Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

2-3 quarts being burnt off in 6,000 miles is not unreasonable, and if you beat on that car you shouldnt run synthetic to 6,000 anyway, you could have lost a bearing to oil breakdown also.

Anyway to me it sounds like a rod bearing but you should have found copper shavings in the oil and **** on the plug, have you pulled the other valve cover yet? ran the engine with the belt off to eliminate accessories? torque converter/flywheel bolts can also cause a knock if loose.

And I have also seen a LS1 with spun bearings have good oil pressure. Best of luck to you. And from now on change that oil sooner, if you beat on it more than average you need to maintain it more than average.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM
DGraboyes

im in the process of taking the other side apart... can it also be a lifter problem? no one has said anything about that
Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGraboyes
im in the process of taking the other side apart... can it also be a lifter problem? no one has said anything about that
lifters typically make a different sound...

let's put it this way... my old LS1 had rod knock, spun bearings, lifter failure, every valve hit every piston...

and it still managed to make 300+ rwhp after 10 runs on the dyno with all those problems!

had great oil pressure the whole time...

but the sound you have is definitely rod knock... I'd bet money on it...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure you rule everything else out first though, you'll feel like a real goof if you rip the motor out only to find its something simple and stupid.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

my question is where did that oil go in the first place?? I didnt change my oil for 6000 miles once and my oil was always full. Sounds like you have more issues too. I would just say bye bye to that motor and do the ls2 like you have posted in your other thread.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM
DGraboyes

alright well i pulled the head on the side with the noise and the lifters seemed fine.. minor scarring on 2 of them but nothing serious..

so now with lifters and pushrods ruled out im not looking forward to finding this rod knock...

one piston had the top third of it clean while the rest wasnt.. this i have no idea what it could be

all the valves looked to be in clean condition... ill post pics soon

pulling the oil pan next
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

based on what you just said and listening to your video, I'd say the rod under that clean piston is the culprit. The timing of the noise in the video is consistant with a rod getting ready to let go. At this point, if it were my ride, I'd plan on it not being an "in car" repair. Even if you could just repair it in the car, one bad bearing is indication that the others aren't far behind. I'm with Z28Steve; I'd prep another engine for swap.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Launching!

MHO...

pull the other valve cover if you haven't already. something I've learned with these motors is they can make engine problem noise do funny things. I had a rocker arm break on mine and the sound from the pushrod bouncing off the underside of the valve cover sounded deeply internal. even the smallest amounts of metal, cleaned up and examined, can tell you worlds about what the condition of your motor is. local oil test facilities are a wonderous thing, if you have them in your area.

any clean, shiny metal surfaces that are not consistant with the rest of the motor should be looked at, along with the surrounding pieces of the shiny location to try and determine why that area reacted differently than the rest and if it is a concern.

if a rod or crank bearing is toast, and the others do not show extensive wear or damage, it would be acceptable to replace that bearing, recheck your tolerances on that journal, and go. if the crank/rod journals had any defects large enough to catch a fingernail on, id see if the crank can be polished, and if the defect is too large, turned down and reinstalled with oversized bearings.

when everything is done, if in doubt, by all means rebalance the rotating assembly. 1 ounce of unbalanced metal on a counterweight has a dynamic weight of 700-something pounds at 6k rpm.

don't know your knowledge level, but remember to index your caps and bolts if you start pulling the crank to check the journal/bearing condition.

good luck!

Last edited by nine-eight; 03-29-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM
DGraboyes

took off the other head.. now i have both off and nothing seems to be out of place =[ sad

ill post the pics later tonight
Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
DGraboyes

here are the pics of the passenger head

i want some advice on what you think could be on that one valve and why that one piston has abnormal carbon build up on it
Attached Thumbnails KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0046.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0047.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0048.jpg   KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!-photo0049.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnoWhoThisIs
you got the heads off it too?? if so you can more than likley tell which cylinder it is if it is a rod knock by looking at the top of the pistons.. they will have a clean spot where it had been hittin the head if you get what i mean..
Based on what you're saying and the pictures... I think this guy said it all. I'm going with rod knock as well. Hope it's not, but evidence is starting to show otherwise. Best of luck either way man. Damn cars!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Launching!

fraid so. your piston has been kissing the underside of your combustion chamber.

yank the motor
index the rod caps, throw away the bolts
yank the crank, take it with the heads down to the machine shop and have them inspect and check for straightness. if he has to mill the kissed one to true it up he might as well have both.

new bearings, new rods if one of the stockers is messed up, rebalance rotating assembly with new bolts and reinstall everything. chleck valves on kissed cylinder head.

or,

buy 402 shortblock and a 1300 dollar set of patriot heads and be done with it.

wheeeeeeee!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
DGraboyes

Originally Posted by nine-eight
fraid so. your piston has been kissing the underside of your combustion chamber.

yank the motor
index the rod caps, throw away the bolts
yank the crank, take it with the heads down to the machine shop and have them inspect and check for straightness. if he has to mill the kissed one to true it up he might as well have both.

new bearings, new rods if one of the stockers is messed up, rebalance rotating assembly with new bolts and reinstall everything. chleck valves on kissed cylinder head.

or,

buy 402 shortblock and a 1300 dollar set of patriot heads and be done with it.

wheeeeeeee!

as much as id love to just throw the money out there for the 402 and patriot heads i dont have it =[

i do however have a guy with a ls1 shortblock with 3000 miles on it for 800... any idea what the milling and **** would cost if i were to try and fix my block?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 PM
DGraboyes

does anyone think it could possibly a collapsed lifter?

and if it was would i have noticed that when taking them out?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 PM
DGraboyes

also with those pictures does that clear part on the piston and corresponding valve tell me that its a rod problem?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel for ya man but that is a rod bearing sound to me......That sound is a knock not a lifter tick......
Old 03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Again, look at that one piston that does not have any carbon buildup in the quench area, the part of the cylinder head that is flat, i.e. no combustion chamber. It's clean because your quench area is zero because the piston is hitting the cylinder head
Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
DGraboyes

i added pictures of the rod and crank where i saw scarring and i could actually wiggle the rod back and forth with my fingers

also i found that spring in my lifter tray
Old 03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Again, look at that one piston that does not have any carbon buildup in the quench area, the part of the cylinder head that is flat, i.e. no combustion chamber. It's clean because your quench area is zero because the piston is hitting the cylinder head
X2, that clean piston, thats the one with the spun bearing, also why the edge of the valve is shiny, been hitting the piston.

If I looked at the pic right thats cylinder 6
Old 03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

rough

Quick Reply: KNOCK.. not good.. need major advice PLEASE!!