Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question!!

I have a completly rebuilt forged motor that has been together for almost 3 years now and it has never been fired. I have been working on the car off and on trying to get it ready...There is no oil in the block but everyonce in awhile i will squirt oil into the cylinders and turn the motor over by hand...

Question: Is this good enough or now that I am ready to start it for the first time should I pull the heads back off and check everything?

Thanks
Shaun
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing I would do would be take the rocker covers off and squirt oil on the rockers and down the push rod holes to the cam and lifters. Before you fire it unplug the coils so it wont start and turn the engine over with the starter and watch the oil pressure build and listen for any bad sounds. Once you have oil pressure plug the coils back in and make some noise.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Great idea!!! I will do just that!!! Thanks a lot!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
The only thing I would do would be take the rocker covers off and squirt oil on the rockers and down the push rod holes to the cam and lifters. Before you fire it unplug the coils so it wont start and turn the engine over with the starter and watch the oil pressure build and listen for any bad sounds. Once you have oil pressure plug the coils back in and make some noise.
I normally just press the gas pedal to the floor will cranking the engine. I have done it that way many a times.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zx9rgreen
I normally just press the gas pedal to the floor will cranking the engine. I have done it that way many a times.
is it just me???......i agree with conan above.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
is it just me???......i agree with conan above.
Hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it to get any gas out of the cylinders.

The computer goes into a "clear flood" mode when flooring the gas and cranking, it doesn't pulse the injectors.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Launching!

A lot of people, me included have had trouble "priming" the oil system prior to the first start up. Some people have overfilled the engine with oil to submerge the oil pump. I did the old jack the back of the car up which sent all the oil to the front of the engine to submerge the oil pump. I got that one from someone else here, so give that person the credit not me. Point being that if you start cranking with the car level and you get no pressure try to jack the back up as high as you can and you should build some good pressure. Just a suggestion.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zx9rgreen
Hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it to get any gas out of the cylinders.

The computer goes into a "clear flood" mode when flooring the gas and cranking, it doesn't pulse the injectors.
I would feel better pulling the injector fuse. But to each his own
Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine is on a stand i would just pull the heads and soak the lifters in oil. That way you know that they will prime up. I would also pull the pan and front cover to get the oil pump off and soak it too. Thats just me, because i hate working on an engine when its in the car.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

It's been my experience that the starter doesn't spin the engine fast enough to get the oil pressure up. Just make sure you pre-oil the lifters and overfill by a quart and you should be good to go!

Jimbo
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I would feel better pulling the injector fuse. But to each his own
Just disconeect the coil packs and prime the motor untill the oil pressure guage moves to it's HIGHEST point!