Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

critique my setup... let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default critique my setup... let me know what you think

Most of the parts are either on its way, on my garage or installed. I would like to know what you guys think about my setup and the possible problems I may encounter and what am I definitely doing wrong and need to change.

This is my mod list....

Have:
AFR 225 heads - not installed yet
MS4 cam 239/242 @.050 649/609 111lsa - not installed yet
FAST 92/92 setup - not installed yet
Melling 10296 Oil Pump - not installed yet
ARP 134-6006 8740 Rod Bolts Chevy LS1 Small Block - not installed yet
Cometic head gasket 0.035 compressed thickness- not installed yet
160 Tstat - Installed

Need:
dual springs or extreme springs, what should I go with?
7.400 Chrome Moly pushrods
LS7 Roller Lifters
LS1 LS6 Double Roller Timing Chain Set
Wideband

What do you think about, my .0028 quench area?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one thats a tight gasket. bit tightter then i would use. two i think you would be better off using a thicker gasket and milling the heads to help gain the compression you want. i would also use a stock gm ls6 oil pump and measure the pushrods and not just assume the 7.4. mine came in at 7.450 with milled heads.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
one thats a tight gasket. bit tightter then i would use. two i think you would be better off using a thicker gasket and milling the heads to help gain the compression you want. i would also use a stock gm ls6 oil pump and measure the pushrods and not just assume the 7.4. mine came in at 7.450 with milled heads.
thanks a lot for the comments. Why is the LS6 oil pump a better option than the Melling 10296 Oil Pump?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

id look into fly cutting
Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Patriot Dual valve springs here.

LS6 oil pump for OEM reliablility i would guess, thats what i just installed on my car...

Also add gaskets to your list, water pump X2, timing cover, (reusing valve cover gaskets are usually fine). I'm not sure about going with new/hardend pushrods becuase your going with new heads Otherwise i would stay with stock pushrods, I'd rather bend a pushrod than drop a valve

Are you doing the work or dropping it off at a shop?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos_Garza
thanks a lot for the comments. Why is the LS6 oil pump a better option than the Melling 10296 Oil Pump?
The melling is a better pump. The casting is nicer and it flows 18% more than a LS6. Stick with it.

I would prolly go .040 on the cometics. And measure PR length. And call AFR and see that you can safely mill cause I am guessing it will close on a .040 HG. Yes I know AFR's will clear a litte more than a OEM head but it is worth a call IMHO.

Sounds like a stout setup when you get it together
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

hardended pushrods are needed when installing a bigger cam and heavier springs. Problem areas i can remember are remember to put some silicone at each corner of the oil pan gast where the front cover meets it, it WILL leak if you dont. after installing the cam and heads and everything, check the length of the pushrod and get a correct length dont just assume, 1) it will rod power if too long or too short, 2) wear out parts quicker since its not aligned right.

All in all sounds like a good setup, hope you are full-bolton!! Also get you a 85mm lid and MAF. And FTRA if you dont have it
Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ditto. Degree that cam and check PTV accurately.

Patriot Gold dual springs here along with Comp Hi-tech push rods. Dont skimp on your valve train. You will sleep easier at night.

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
id look into fly cutting
Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We will mesure pr length and ptv, if flycutt is needed then it will be done, melling 96 is a much better pump than a stock or ported ls6, my built forged 346 engine has one and at idle oil pressure is about 285 kpa

I like quench area, it will end up about .03 but would you use thicker head gaskets?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
id look into fly cutting
I think that the fly cutting a of the pistons and the cometics .040 will be a must... I'm not much of a mechanic, but most likely, 2 friends that know that they are doing, and I will start doing the built in about a week.

Hopefully the car will be running by the first week of next year. I also have plans of swapping the axle and doing the rear suspension.

Thanks a lot for the comments, keep them coming...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 AM
on2
On The Tree

Just curious why are you going with the AFR 225's instead of the 205's.

Your list looks very good. I agree that the minimum you should go with the head gasket is 0.040" and mill the head if you want more compression. I've asked and searched about head gaskets thinner than 0.040" and found that the piston the head clearance is already at the low with 0.040".

Depending on what you're doing a LS2 chain/guide is probably suffice and lighter than a double roller setup.

