Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flow results on my home ported heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm Mike Hutto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
WOW such bold words for some one who could not even show you how a bench flow works. Lets put it this way. I Port heads professionaly, and i have a bunch of people all over the U.S. asking me to do more for them. I fully understand and get it. Dont tell people that you have to understand the physics about it, i fully understand, i more than likely understand physics better than you ever will. (I used to teach it). this thread was about the heads not how you want to look intelegent because you can read something and sound like you know something about it, but when it came down to doing it, id dont think that you would have the slightest idea. O and where in here did you say what was wrong with this gentlemens heads? I never found it.
Its not even her being intelligent. Its likely someone posting using a "Jes" as the name for her that graduated from SAM or its the girl Jessica of a guy I know's girlfriend and she's posting what he tells her to post like a puppet. He's butt hurt that he's yet to compete with the guy he works with on cylinder heads when he used to work for TEA. It took him 1 year or a little more to design the Trick Flow castings. Sad thing is it took a few minutes to for the other guy to improve on them He lost at first on his first trick, but the second trick picked up what he lost and 18 more.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rapin'Ya
Its not even her being intelligent. Its likely someone posting using a "Jes" as the name for her that graduated from SAM or its the girl Jessica of a guy I know's girlfriend and she's posting what he tells her to post like a puppet. He's butt hurt that he's yet to compete with the guy he works with on cylinder heads when he used to work for TEA. It took him 1 year or a little more to design the Trick Flow castings. Sad thing is it took a few minutes to for the other guy to improve on them He lost at first on his first trick, but the second trick picked up what he lost and 18 more.
so is it Bret Bauer by chance?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this thread is totally lost.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Teching In

This thread should be closed and deleted!
It started out well, someone talking about what they did themselves and probably looking for some props and positive feedback. But then the jerks show up trying to be a smart know it all ****** and act like they are gods and everyone else sucks.

To the orig poster good job on what you accomplished, those were decent results especially if you don't own a bench because airflow is more art than science in many ways.

Wow look at that, someone just throwing out a compliment without ripping on the guy.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks to everyone,i will just keep my findings and results to myself.thanks for the help to the one or two people that provided it,and to the rest thanks for wasting peoples time.please delete this thread
Old 03-15-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

I found your posts interesting. Keep posting up bro, don't let them stop ya.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail2426
thanks to everyone,i will just keep my findings and results to myself.thanks for the help to the one or two people that provided it,and to the rest thanks for wasting peoples time.please delete this thread
redtail,

If you started the thread, can't you delete it yourself? What happens if you delete your first post? You could also report it to the admins/mods directly via the little red triangle at the lower left area of any post. I suspect the mods get a notification if a post is "reported". They probably don't read every post.

I've never tried deleting a thread here, but I believe it works on other forums. This one may be more tightly controlled.

Threads often take a direction unintended by the originator. That reflects the definition of the word "thread". Thread starters often want affirmation rather than critiques of their work/ideas/beliefs. You got both, but I suspect the critiques of increased low-mid lift flow was not what you wanted to hear.

Some of the comments, even the sarcastic ones, provided useful information which is known/used by some of the best engine builders/head porters, but differs from the "generally accepted internet dictum" of what makes a good port. IMO, it's what makes a good engine, not a fat port flowbench curve, that is Job One for a head person. Some appreciate this, some don't.

FWIW, my sarcastic comment on zero-lift flow was based upon actual flowbench data from a CNC ported head. You might guess that the valve job was less than exemplary. You would be correct. You can speculate on the performance of the engine attached to these heads.

Sorting out the "straight skinny" from the bovine scat is always the big problem on a technical subject such as head flow. Things in Ma Naturer's world are what they are. Our explanations of how things work have no effect on how they actually work, and that is an ego-crusher for most of us.

Good luck with your porting.

End of rant.

Jon
Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would keep this open and continue working on your project. I for one learned by what others did and did not do when learning to port heads. It helps talking to people who have ported and are porting. Don't listen to the rest of the want-to-be.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

