Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR heads available soon!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: AFR heads available soon!

Point being missed even though it was brought up. Smaller chambers with equal flow will result in more velocity which usually results better power through the curve. Also, for FI guys with lotsa boost, the thicker deck height is a bonus. Lastly, this is the beginning Im sure...AFR is counting on every porter customising the heads to fit associated cams (for those who have the know how).
Old 10-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point being missed even though it was brought up. Smaller chambers with equal flow will result in more velocity which usually results better power through the curve. Also, for FI guys with lotsa boost, the thicker deck height is a bonus. Lastly, this is the beginning Im sure...AFR is counting on every porter customising the heads to fit associated cams (for those who have the know how).
It wasn't missed, no real information has been provided. Flow numbers? How much lift can they survive? Recommended cam specs?

And what we have here is a PREMIUM being charged for a set of heads that have "AFR" on the side of them and noone can show anything about them.

What kind of knucklehead would you have to be to be the guy who signed up to buying them RIGHT NOW?

My WHOLE point here is that AFR needs to put up the information and do it LIKE NOW. At $1800, these things better blow the other $1800 packages out there clean out of the water.

At $2500, I highly doubt there is enough benefit to justify them.

So, I'd honestly like to be proven wrong. I'd love for AFR to put up the information and raise the bar.

Because right now it is looking like a ton of hype and no return. Typical LS1 raping... "It's an LS1, so we can charge a $300 premium."

I'll be the first to admit it if the $1800 set blows away the other $1800 heads out there... but I'm a little skeptical right now.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They aren't even out yet. Pass judgment then. They are looking real good to me.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea i will be anxious to see what kind of numbers they put down. Also I hope they have something that will fit with my big cam. .231/.237
Old 10-19-2003, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Can you read?

I'd like something more than "they're really cool, have small runners, unported they cost as much as a Stage 2 ported head, and we'll state they provide 75hp more than some other head... but no guarantees... so send us your cash."

I am asking them to give the information required, so we CAN pass judgement, and maybe buy them.

Somebody explain why these are as expensive as a Stage 2 ported head when they are unported. Do they out-power those heads? Can they survive the current spate of really big cams? Spell out the benefits with cold, hard numbers!
Old 10-19-2003, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Can you read?

I am asking them to give the information required, so we CAN pass judgement, and maybe buy them.

Somebody explain why these are as expensive as a Stage 2 ported head when they are unported. Do they out-power those heads? Can they survive the current spate of really big cams? Spell out the benefits with cold, hard numbers!
I can read, bro, that was kinda uncool. I won't pass judgment on what they say when they do come out. I will after guys who buy them post results. If they flow, unported, as much as a factory ported head for about the same price, them it seems like we have something new to make more power with. That costs money. Either you are willing to pay up and go faster, or not. I am. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Launching!

I can read, bro, that was kinda uncool.
Agreed. My apologies.

If they flow, unported, as much as a factory ported head for about the same price, them it seems like we have something new to make more power with.
Then we agree. Chalk it up to a difference in sematics.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

I dont see why everyone is so concerned with getting the cheapest heads possible. Heads are were your power is made, ask any engine builder its the last place you wanna go cheap in. I believe these AFR heads will be far superior to any other head out there. Jesus AFR had almost 6 years to potentially work on them. Why should they post a flowsheet with all the flowsheet bashing that goes around? All I know is when these new heads come out im gonna buy them.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it is all just hype. I don't mind buying a product that hasn't been tested in the real world, such as the LS-X intake I bought, but AFR hasn't ever shown me anything speacial in FI vehicles. They waited to put the LT-1 heads out to, and they sucked hard. If there heads are 205 cc's and 225 cc's unported, then this will be lame. They can throw the smaller runner, more flow theory out the window. Even if that is the CNC ported runner size, it is only a few cc's smaller than a ported LS-1 head, and right in line with LS-6 heads. They'll have to show me something very speacial before I gained respect for something that sounds like it won't be much diffrent than what we have now for more money.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:05 PM
ms4
Teching In

Can you read?

I'd like something more than "they're really cool, have small runners, unported they cost as much as a Stage 2 ported head, and we'll state they provide 75hp more than some other head... but no guarantees... so send us your cash."

I've found quite a bit of info for these AFR heads on the various LS* forums. Personally I think anyone that buys into a product before it is released is an idiot.

