Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads only questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
I agree that I would cam first, but if you can bolt on heads in a C5 like nothing, then it may be worth a shot. You should see some nice gains with tuning, but you'll definitely need a cam to really optimize it. I definitely wouldn't do everything to optimize a "heads only" setup, like extensive milling, bigger rockers, etc that will give you PTV issues when you do cam it.
One of the main reasons for this thought is considering the car. If it were an f-body, I'd cam only it in a heartbeat. However being a C5, a cam swap is much more of a PITA and heads are right there, quite the opposite of an f-body where heads are the pain. I won't be going extensive to optimize it, but surely don't want to skimp out greatly. I would still want solid results.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprayed_z
Pipe dreams.

This is about the most retarded thing I have heard for awhile. Put a cam in it idiot. You're just going to waste time and money and not gain **** for hp with "heads only"................

Some people shouldn't own cars.
Untill you have owned an Fbody and a Corvette you prob wont understand why he is doing heads only. In an Fbody everyone does cam only cause the cam swap is "easy" where as in a corvette you have to either pull the engine or drop the steering rack out to get the balancer off.

I say go for it man, clearly there is proof that it will give you gains, not as much as heads and cam would but you cant compair the 2.....

turbo!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm thinking of doing heads first on my 01' Z06. Just can't decide if I want to send off the stock 243s for porting/refreshing or get the PRC 5.3s and sell the 243s. I'll bet either, especially with higher ratio rockers will net solid gains and awesome driveability.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

mine made 405/395 with stock ls6 heads and ls6 cam and fast 78 intake.. stock cams work.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pipe dreams.

This is about the most retarded thing I have heard for awhile. Put a cam in it idiot. You're just going to waste time and money and not gain **** for hp with "heads only"................

i think its a great idea... if you do it, depending on your results, i may just do this on my next DD... i have wondered about it multiple times.. just had no idea if anyone had done it..
i think it is definitely sweet..
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Pipe dreams.

wtf?

I'm doing the exact same thing as the op for the very same reasons stated. Don't be so eager to bash someone so ignorantly for doing something out of the ordinary, especially if you've put a nice engine in a car I don't even know the name of.

FWIW, I'm going with 59cc Patriot 5.3s and plan on rockers for a "decent" gain
Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LTstewy8
wtf?

I'm doing the exact same thing as the op for the very same reasons stated. Don't be so eager to bash someone so ignorantly for doing something out of the ordinary, especially if you've put a nice engine in a car I don't even know the name of.
It's an rx7 genius.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1

From my research, its not that hard..and yes I do wrench on cars and ripped apart my z28.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sprayed z, so adding better heads to a stock cam'd LS1 isn't going to gain any real HP to speak of? Do you have any proof of that or is it just your opinion?

Reason I ask is because I've got a thread backed by several reputable members with a dyono graph showing over 400+rwhp and 400+rwtq. What do you have?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teke184
the push for the 5.3s on the board is because they perform and they don't cost alot. on top of that they have good flow without hogging the runners out (better low end) and they bump compression even on stock gaskets.

as for the deal with dynos starting at 3000rpm...i would still consider that "low end". >5000 would be upper rpm.

not many guys would start a race from 1500rpm. and casually driving around town at 1500-2500rpm you aren't too concerned with power since you're not likely going wot much.
but if i get in a street race, i'll downshift to get the rpms up into the mid range.

and if i'm throwing the car around some twisties...i'd aim for the mid range as well so i don't have to worry about shifting in the middle of the apex.

so showing power gains at 3000rpm is useful for me.
There we go with that "better low end" stuff and then you say everything is low end till 5,000 rpms. Can you should me similar combos, lets say your basic 228/228 cam, FAST 90, and 243 heads, VS same setup with 5.3 heads. I'm curious to see this bump in low end from the 5.3's. I've wondered about it in many threads and nobody seems to come up with any results unless they are a sponsor pushing the heads.

Originally Posted by lemons12
AFRs are going to dominate any ls6 head, not question about it.. they are an aftermarket casting..
Not so sure about that, i've seen 346's making 500rwhp with 243's.

Originally Posted by navymitch12
Untill you have owned an Fbody and a Corvette you prob wont understand why he is doing heads only. In an Fbody everyone does cam only cause the cam swap is "easy" where as in a corvette you have to either pull the engine or drop the steering rack out to get the balancer off.

