Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost job and blew engine on same day need help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd just leave everything and get a good long/short block 5.3 or 6.0 for as cheap as possible and just swap it straight over. do the ls6 cam while you're at it. times are tough, save as much cash as you can.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should really think about what you want to do in the long run. You already have your budget outlined. Obviously your block is salvagable. I'd shop around in the for sale section to find what you are looking for. I bought a k1 forged 4 inch stroke crank and rods for $513 shipped from California to Florida. Personally I would go with a forged 347 and use what you have. If you can't find a set of rods speed inc carries some nice budget scat rods in varying part numbers and applications.

Use a compression ratio calculator to help you shop around for parts.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the important changes would be forged pistons with a dish to lower the compression and quality rod bolts. You can get a set of good LS2 connecting rods for about $70 and add ARP rod bolts which will give you a package good for HP in the 550 range.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

but he did lose his job. so... maybe he should set that motor aside and build it up slowly (like when funds allow.) and swap in a 6.0 or a 5.3 just to get it back on the road again. the job market is kinda tough right now, at least where i live. it'll be a 500 dollar motor swap that you can just sell off when your done with your current build, possibly even for a profit.

honestly, motor builds can spiral out of budget VERY quickly and in our minds its very justifiable.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kmracer
but he did lose his job. so... maybe he should set that motor aside and build it up slowly (like when funds allow.) and swap in a 6.0 or a 5.3 just to get it back on the road again. the job market is kinda tough right now, at least where i live. it'll be a 500 dollar motor swap that you can just sell off when your done with your current build, possibly even for a profit.

honestly, motor builds can spiral out of budget VERY quickly and in our minds its very justifiable.
...ergo the LS9 lower end and the LS6 upper parts that everyone is trying to give away on eBay. I put my 6.0 together with a little over a grand. The only thing better in that range is L92/LS3 heads and intake. Stock lowers will take the 550hp with rod bolts. Iron block cylinders will take the turbo -no sleeves to creep. Might need to rering the pistons for reduced blowby with the turbo and run a thicker head gasket to lower the compression a bit. But seriously check out that link in my last post. I didn't FI my 6.0 and ran it with a Diablosport tune. But it was a stout bastard and I easily kept up with the LS6 Vettes.
I made more than $1000 back just selling the LS6 heads and intake. Made another $150 on the LS6 cam. Still have the short block and I'd run it again without reservation. I just trashed my 10 bolt rear end and had to reallocate funds from my LS3 427 cid build to repair or replace it. Just replace the LS1 with a cheap stout 6.0 or cheap rebuild the 346 and then buy a piece at a time as you can and build what you really want. The 6.0 will just keep you in the game.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

you can get a nice low mile lq9 for around 1200.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I think the important changes would be forged pistons with a dish to lower the compression and quality rod bolts. You can get a set of good LS2 connecting rods for about $70 and add ARP rod bolts which will give you a package good for HP in the 550 range.
Why would you spend $150 for a stock rod with an ARP rod bolt when you could spend $300 and have a forged steel rod with the same ARP bolt? Speed Inc carries SCAT forged H and I beam rods at a really good price.

Originally Posted by kmracer

Building an engine can spiral out of control. I've done it myself a few times before. The point is doing things once and doing it the right way. Why waste time, money, and effort doing things twice when you could do them for slightly more now.

I had the parts for a forged 347 that I had bought off of here, LS1 shortblock with a weak cylinder, diamond -2cc pistons with rings, and a set of SCAT H beams that cost me a total of $650 including shipping. I could have put that engine together for right around $1000, but I traded some of those parts for my 93.

You really need to think about what you want to do in the long run. Do you just want something like you had or do you want to make more power? Plan out your modifications as now is the time to do it while everything is apart. A forged 347 will let you turn the boost up if you'd like to and dollar for dollar make the most power.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

got engine out trying to figure where to go. I do want to keep turbo setup. So does everyone agree either buy a forged 346 from TSP or should I just buy forged internals and let a local machine shop install components. Still need a little help on components to install. Dished pistons? What rods and rings are best? Can someone PM me a link to a forged 346 from TSP for $2500 dont see that anywhere. I dont know much about the technical side of the specs but want to make sure I get the parts right so after the build 10-12 pounds is no problem. Already have valve springs and upgraded injectors. Thinking about the ls6 cam but then have to buy pushrods. Know there is alot of questions I would really appreciate if someone could take the time to ansower the questions above. Thank you
Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

please read above post. But I have decided to keep my engine just do the rebuild I have 3500 for rebuild cost and already have engine pulled. Machine shop is going to install components and do block work can someone list me the parts to go back in. Right now it is stock other then valve springs, injectors, sts, tune. Any help on exact specs would be great Im at the stage of ordering parts.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt anyone trying to get this solved and stuff ordered today. Maybe someone from TSP if anyone knows them let them know business is waiting.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you're have a local shop do it, and you need to know what to order? the best thing to do is to communicate with your shop. if you need help on components selection im sure if you give TSP a call they'll help you out, or someone will with a simmilar setup will chime in.