With that said, the flow numbers look fantastic, the port velocity should be through the roof compared to ALL the other heads on the market today. Check up on the intake port volumes of any of the heads out there that can hang with the numbers of the AFR heads and I bet you'll find they aren't within 20cc of the AFRs. Heck, alot of them are about 40cc larger!

The reason they are more expensive than whats on the market today is because they are completely new castings. These aren't reworked LS6 heads. I think the as cast versions would probably be a good head for someone that wants to do their own port work, or have them sent out to a shop that has specific CNC programs with matching cams for them. Personally I'd go with the cnc'd 205 heads.

I've had great results with AFR heads in the past, and see no reason why these new heads won't be awesome as well. Of course no one will really know until we see some non-biased flow charts and dyno results. As psyched as I am, I feel like this is the same sort of crap that I've seen with this "LSX" intake. Its interesting to note however, thats its the resellers that are pushing the "get in line now" crap, not AFR themselves. The only posts I've read by AFR are DATA only!

Old 10-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Look if you all are concerned about price maybe you should not be racing.It cost to go fast!!!
Old 10-19-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Its interesting to note however, thats its the resellers that are pushing the "get in line now" crap, not AFR themselves. The only posts I've read by AFR are DATA only!
That might be because AFR is a manufacterer only, not a dealer, atleast thats what it looks like. They leave it to their dealers to "pimp" their products and only deliver data. Same thing every manufacterer in every field does.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

I plan to do a serious package next year on either my SS or my WS6(see sig). I was gonna use LS6 heads but I will definetly have to wait and check these AFRs out. Heres my question:
what will be better...LS6 heads completely done-up, all the goodies(no expense saved). I am talking for a quality company(ARE, MTI, GTP, LG, LPE, Rapid Motorsports, Patriot, Absolute, listed in no particular order...all the good shops; OR these AFRs? Either getting the CnC AFRs or having a quality LS1 shop port and polish them?
Old 10-19-2003, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

I hope these heads are as good as they are advertised. I would have no problems picking up a set if they would deliver a nice gain in power. I also think that some of these porting companys will be buying these afr castings and porting them . Anytime there is a new product that can improve hp its great for everyone. It just raises the levels of performace out there. I think with the new head designs and manifolds coming out 500+ hp 346`s should be on our streets within the next year. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Old 10-19-2003, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"HELLO AFR? Anybody listening? A head that flows +300 cfm at .600 lift is available right now for $1800 with no core charge."

may i ask which head is this. i'm not saing that i dont belive but i am just intereasted in who offers these heads.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

may i ask which head is this. i'm not saing that i dont belive but i am just intereasted in who offers these heads.

Patriot's LS-6 style heads.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Check up on the intake port volumes of any of the heads out there that can hang with the numbers of the AFR heads and I bet you'll find they aren't within 20cc of the AFRs. Heck, alot of them are about 40cc larger!

Like I said earlier, most of the LS-1/5.3 heads are right at 300 cfm with a 213cc intake runner size. If the AFR's are 205 before porting, then they will be way over 213cc's by the time the CNC process is finished. If 205 is the CNC runner volume, then it is only 8 cc's smaller than your average head. Looks like a little more info needs to be provided to clear the air.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:58 AM
FormerVendor

Damn everyone is hung up on CFM numbers. The cam will only see .600 lift once its all the numbers in between that count the most ie (.200,.300,.500, etc). The point and the only point to buying these heads is BECAUSE OF THE PORT VOLUME. THESE HEADS ARE DOING CLOSE TO WHAT OTHER COMPANIES ON THE BOARD ADVERTISE THEIR HEADS TO FLOW, AND IT DOES IT WILL LESS PORT VOLUME. There should be a noticable increase in low end torque for all you guys with big cams
Old 10-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Launching!

Damn everyone is hung up on CFM numbers. The cam will only see .600 lift once its all the numbers in between that count the most ie (.200,.300,.500, etc). The point and the only point to buying these heads is BECAUSE OF THE PORT VOLUME. THESE HEADS ARE DOING CLOSE TO WHAT OTHER COMPANIES ON THE BOARD ADVERTISE THEIR HEADS TO FLOW, AND IT DOES IT WILL LESS PORT VOLUME. There should be a noticable increase in low end torque for all you guys with big cams
Please define "noticeable".

$600 worth of "noticeable"?

DATA. I want data.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post778268

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post756484

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post680488

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post652704

Here is some preliminary data.