Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

critique my setup... let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot guys, so how much rwhp and torque do you think I'll be making with this setup?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Someone correct me if im wrong, but i dont think a AFR 225 Big bore will even work on a 346.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
more volume is not neccesarily a good thing on these engines. id stick with a gm pump. plus i have seen issues with a couple mellings right out the box. esp with a double roller. my car has a stock pump in it and never a single issue and plenty of oil.

What issues.... so you have to do a little grinding to make a BETTER pump fit with a DR TC. Even the casting is better not to mention the guts.....

In my mind more volume at the CORRECT presure = better oiling and less wear. And it is KNOWN that more volume on a worn motor will prolong it's life.

Sooo.. Please tell me how 18% more volume is actually detrimental to to engine longevity
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSmokin1
Someone correct me if im wrong, but i dont think a AFR 225 Big bore will even work on a 346.
I have no idea, but I hope you are wrong. Why do you think they wont work on a 346?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
What issues.... so you have to do a little grinding to make a BETTER pump fit with a DR TC. Even the casting is better not to mention the guts.....

In my mind more volume at the CORRECT presure = better oiling and less wear. And it is KNOWN that more volume on a worn motor will prolong it's life.

Sooo.. Please tell me how 18% more volume is actually detrimental to to engine longevity
by all means feel free to search the forum. this has been discussed many times. im not turning this thread into an argument.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

by all means feel free to search the forum. this has been discussed many times. im not turning this thread into an argument.

I appreciate everyone’s advice. You in particular have been very helpful, and I appreciate your time and effort on this thread. I only want to know what you and others in this forum think about my setup with the main objective of learning and probably making the right decision and plans for my 225 big bore heads. In no way am I going to argue about this subject with people trying to help me; I would really appreciate if you and others would continue giving me their advice about my setup.

Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't mean to "Jack" this thread but part of the OP questions did concern oil pumps.

I am sure you are referring to the "theory" of too much oil being pumped to the top of the engine therefore starving the bottom but I can't find a single case where that has actually been proven.... Right weight oil at the right temp this should never be an isuue IMHO.

I guess we can have a friendly disagreement which is what these info sharing forums should be all about

I love your setup BTW and would have something similiar ( Stroker,TFS, 1 7/8 LT'S etc....) but my kids in private school have put things on hold......
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
9 Second Club

I didn't mean to "Jack" this thread but part of the OP questions did concern oil pumps.

I am sure you are referring to the "theory" of too much oil being pumped to the top of the engine therefore starving the bottom but I can't find a single case where that has actually been proven.... Right weight oil at the right temp this should never be an isuue IMHO.

I guess we can have a friendly disagreement which is what these info sharing forums should be all about

I love your setup BTW and would have something similiar ( Stroker,TFS, 1 7/8 LT'S etc....) but my kids in private school have put things on hold......
thank you. and its packing a stock gm pump-not even ported, and a stock ls2 chain. so far i have had very good luck. all i did was shim the spring on the pump for a few more psi.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carlos_Garza
I have no idea, but I hope you are wrong. Why do you think they wont work on a 346?
Are these Part #1630? If so, these are specifically designed for 4.00 or larger bore cylinders (hence the big bore name) and have a 72cc chamber. However, according to the post from Tony Mamo below you can use them on a stock bore LS1 but require a 4.130 bore head gasket. I would definitely contact him just to make sure.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/2364655-post93.html
Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Without a doubt the LS series motors have a oil drain back problem at high rpms. That's why some drill a hole in the lifter trays to help alleviate this problem. Do a search on this mod and you can see that Kurt formerly of W2W recommends this mod based on experience with this very problem. Overfilling the oil pan will also help to some degree.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Are these Part #1630? If so, these are specifically designed for 4.00 or larger bore cylinders (hence the big bore name) and have a 72cc chamber. However, according to the post from Tony Mamo below you can use them on a stock bore LS1 but require a 4.130 bore head gasket. I would definitely contact him just to make sure.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/2364655-post93.html
Thanks man, this is going to help me a lot!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Would building a 383 stroker make a big difference with the AFR 225 big bore heads and using the rest of my current setup?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carlos_Garza
Would building a 383 stroker make a big difference with the AFR 225 big bore heads and using the rest of my current setup?
if u do a stroker thats really not going to help u at all. u would need to do a 383 big bore/ short stroke.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Sounds like a good setup . I would just do a ls6 ported oil pump and prob look into some new rockers with those 225 heads.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

if u do a stroker thats really not going to help u at all. u would need to do a 383 big bore/ short stroke.
Thanks for the advice, what I'm going to do is try this setup out and see if it's what I'm looking for, and go from there... I'll post dyno numbers as sonn as I get the car running.

Originally Posted by 2001z
Sounds like a good setup . I would just do a ls6 ported oil pump and prob look into some new rockers with those 225 heads.
You are right, replacing the rockers is going to be a must. About using an LS6 ported oil pump, I decided to go with a Melling 10296 High Volume Oil Pump.