There is literally a wall of practice heads and blocks to mess up. Even if you got a student to do it, remember, he is a student. I'm not saying any of them are unable to do a decent valvejob, but you'd be better off having it done by a professional who has been doing them for a while and has a reputaion to uphold, than a student who just learned how to do a valvejob 3 months ago.

Second, it's not how many angles, it's what angles that make or break a valvejob. You'd be surprised what shops just go with your standard 30-45-60 with a 70* bowl cut and call that a "performance" valvejob.

Greg Good/HKE would be my first pick, but I don't know what kind of price/turn around time that would be. Robert @ LME would be my second pick and they'd probably get them back to you pretty quickly."

1. yea i dont know how things work at SAM, it was just a thought. not trying to belittle the students with my "donations". relax.

2. i was thinking 69 angles woulda been pretty cool, but i guess 1 angle will do since number of angles dont make a sh*t. ha im jk.. but yea i've been doing a lot of reading and yes thats what i've gathered.. its the angles you use not how many are present (necessarily). i thought F1 cars ran like 10+ angles tho? i guess the number of angles do matter? but uhh not in my application so much.. and darn sure not in the cost effective area

3. ill be more than happy to give those guys a call.

thx guys for your responses! very helpful indeed.. i ordered vizard's book on heads today.. im no stranger to a die grinder but im no pro (i do have the whole setup minus the flowbench, but i've been reading about riggin up my shop vac.. lol frankenstein project).. ive been relying on intuition for "what might work", and usually try to remove as little material as possible (risky recipe.. intuition can be very dangerous). i've had good success in doing that however (luck?) but hopefully the book will help me learn somethin
Old 12-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
ill try to look this fella up, thx. have any idea on contact info or shop name? i did a quik google search before asking.. i found articles with people talking about his work etc. but i couldnt nail down a way to contact him??
Honestly I don't even know if he's porting anymore. You may want to try to contact MTI (not even sure if they're still in business) and ask around there since he used to work there years ago. Worth a shot at least. If not, you've got to know some fast LSx boys around there? I mean Houston holds the title of having many of the fastest f-bodys in the nation and that's been a fact for at least a decade now. You can also try the admin of this site, NineBall since he was heavily in the game. He should know peoples.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
1. yea i dont know how things work at SAM, it was just a thought. not trying to belittle the students with my "donations". relax.

2. i was thinking 69 angles woulda been pretty cool, but i guess 1 angle will do since number of angles dont make a sh*t. ha im jk.. but yea i've been doing a lot of reading and yes thats what i've gathered.. its the angles you use not how many are present (necessarily). i thought F1 cars ran like 10+ angles tho? i guess the number of angles do matter? but uhh not in my application so much.. and darn sure not in the cost effective area

3. ill be more than happy to give those guys a call.
Didn't mean to come across as abrasive, but it's a pretty common assumption that SAM is just dying for "donations" or that you can get good machine work for a good price if you "donate" your stuff. It's not that way at all, and for good reason.

Technically, no matter what you are gonna get at least 3 angles. My point was that more isn't necessarily better. At least not to the point of shopping around for who can do more angles. But now that i think about it, the only time I could see that is in the exhaust, where more angles are better if applied properly.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, Craig Gallant is still in business and doing the same awesome work he always has. His performance DOES speak for itself. PM me and I can get you in touch with him.

Thanks,
Shane

Quick Reply: who to get a "fancy" valve job from?