Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam for daily...VRX3 or G5X1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which cam for daily...VRX3 or G5X1?

I'm putting a fresh LS6 in my M6 camaro, and I'm looking for a good cam for daily driving duties. I just want a little more power than stock, stock-like driveability, nice sound, and decent fuel economy if it's possible. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a racecar...especially since this car won't see the track. Maybe a good highway blast once in a blue moon when I feel skippy.

The G5X1 and the VRX3 both look like good cams, and I've found some decent info on both (more from Vengeance than LG). So first hand experiences would be great. Vid clips also a plus. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Smile

I don't have the VRX3, but I do run the VRX4 and it is close to what you are asking about. It does have good daily driving manners and you can definately hear the lope but since it has a 114 LSA, it is not too much. My combo was installed at Vengence so everything worked perfectly as I wanted. Mpg is still 28 on the highway.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red Trans Man
I don't have the VRX3, but I do run the VRX4 and it is close to what you are asking about. It does have good daily driving manners and you can definately hear the lope but since it has a 114 LSA, it is not too much. My combo was installed at Vengence so everything worked perfectly as I wanted. Mpg is still 28 on the highway.
X2 for the VRX4. Have one in my car and am very pleased. Very nice street manners and pulls great, you won't go wrong with either the VRX3 or VRX4.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Banned

I had the vx3 in my car and it is a very tame cam you cant go wrong with any of veeance cams. Im running the vindicator now.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

g5x1 i like the extra exhaust.tuned a vette that had that cam i love the midrange
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've installed both these cams quite a few times..

X3- Gives great midrange TQ. Driveability is excellent. If you put an X3 on a 114, bumped the idle up to 900, nobody would even know you had a cam in your car. Typical hp gains are in the 380-400 rwhp range. One car I did made 396/390 with this cam, no pulley, stock 99 heads through full exhaust. Making almost as much TQ as HP is excellent.

G5X1- Very powerful midrange and upper RPM power. The last car I did with this cam made 420/401 through stock heads. Driveability isn't near as smooth as the X3, very lumpy at idle. Cruising driveability is excellent with tuning however.

The preference between these two cams will come down to how smooth you want your car to drive. If you want a setup that runs just like stock and doesn't rattle the shifter, throw the X3 in there. If you want some attention at a stop light, throw the G5x1 in there. Can't lose with either.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian
I've installed both these cams quite a few times..

X3- Gives great midrange TQ. Driveability is excellent. If you put an X3 on a 114, bumped the idle up to 900, nobody would even know you had a cam in your car. Typical hp gains are in the 380-400 rwhp range. One car I did made 396/390 with this cam, no pulley, stock 99 heads through full exhaust. Making almost as much TQ as HP is excellent.

G5X1- Very powerful midrange and upper RPM power. The last car I did with this cam made 420/401 through stock heads. Driveability isn't near as smooth as the X3, very lumpy at idle. Cruising driveability is excellent with tuning however.

The preference between these two cams will come down to how smooth you want your car to drive. If you want a setup that runs just like stock and doesn't rattle the shifter, throw the X3 in there. If you want some attention at a stop light, throw the G5x1 in there. Can't lose with either.

Hope this helps.
That is exactly the type of reply I was wanting. Thank you! It's a tough decision between the two. I want a little lope at idle, I just don't want the car shake that usually comes with that.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an VRx4, and I like it alot the power like said should be in the 380-400 range depending on bolt on mods and drive train. Some cars have gone over 400. Also I run a 112 LSA since from my exp you get more useable under curve power. Considering the duration, lift, and lobes being all the same.

Quick Reply: Which cam for daily...VRX3 or G5X1?