Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

degree cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One LS1 specific tool to consider is the Crankshaft sprocket which is used to turn the crank and it holds the degree wheel. Very nice piece made by Comp, part #4914.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, it fits over the oil pump drive.

and if your doin heads at the same time, this is a very nice tool. simplifies it. works for sbc, LT1, bbc, and gen III's.

dont remember the part #, but if I rememver right its made by comp cams
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm kinda confuse about the adjustable timing set. Say I installed a cam with the LS2 timing set, how do I do the adjustment?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
I'm kinda confuse about the adjustable timing set. Say I installed a cam with the LS2 timing set, how do I do the adjustment?
You cant because the ls2 set will not be adjustable like an after market adjustable timing chain set.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a thread that discusses tools.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-write-up.html
Old 12-31-2008, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
You cant because the ls2 set will not be adjustable like an after market adjustable timing chain set.
So I've to install the cam dot to dot? If I change to something like Rollmaster, do I still have to degree or just adjust the timing set?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
One LS1 specific tool to consider is the Crankshaft sprocket which is used to turn the crank and it holds the degree wheel. Very nice piece made by Comp, part #4914.
Agree^^^^I have the same socket and found out after I purchased it that Powerhouse Products has the same socket for half the price of the Comp Cams socket.

Here's a link to the Powerhouse: LS1/LS6 Crank Turning Socket
Old 12-31-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Agree^^^^I have the same socket and found out after I purchased it that Powerhouse Products has the same socket for half the price of the Comp Cams socket.
[/URL]
Arrrggghhh!!!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually yes, you can adjust any timming chain if you know what you're doing with a degree wheel. I run LS2 chain/gears and just move around the gear.
I use paint to make my marks for reference. There is no magic in the adjustables, they just save time.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 12-31-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I've to install the cam dot to dot? If I change to something like Rollmaster, do I still have to degree or just adjust the timing set?
If you get the tools linked to in this thread from any of the many sources, you can verify your valve events. If they are advanced or retarded from where they were intended (see your cam card), you can use an adjustable timing set to adjust those events by advancing/retarding the cam timing at the sprocket. Without the adjustable set, you cannot adjust it (yes, I know it sounds painfully obvious). BUT, you would at that point know where you stand and whether or not the cam timing is where intended. You can add the adjustable timing set anytime down the road and dial those VE's in if desired.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Correct: To adjust the VE's you must have an adjustable timing set.
Hey Matt,

This maybe a dumb question but I thought I would ask anyways. Do you degree cams that are done in your shop. I am planning on have you guys doing my H/C swap and wonder if you guys would do this as part of the job. Or would there be another fee. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Actually it isn't half the Comp Cams socket price. That web store is confusing, but the $26 price is for the SBC version. When you select the LS1 version it doesn't update the price, but when you got to checkout you'll see it adds $18 which puts it at the same as the best price I found the Comp Cams version for.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when i did my cam i found that it was 8 degrees off. I talked to texas-speed and they think that it may have been degreed wrong.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mathia
Actually it isn't half the Comp Cams socket price. That web store is confusing, but the $26 price is for the SBC version. When you select the LS1 version it doesn't update the price, but when you got to checkout you'll see it adds $18 which puts it at the same as the best price I found the Comp Cams version for.
OK. I will say it is a very nice tool and it would be expensive for them to make. There is quite a bit of machining in it.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

My cam was roughly 4 degrees off when I installed it "dot-to-dot". Not to move off topic, but if someone needs a degree kit, I still have the Comp Cams "in-car" version I used to degree my cam. I don't need it anymore and could sell it off.

I used an adjustable timing set to make my life easier.

The most difficult part of degreeing the cam (for me) was getting the dial indicator secured on the valve-tip. Since the rocker mounts are radiused it really made it hard to get that thing secured. After 6 hours, though, I got the cam within .3 degrees of the right ICL...I was tired by then and figured it was close enough.

I'm sure there is some tool that could have made that easier...but I didn't have it.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irocss85
but if you were to be doin testing on a dyno you could advance or retard the cam timing (ICL) to move the power band around.
so if your getting the car dyno tuned after the fast, they can advance or retard the timing in the tune?

basically if you get the car dyno tuned you dont need to degree the cam?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

I meant an engine dyno, not a chassis dyno.

no no, it has nothing to do with the "tune" of the car. that is adj. the IGNITION timing, and fuel curves. changing the cam timing is a mechanical change. when the valves open/close relative to when the piston is at tdc. you can make them open earlier or later.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
If you get the tools linked to in this thread from any of the many sources, you can verify your valve events. If they are advanced or retarded from where they were intended (see your cam card), you can use an adjustable timing set to adjust those events by advancing/retarding the cam timing at the sprocket. Without the adjustable set, you cannot adjust it (yes, I know it sounds painfully obvious). BUT, you would at that point know where you stand and whether or not the cam timing is where intended. You can add the adjustable timing set anytime down the road and dial those VE's in if desired.
so am i understanding this correctly you can not degree a ls2 chain setup?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

wow!! nice info..these forums need more people like you who take the time to relay info when they can/want to
Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Very good info here and in the links. Thanks guys! There is nothing more frustrating when degreeing a cam and trying to be very accurate with points of degrees and very small measurements to have your tools move around on you or the degree wheel spin accidentally. Pay a little now and buy the right tools to hold the dial indicator properly to the engine as indicated in the link that 405HP_Z06 posted and the crank turning socket to hold the degree wheel tight. I wasted a lot of time on my last cam change due to figuring a way to hold the dial indicator stable with an aluminum engine and how to keep the degree wheel from moving while rotating the engine with a crank bolt. BTW, for an in car degree wheel, a 9" one works perfect. Not sure how well it will fit with the Comp Cams socket though since it pushes it farther out.
I found out all small parts to hold the dial indicator to the head can be ordered from one site, www.Mcmaster.com. The only difference is the 12mm tubing has an inside diameter of 9mm instead of 8mm.
Attached Thumbnails degree cam?-degreewheelinstalled.jpg  

Quick Reply: degree cam?