Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the !@# does an LS1 with less than 30k on it burn oil as much as gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some good info in here...just wanna keep track as I have a similar issue. Hope you guys can keep this updated!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch...

I have a 01. Bought it with 43k on it.....drive it for 3k and noticed it was burning oil like a mother just like yours. Did a oil change, drove it for another 3k..same thing. Then I started to get a misfire on cylinder 5 one day but only at certain times. At idle, the car felt like it was cammed. I did everything I could. Checked plugs, wires, new PCV, fuel filter etc....still wouldnt stop. FInally, I did a compression test and cylinder 5 tested out at only 35psi with a tea spoon of oil....without the oil it was only cranking 20psi. Called up the dealership I got it from (it was still covered under warranty)..told them what was up, sent it over to the local GM dealer (bought it from a dodge dealer) they did a leak down test and cylinder 5 had a hole in the piston. This was on a full optioned SLP SS...only had intake and exhaust. Was never sprayed or anything. Why it had a hole in the piston was beyond me....it still ran 13.6 @ 106 tho on 7 cylinders lol

long story short, thats how I got my 01 LS6 long block and I didnt hafto pay a dime.

Quick Reply: How the !@# does an LS1 with less than 30k on it burn oil as much as gas?