You might want to look at porting your FAST intake while it is out. If you don't want to spend money doing it then do at least some work yourself. There are several very good informative threads on here with pictures on where and how to port the FAST intakes.

On the cam you could go with a custom grind from Patrick G and/or Predator Z. Custom grinds don't cost more than anything off the shelf so I would go custom and have something spec'd/designed to fit your needs/criteria.

Last edited by on2; 12-18-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by on2
Just curious why are you going with the AFR 225's instead of the 205's.

Your list looks very good. I agree that the minimum you should go with the head gasket is 0.040" and mill the head if you want more compression. I've asked and searched about head gaskets thinner than 0.040" and found that the piston the head clearance is already at the low with 0.040".

Depending on what you're doing a LS2 chain/guide is probably suffice and lighter than a double roller setup.

You might want to look at porting your FAST intake while it is out. If you don't want to spend money doing it then do at least some work yourself. There are several very good informative threads on here with pictures on where and how to port the FAST intakes.

On the cam you could go with a custom grind from Patrick G and/or Predator Z. Custom grinds don't cost more than anything off the shelf so I would go custom and have something spec'd/designed to fit your needs/criteria.
The reason I'm doing the 225 heads instead of the 205 is because I bought them used and not very expensive. The one problem I have now is that they are BIG BORE, so I really need to find a way to get my compression at a good level. I don't think I'll be installing the .035 gasket; I might just go with a .040 gasket and just mill the heads, how much? I have no idea ...

About porting the FAST intake, I'll look that up, that's a great idea.

Thanks for the comments, please keep them coming....
Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would suggest calling Tony Mamo. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, he's the premier FAST intake porting Guru. He can also advise on the rest of your combination and would know this stuff better than most.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
The melling is a better pump. The casting is nicer and it flows 18% more than a LS6. Stick with it.

I would prolly go .040 on the cometics. And measure PR length. And call AFR and see that you can safely mill cause I am guessing it will close on a .040 HG. Yes I know AFR's will clear a litte more than a OEM head but it is worth a call IMHO.

Sounds like a stout setup when you get it together
but IIRC sometimes the LS engines have problems with oil PRESSURE, not oil volume....not related...pressure does not = volume
Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with 7.425 chomemoly pushrods, patriot extreme dual springs, thunder racing ported oil pump......be sure to check your p/v clearance!!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gectek
but IIRC sometimes the LS engines have problems with oil PRESSURE, not oil volume....not related...pressure does not = volume
I agree and I would rather have more volume in ADDITION to correct pressure

I would also consider a single row LS2 Gm chain. They are plenty strong and you won't have to shim the 296 OP.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why do you want more volume? what will more volume do without the use of an external cooler?...that is more volume in a diff way though. pumping the same amount of oil, just more per cycle...but what would the help?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

I would also consider a single row LS2 Gm chain. They are plenty strong and you won't have to shim the 296 OP.
more volume is not neccesarily a good thing on these engines. id stick with a gm pump. plus i have seen issues with a couple mellings right out the box. esp with a double roller. my car has a stock pump in it and never a single issue and plenty of oil.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMmexican
I would go with 7.425 chomemoly pushrods, patriot extreme dual springs, thunder racing ported oil pump......be sure to check your p/v clearance!!!!
thanks a lot for the tip, we'll doble check the p/v clearance.

I wanted to be on the safe side, but I think I'll be ok with a single row chain from an LS2.

I'll try to take pics of the built and post them on this thread.

The one thing that keeps me worried is if I'll be able to have enough torque down low with the AFR225 big bore heads. What compression would you guys look for with this setup in order to get as much power down low as possible.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carlos_Garza
thanks a lot for the tip, we'll doble check the p/v clearance.

I wanted to be on the safe side, but I think I'll be ok with a single row chain from an LS2.

I'll try to take pics of the built and post them on this thread.

The one thing that keeps me worried is if I'll be able to have enough torque down low with the AFR225 big bore heads. What compression would you guys look for with this setup in order to get as much power down low as possible.

get that compression as high as u can before it becomes an issue with ptv. but try and keep it under 12:1 for pump gas. 93 octane. i ran 11.5:1 on my head/ cam motor.