LOL, more chest beating. I came across this thread today and had a good laugh. I love when everyone in general meets a few gurus and claims to know it all. I dont claim to know a metric ton such as some, but know enough to see through the masked and regurgitated info someone else has passed on. Do something in the real world and report back. That applies to any of you warriors that live on a keyboard. I know there are several of you that do not.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redtail2426
okay i discovered what happened with the exhaust when i was able to get a look at it.The guy that flowed it said it was probably something i did with the valve job or the short turn radius.Since all i did to the short turn was sand it i knew that wasnt the problem.I made the mistake of opening up the valve seat just ahead of the valve job.I did this to try and blend it in with the bowl.Since these 853 heads have such a huge difference between the seat and bowl,it becomes a bit of a problem.The only way to fix this is to intall a new seat,which i dont plan on doing.This particular head will be used as a learning tool.I will get up some pics of the exhaust port later when my better half gets home with the camera.But i have a couple pics i took before of the intake port.If i could add material in the exhaust port in one particular area then these could flow really nicely at those low and mid lift numbers.
Redtail, good work man. If you went to a nice 28* backcut valve and adjusted your seat accordingly you would pickup atleast 10cfm in the middle and 15cfm+ up top. Blending the swirl ramp into the side of the valve guide would gain 5-10 more.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey thanks.I am going to try and do my best with the stock valves.I know there is a big gain to be seen with the valve and valve job,but the fact of the matter is its just not worth it on a stock head.Lets say someone pays 400 bucks for porting,which is cheap,then need the better valves and valve job,thats probably another 300-350,milled to get the desired compression is probably another 75-100,and then 250-275 for a nice dual spring setup.If they did all that they would be at 1050-1150 bucks.By that time you mine as well buy a set of cnc ported heads that come with everything i mentioned.It just doesnt seem worth it to me to do anything but port them out with the stock parts and slap some springs on em.Thanks for the tips and i will let you know when i do another couple ports,i need to finish a set of lt1 heads before i play with it again.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

From the way you talk, it sounds like you would want to port heads as a side job..........Your time isnt worth it compared to all the CNC companies giving the **** away. Even with a stock valve you can do better with the right backcut and valve job. There is no reason why you cant get to 285/210 (honest numbers) with the factory valves. Oddly enough, the best power I have made, porting wise, has been through 241's/853. They are very straight forward and require little to no short turn work. Mainly widening the short turn into the curved wall, which helps alot if you do it right. Dont be scared to add alittle more volume above the rocker boss and into the bowl past the short turn. It will show air flow. Also go ahead and pull your straight wall out .080 or so next to the valve guide after you knock down the swirl ramp. Again I dont know it all, but have done enough of that casting to know the straight forward method of getting 290 cfm.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

I would say it's worth it if you have serious plans with those set of heads later on down the road. But if you're going to upgrade to aftermarket castings, or just buy cnc'd ones from a sponsor than I agree with you. If I had to do it over again I would have just purchased my L92 head's already ported/polished/new valvetrain/valves. I'm actually ending up spending more than if I were to buy them already done outright.

$800 Heads
$200 LS3 Valves
$75 Valve grind/lap
$60 Decking
$275 Patriot Extreme kit

It adds up
Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey redtail, you using the bench at BTR? I'm doing a set of 243s right now. Still has the stock VJ, and woundering what the move right now. I'm going to have some VJ work done on them. Did you see the set of stock valvejob 241s I did last year? I know you can make some great power with a stock VJ and some good hand porting. We should meet up and check out each other work. I'd like do see the gains we get with the current heads were doing.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by studderin
hey redtail, you using the bench at BTR? I'm doing a set of 243s right now. Still has the stock VJ, and woundering what the move right now. I'm going to have some VJ work done on them. Did you see the set of stock valvejob 241s I did last year? I know you can make some great power with a stock VJ and some good hand porting. We should meet up and check out each other work. I'd like do see the gains we get with the current heads were doing.
I went out to Carl Mcquillens in leroy.I dont plan on running the 853's or testing them on anyone car.I just want to learn the tricks of porting.Those 241's you did looked good,and made great power.The 243's are where its at though,you can get them to really move some air with much less work.The heads on my car still have the stock valves and vj and were hand ported by Bo White a few years back.He was able to get 300cfm out of em at 600,and they carry pretty well past that.Where is BTR,i tried looking it up and couldnt find anything on it.We will have my buddies lt1 on the dyno at new era in May,i am doing his heads right now,and got some pretty good flow out of em.there is a thread in the lt1 section,you should check it out.I dont plan on doing this as a side job,because like you said its just not worth it.But i wouldnt mind doing a set for some of my buddies in the winter when i cant work on my car.It gives me something to do.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya, once I got in there and working around I noticed how much better the 243 looks, like alot of guys I've heard say about them. I put some pics on hem in hardcoreLS1. I'm sending them out for a good VJ when I finsh them up. how much dose CM charge to use his bench? I'm not a fan of that guy with the local stuff I've seen.
BTR is on mt.read
http://www.btrperformance.com/index.html
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I dont think I would delete this thread.......
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will leave the thread,seems the bickering is gone.Anyway Carl charges 75 per cylinder,or 100 for 2 cylinders.I caleed BTR and they are 60 per cylinder,and are a lot closer to me.I will give them a try when im ready.It might be awhile.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

subcribing...
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

....to a thread that's been dead for over a year?

Quick Reply: Flow results on my home ported heads