Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about a MTI X1 set up..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about a MTI X1 set up..

Im finally getting around to putting my cam in I only bought it about a year ago, anyway Ive been looking at peoples comments and set ups I can find the exact answers Im looking for. I have the oil pump the chain the push rods. I already put the ls6 intake on. Currently I have pacesetter long tubes with a magnaflow catback and cut out, but I MAY switch to a GMMG. Id like to here it after the cam is in then put the GMMG on, reason being I dont want it extremely loud but I do want it to sound GOOD,and getting ready to put a set of 4.10s in.
What size injectors are a good combination to run with this cam, does the fuel pressure regulator need to be changed. If I got a set of 5.3 heads off a pick up, what would I need to do to them to make it worth it or is it not worth it just leave it cam only. If I was to get heads that would be the only way as of right now anyway. Basically Im looking to find my best combination. The car is only driven in the summer I wouldnt call it a DD but I try to take advantage of every nice day I can. Not going to be at any race tracks. It is a 6 speed. Im in NE Pennsylvania and realize im going to have to go down the line to get a good tune, all I know of is harris speed works and rapid motorsports, any others that are reputable in PA ?

Basically just trying to get pointed in the right direction for all the areas, my goal is to have it streetable, I dont need crazy power up top cause really there isnt anywhere to go that fast and I dont plan on going to a track, I would like to be as close as it can to 400 hp though

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have all the supporting bolt-ons to help out the cam? If so, your 400hp mark shouldnt be a problem

My brother has the X1 cam in his '01 Z06. Of course he has stock 243 heads which you dont. But with the cam,full exhaust,intake,and predator tune he made 422rwhp/395rwtq.

As for exhaust, it sounds bad *** with straight exhaust but too loud for cops He then muffled it down and still has a nice lope to it. Here are some clips:

This is with straight exhaust, no mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVwrvzNVPk

With dual magnaflow bullets (still kinda loud!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZK5hiJ58H4
Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Don't bother getting 5.3 heads off a pickup. In stock form they'll flow way worse than your current heads. Look for the cnc'd ones with bigger valves from prc. Or if you can't afford them look for some stock 243 heads for around $500.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

^^^
Old 02-06-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see you are in PA.
Give Mikey @ Rapid a call and he will get you lined out.
I have also heard good things about HSW,but have never done business with them.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Get some TEA 1.5s. you cant get them off the boards for a steal. These heads are way overlooked. my set up is 4-5 years old and still rollin out hard. BTW I run an X1.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sent you a PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Do you have all the supporting bolt-ons to help out the cam? If so, your 400hp mark shouldnt be a problem

My brother has the X1 cam in his '01 Z06. Of course he has stock 243 heads which you dont. But with the cam,full exhaust,intake,and predator tune he made 422rwhp/395rwtq.

As for exhaust, it sounds bad *** with straight exhaust but too loud for cops He then muffled it down and still has a nice lope to it. Here are some clips:

This is with straight exhaust, no mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVwrvzNVPk

With dual magnaflow bullets (still kinda loud!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZK5hiJ58H4

The second clip is still with straight exhaust also at idle. But yeah The MTI X1 was a good cam and good for DD. You will like it. Hell if I had better heads, and a fast intake that number would be around 460-480 Easy!

Hey *** when you going to throw that 406 in the camaro? AFR heads, cammed, demon carb, that thing will wake up!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MAXXLIMIT
The second clip is still with straight exhaust also at idle. But yeah The MTI X1 was a good cam and good for DD. You will like it. Hell if I had better heads, and a fast intake that number would be around 460-480 Easy!
I dont know, thats pushin it

Hey *** when you going to throw that 406 in the camaro? AFR heads, cammed, demon carb, that thing will wake up!
Need a job first