Sponsored by:

WTF! ARP head bolt snapped!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
you forgot the part about pulling the motor out.. lol
i do not see him mentioning that the motor was in the car in his first post. the motor does not necessarily need to be in the car to have the heads installed.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elias_799
i do not see him mentioning that the motor was in the car in his first post. the motor does not necessarily need to be in the car to have the heads installed.
i didnt see him mentioning it was out of the car either LOL.... touche!!!

I wish my motor was out of the car when i put heads on it, would have been a hell of a lot easier!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ i am sry but maybe i have not been on the internet enough but was does touche mean ?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

Call ARP and tell them what happened. The exact same bolt snapped on me and they sent me on for free. Also I used one of those kits that drills a hole in the bolt and then backs it out.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elias_799
^^^ i am sry but maybe i have not been on the internet enough but was does touche mean ?
The word touché is often used in "popular culture" and general conversation—for example, in an argument or debate. If one person presents an argument and another delivers a clever or apt response, the first person may respond with "touché" as a way of acknowledging a good response. A synonym of this word would be "Good point".
Old 03-09-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

i kind of favor the moly stuff, lower torq than oil, but have used oil before-hopefully you can get the piece out w/o any problem, might have been a bugger in the threads-(i actually used a tourch and burned one out of a block once w/o any damage) do you coat the under sides of the bolts/nuts with lube? sometimes this step is missed, creates a false torq
i have reused gaskets if the engine hasent run with no problem, except on a boosted engine, i bite the bullet and replace it-good luck
Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel your pain. I just had a long ARP bolt break in my forged shortblock. Seems like it's going to cost me an arm and a leg but the shop if confident they can get it out.. just a matter of "How long it'll take.." or as i see it "How deep are my pockets". GL with the car.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Another possibility that could have caused the head of the bolt to snap off could have been the washer was upside down. I've had it happen before with the same bolt. The washers have a groove on one side and the bolts have a male type portion that goes in the groove of the washer.... Its a possibillity that could of been the cause...

Quick Reply: WTF! ARP head bolt snapped!!!!