Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Restrictor questions, clarification? standard, Z06, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Restrictor questions, clarification? standard, Z06, etc.

ok, if searched and haven't got any real clarification on the oil restrictor that goes in the back of the block.

i heard somewhere that the Z06 vettes use a different restrictor to minimize the amount of oil going to the top of the motor. this also increases main pressure. many GENIII owners (like myself) loose oil pressure in high g turns, or in my case an offroad vehicle. the problem seems to come from two things; poor sump design (which can be helped with a baffles/trap-door style pan), and poor oil drain back caused from too much oil to the top end.

i keep comming across this part number: 12573460 which i think is the standard restrictor.

does anyone have any other part numbers for restrictors and can clarify the differences.

show pictures if possible - thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

That's not a top-end-only restrictor, and I am not sure why it would even be called a restrictor, the best name for it would be a diverter/plug as that is its function. ALL engine oil passes by that barbell plug, so if you restrict it more, you will have less oil everywhere, main bearings, rods, cam and lifters, etc. The only thing you can do is add restricted pushrods, but they are mainly for solid roller lifters that pump a lot of oil to the top end.

Which oil pan are you running?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
That's not a top-end-only restrictor, and I am not sure why it would even be called a restrictor, the best name for it would be a diverter/plug as that is its function. ALL engine oil passes by that barbell plug, so if you restrict it more, you will have less oil everywhere, main bearings, rods, cam and lifters, etc. The only thing you can do is add restricted pushrods, but they are mainly for solid roller lifters that pump a lot of oil to the top end.

Which oil pan are you running?
i agree with you about it being a "diverter" not a restrictor after looking at the oil routing. it looks like it just forces the oil to go through the filter. i thought the Z06 one i heard about had like a .060 hole in, but don't really see what that would do according to the diagram. maybe it is a part that goes somewhere completely different.

using the F-body pan. ordered a baffle last week. it looks promising. http://www.improvedracing.com/produc...847e3ba8797f66

have you heard of there being more than one style of these "diverters"
Attached Thumbnails Oil Restrictor questions, clarification? standard, Z06, etc.-lsx_oil_route.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 02:36 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

There are 2 I know of, but the only difference is the 2nd one replaced the 1st design as it would pop out under high pressure and cause lower engine oil pressure when the o-ring was not sealing anymore.

The truck pan with it's deeper sump might be better if the trap-door setup doesn't help. Also an accusump setup is always good on vehicles where the pickup becomes uncovered. I think it's a little pricier.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
There are 2 I know of, but the only difference is the 2nd one replaced the 1st design as it would pop out under high pressure and cause lower engine oil pressure when the o-ring was not sealing anymore.

The truck pan with it's deeper sump might be better if the trap-door setup doesn't help. Also an accusump setup is always good on vehicles where the pickup becomes uncovered. I think it's a little pricier.
can't run the truck pan - not enough room.

already running oil accumulator - but only gives about 45sec of pressure, need more sometimes, plus IMO an accumulator is for last resort.

i'm pretty sure there is another restrictor out there - it's just little known. the original info i got also included "hard to find & get".
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Might want to install a switch to cut the engine in case the OP gets too low.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

well, i stand corrected!

after some searching, i finally tracked down where the info came from and actually purchased one of these restrictors from him (out of convienance).

there are (were) 2 different ones. 12573460 replaces the old one, and does restrict flow to the top end (it is NOT simply a diverter - oil is allowd to flow around the ribs). this part number apparently has redesigned ribs of larger diameter than the old style.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Restrictor questions, clarification? standard, Z06, etc.-block-restrictor.jpg  

Quick Reply: Oil Restrictor questions, clarification? standard, Z06, etc.