I say go for it man, clearly there is proof that it will give you gains, not as much as heads and cam would but you cant compair the 2.....

turbo!
It took me 45 minutes to get the rack completely out of the way.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Not so sure about that, i've seen 346's making 500rwhp with 243's.
i have seen more AFR's doing it though... its "easier"...

im not downing 243s at all, especially ported.. i absolutely love mine.. and for the money, you cant beat em..
Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Teching In

It's an rx7 genius.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1

From my research, its not that hard..and yes I do wrench on cars and ripped apart my z28.
I knew you would tell me what the car was after I posted that and somehow find a way to add an insult in there as well. The point was never that I didn't know, but that I didn't care to know. I've looked through your posts and decided you are the LS1tech resident ***. I have no doubt you can wrench on cars, nothing was said to the contrary. I just doubt that you can post something useful or helpful on this board without putting yourself on a pedestal.
All I want are some results from a head only car and for you be constructive or
Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
It took me 45 minutes to get the rack completely out of the way.
How much room do you need to lift it to drop the rack?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

with outlook and attitude he has of this site he wont be around too long..
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Enough of replying to the douchebag, put him on "ignore list" and be done.

Machine the "AFR" off the heads and etch in some casting numbers, hehe. This could really go somewhere, it will be pricey, but have no compromises. I also bet it would really surprise, or own lots of half *** heads/cam cars.

Milled AFR205s ported
Ported 92/92 combo, sanded, painted
Tune (maybe injectors)

Take care of the details and I bet you see easily 400/400 and sound like stock with stock MPG and reliability.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Enough of replying to the douchebag, put him on "ignore list" and be done.

Machine the "AFR" off the heads and etch in some casting numbers, hehe. This could really go somewhere, it will be pricey, but have no compromises. I also bet it would really surprise, or own lots of half *** heads/cam cars.

Milled AFR205s ported
Ported 92/92 combo, sanded, painted
Tune (maybe injectors)

Take care of the details and I bet you see easily 400/400 and sound like stock with stock MPG and reliability.
id throw a baby cam in there while i was at it.. but i have an fbody..

i would love to make a mid 11 sleeper trapping 118ish..
Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

awaiting updates...
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I have posted on this several times and think it's a great way to go. Don't listen to guys who have the knee jerk response "just do the cam." You've got your reasons. Also, your list of cam swap vs. heads swap items/costs is important, especially on a C5. To me, the heads only deal makes sense if:
you put a ton of miles on the car as a daily driver and/or
if the shortblock has tons of miles on it.

My thinking is, to take this as far as it can go and retain 100k mile + reliability, heads, FAST intake, TB, lid, and exhaust are absolutely the way to go. Don't disturb the lower end if you don't have to. My dream combo would be the AFR 205s and the FAST 92/92. Don't listen to the guy who says a tune is worthless with the stock cam, he's misinformed. A GOOD tune regularly grabs 10-25 rwhp on stock/bolt on cars depending on how rich and off the stock tune is. That will only be more true with some good heads.

If you really wanted to go hog wild, Mamo-fy the heads, intake, sand and paint the intake black, use an 02+ LS6 cam/springs, get a good tune and you have the best of all worlds. 400/400 and stock manners/MPG/reliability. Stealthy killer. I put so many miles on my car, I don't want to change springs every year, which is why the stock/LS6 cam is something I have looked into.

I think you're on the right track with looking at a good ported, small runner head to maximize the stock short with no real downside. I'm curious how the new PRC 215s would do, as well as the AFR 205s. I'm surprised more people don't go this way. Some stage 1 or 2 GTP heads would be good for this too, as Craig's approach was always velocity throughout the range.

Keep us posted.
Jason

+1 on this, so when are you pulling the trigger on some heads ?? Did Jason at TSP give you a killer deal on those ported ls6 heads ??

I still say if you are going to go heads only, get the afr's and mill them to bump compression as high as you can go with a stock cam. NOt sure what it it but I think someone said the stock cam doesn't like too high of compression. Ask around. You are 10 to 1 now, so 10.5 or 10.7 to 1 should be safe and helpful.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Bump!!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good bump, I was wondering what happened with this ? Its been close to a year now.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Good bump, I was wondering what happened with this ? Its been close to a year now.
kind of funny, car is going to end up cam only, haha.

Feel free to keep discussing however!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed