Sponsored by:

LS1 Patriot Performance Heads + Cam Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
anyone know which is best?
I dont think there is any one answer to that question really....
Old 02-08-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
I dont think there is any one answer to that question really....
of course the aftermarket heads would be better, but im talking about, if i decide to stay with the stock 853's whats the best cam for power out there?
Old 02-08-2009, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Wink

yeah im gonna need to get one of those, do i have to mess wit the fuel system at all before i put the cam in? also wuts the best cam i should use if i decide to just use my stock 853 heads??
I haven't touched fuel system at all. Stock fuel pump, stock injectors. No problems with "going lean", or anything like that at WOT on dyno.

"Best cam" is a loaded question. Everyone swears theirs is best, but "theirs" is not always best for you.

I can only comment on what I have, which is a 226/226. It works very well with my stock 241 heads and is very driveable and docile as a daily driver capable, but well performing cam. Keep in mind, my car is pretty much dialed in since at this point no matter what I do, it still runs the same number everytime. For it to run any better, I'd need to shed some weight, add some power, or a combination of the two...But then I'd be in rollbar territory, which is not where I want my cruiser to be.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I haven't touched fuel system at all. Stock fuel pump, stock injectors. No problems with "going lean", or anything like that at WOT on dyno.

"Best cam" is a loaded question. Everyone swears theirs is best, but "theirs" is not always best for you.

I can only comment on what I have, which is a 226/226. It works very well with my stock 241 heads and is very driveable and docile as a daily driver capable, but well performing cam. Keep in mind, my car is pretty much dialed in since at this point no matter what I do, it still runs the same number everytime. For it to run any better, I'd need to shed some weight, add some power, or a combination of the two...But then I'd be in rollbar territory, which is not where I want my cruiser to be.

found this package i think it seems a little better, its from texas speed, what do you guys think ??
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=680&catid=47
Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone have dyno numbers with just a cam and stock 853 heads on there car, i just want to see where abouts the hp would be
Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

couple of things:

1. replacing springs is MANDATORY, replace your springs now or replace your motor later when it destroys itself. I run PRC duals.
2. the "best" heads and cam package is neither of what you have chosen. Do some searching especially through the Dyno forum and see what people are coming up with. There are many packages that are better than those two, however they cost a lot more. Those packages are designed for more of a budget performance car, and as long as you are aware of that they are great packages and will likely produce similar gains.

it all depends on your budget, if you have a bigger wallet call up Tony Mamo at AFR and have him put a good package together with some AFR 205's that meets your goals. People have been able to pull 500RWHP out of a stock bottom end with a well thought out AFR combo. Similarly Vengeance, ETP, Texas Speed etc have all produced good numbers out of their heads, but not the $1000 ones so much

Remember, heads are where the power is, spend your money there and you will be happy
Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Question

magius231:

What does your car run ET/MPH-wise?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by magius231
couple of things:

1. replacing springs is MANDATORY, replace your springs now or replace your motor later when it destroys itself. I run PRC duals.
2. the "best" heads and cam package is neither of what you have chosen. Do some searching especially through the Dyno forum and see what people are coming up with. There are many packages that are better than those two, however they cost a lot more. Those packages are designed for more of a budget performance car, and as long as you are aware of that they are great packages and will likely produce similar gains.

it all depends on your budget, if you have a bigger wallet call up Tony Mamo at AFR and have him put a good package together with some AFR 205's that meets your goals. People have been able to pull 500RWHP out of a stock bottom end with a well thought out AFR combo. Similarly Vengeance, ETP, Texas Speed etc have all produced good numbers out of their heads, but not the $1000 ones so much

Remember, heads are where the power is, spend your money there and you will be happy

yeah i hear ya, but im working on a budget build, i just want a decent pair of heads, and a nice cam that has a choppy idle, and makes decent power, like close to 400rwhp, and i will be happy, im only using the car for work everyday, no track time really, just want to see whats best, im leaning towards the tsp package rite now, i think its a better deal
Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
magius231:

What does your car run ET/MPH-wise?
no idea, haven't been out to the track yet...really want to get this thing out there though.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

found this package i think it seems a little better, its from texas speed, what do you guys think ??
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=680&catid=47
I was gonna say personally I'd go with PRC heads before Patriot myself.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I was gonna say personally I'd go with PRC heads before Patriot myself.
yeah are they actually better then the patriot head? what do these heads flow at?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of people will say dont go with the patriots, prc are better, go get trickflows, etc...

I bought their budget heads 2 years ago, they had a sale for $950 I think Milled to 60 cc. I Added a TSP torquer 2 cam to that, and through an LS6 intake, 12 bolt w 4.10's, steel drive shaft, billet steel flywheel, etc... It made 418 RWHP, 380 RWTQ, first pass down the track netted me an 11.36 @ 120.5 mph, on slicks.. Clutch slipped, and failed 2 passes later.... This season, I added a ported fast 92/92, a 100 mm lid, and going speed density tune. I hopefully expect to pick up another 20+ rwhp, and I did alot of weight reduction, hoping to hit a 10.9X Na, 346, budget setup.

So, I think it's more of getting your setup dialed in, getting your car to hook, and being an ok driver. There is no reason a 400 rwhp car should be in the 12's, and Patriots are a great head for the $$$ IMHO.

BTW: OP, I see you went to brian@kaltech, thats where I dynoed... Are you local? fastlsxer?

Last edited by BADD SS; 02-10-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
alot of people will say dont go with the patriots, prc are better, go get trickflows, etc...

I bought their budget heads 2 years ago, they had a sale for $950 I think Milled to 60 cc. I Added a TSP torquer 2 cam to that, and through an LS6 intake, 12 bolt w 4.10's, steel drive shaft, billet steel flywheel, etc... It made 418 RWHP, 380 RWTQ, first pass down the track netted me an 11.36 @ 120.5 mph, on slicks.. Clutch slipped, and failed 2 passes later.... This season, I added a ported fast 92/92, a 100 mm lid, and going speed density tune. I hopefully expect to pick up another 20+ rwhp, and I did alot of weight reduction, hoping to hit a 10.9X Na, 346, budget setup.

So, I think it's more of getting your setup dialed in, getting your car to hook, and being an ok driver. There is no reason a 400 rwhp car should be in the 12's, and Patriots are a great head for the $$$ IMHO.

BTW: OP, I see you went to brian@kaltech, thats where I dynoed... Are you local? fastlsxer?

wow those are excellent times bro, i would just be happy to crack high 11's, the only thing that this package is missing is the pushrods, and the upgraded ls1 oil pump, and timing chain, it seems like the texas speed has that for almost the same price, but i might not be able to have enough money for either package, so if i decide to just do a cam, and use my stock 853 junk heads, which cam do you think is best?

yea i def know brian @ kaltech, those guys are great, i had them tune my car when i had just got longtubes, im on fast lsx also, im in oakdale
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow those are excellent times bro, i would just be happy to crack high 11's, the only thing that this package is missing is the pushrods, and the upgraded ls1 oil pump, and timing chain, it seems like the texas speed has that for almost the same price, but i might not be able to have enough money for either package, so if i decide to just do a cam, and use my stock 853 junk heads, which cam do you think is best?

yea i def know brian @ kaltech, those guys are great, i had them tune my car when i had just got longtubes, im on fast lsx also, im in oakdale
cam selections are hard imho, there are alot that are so good, and similar that unless you are doing a donkey dick cam to say a 230's cam, its all in what you prefer, sound, lift etc. Im no Cam guru, but I have had a couple I really liked. I meant to tell you, give brian a call, he could probably set you up with a nice package using your old 853's if you want, give him a call and ask him.. Cant hurt...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
cam selections are hard imho, there are alot that are so good, and similar that unless you are doing a donkey dick cam to say a 230's cam, its all in what you prefer, sound, lift etc. Im no Cam guru, but I have had a couple I really liked. I meant to tell you, give brian a call, he could probably set you up with a nice package using your old 853's if you want, give him a call and ask him.. Cant hurt...
i def will call him soon, i just dont want to over cam my stock heads, i want something that will make good use out of the stock heads
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

i def will call him soon, i just dont want to over cam my stock heads, i want something that will make good use out of the stock heads
You can't over cam an LS1. Trex, G5X4, etc are about as big as will fit in there and work well with stock heads.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can't over cam an LS1. Trex, G5X4, etc are about as big as will fit in there and work well with stock heads.
cool, even with stock 853's? if i change the springs and pushrods and stuff? if thats the case then i will go bigger than a 228 duration, prob 230's area
Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

cool, even with stock 853's? if i change the springs and pushrods and stuff? if thats the case then i will go bigger than a 228 duration, prob 230's area
Yes even with 853s. Since ETs are your goal a 230ish cam sounds good.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes even with 853s. Since ETs are your goal a 230ish cam sounds good.
ok cool, sounds good bro thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems a little expensive. Got my complete pkg from texas speed for 2 grand but that included the LS6 oil pump, all bolts and all new gaskets. Im partial to TSP persoally.

Quick Reply: LS1 Patriot Performance Heads + Cam Package