Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Keeps Dying

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alternator Keeps Dying

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem before. My alternator will die sometimes if I reach high RPMs... This problem has been going on for almost 2 years now. If I let the RPM's reach anywhere over 5k my alternator most likely will die. It's happened so many times I can't count... I look down and my battery is in the red. Any help anyone had this problem??

2000 Camaro M6
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say it sounds like a voltage regulator but i think they are built in to the alternator itself, if not then thats ur problem. I would also check all your wiring, you may have a short in it somewhere, i had a small short and it fried my alternator within a week.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
FormerVendor

Ive had this problem on a few cars...solution was to install an inline resistor to the alternator, it will keep the alternator from putting out to much and burning itself up.

They are .99 cents from Radio shack for the resistors and you cut and solder it inline in the single wire to the plug on the alternator (the little 16 gauge wire).

I dont have which OHM resistor it is in front of me , but you should find it by searching for it in the hybrid/conversions section
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

are they gm alts or autozone ones?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS
I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem before. My alternator will die sometimes if I reach high RPMs... This problem has been going on for almost 2 years now. If I let the RPM's reach anywhere over 5k my alternator most likely will die. It's happened so many times I can't count... I look down and my battery is in the red. Any help anyone had this problem??

2000 Camaro M6
Your alternator dies? Does your electrical system fail?

Your battery shouldn't lose voltage instantaneously. Your vehicle will run for a short time without an alternator to keep the battery charged and your electrical system running. It could be just your voltage sensing circuit to your gauge if your electrical system is fine during this period about 5k rpms. After 2 years of this... why havent you changed the alternator if this is the suspected failed/failing part?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
Ive had this problem on a few cars...solution was to install an inline resistor to the alternator, it will keep the alternator from putting out to much and burning itself up.

They are .99 cents from Radio shack for the resistors and you cut and solder it inline in the single wire to the plug on the alternator (the little 16 gauge wire).

I dont have which OHM resistor it is in front of me , but you should find it by searching for it in the hybrid/conversions section
You found a resistor at radio shack to install inline for the feed line into the alternator? Thats around 2 amps current which would be around 24 Watts!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortunately it is an autozone alternator. I don't want to go and buy a new $350 GM alternator if the same problem is going to kep happening. It's not the guage. The car will run for about 15 minutes until the battery starts dying as well. I had to get it towed back home Sunday night, changed the alternator again Monday morning. I've changed the alternator about 9-10 times. I'm sure people have had this problem with their Camaro's because I keep hearing about them, I just never hear a fix. Whether it's a short in the wire or what??
Old 04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately it is an autozone alternator. I don't want to go and buy a new $350 GM alternator if the same problem is going to kep happening. It's not the guage. The car will run for about 15 minutes until the battery starts dying as well. I had to get it towed back home Sunday night, changed the alternator again Monday morning. I've changed the alternator about 9-10 times. I'm sure people have had this problem with their Camaro's because I keep hearing about them, I just never hear a fix. Whether it's a short in the wire or what??
Woah.. 9 or 10 times? I would def look for a short or something, something isnt controlling something and is taking way to much power up.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Have you done any pulley changes/upgrades?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Is the connector on the alternator loose at all? Just trying to troubleshoot in my head. Do you have access to a Voltage/Ohm Meter?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

One wire alternator?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Define "die". What is your electrical troubleshooting background. Are you familiar with Ohm's law? It is the basis for ALL electrical circuits and by implication troubleshooting them. How you checked the alt. output before and after this event to conclude it made your alt. "die"? Do you have parasitic draw? Is this happening only at the track or also under normal day to day driving? You aren't providing enough detailed info to get the help you need. Why have you waited until you have changed out 9 alt.s to ask this question? No one gets that many bad alt.s even from Auto Zone.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

I have had nothing but issues with Autozone electrial stuff, I would get a NAPA one or GM - AC Delco one.

Also when you take it back to autozone, they should be doing a test on it to see if the voltage reg is burned out.

Its almost like the votage regulator in the Autozone one isnt designed to run at that high RPM, if that is indeed the same RMP you can kill them at. (5000)
Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Define "die". What is your electrical troubleshooting background. Are you familiar with Ohm's law? It is the basis for ALL electrical circuits and by implication troubleshooting them. How you checked the alt. output before and after this event to conclude it made your alt. "die"? Do you have parasitic draw? Is this happening only at the track or also under normal day to day driving? You aren't providing enough detailed info to get the help you need. Why have you waited until you have changed out 9 alt.s to ask this question? No one gets that many bad alt.s even from Auto Zone.

It's not every single time I hit 5k RPM, it seems to happen every once in a while. I do know OHM's law E=IxR.... ANYWAYS... the alternator doesn't charge I'm simply running off battery at that point... not sure how to explain it in simpler terms. I've changed the connector with one from GM, simple 1 wire connector. It happens sometimes when I burnout, rev the engine high with a load, etc. NOT EVERY SINGLE TIME... but it's kind of a gamble as to if it'll go bad or not. I haven't checked for any parasitic draw of any kind. from a day to day car runs and drives fine. No pulley changes or anything like that... only thing on the car is LT's and it's been happening since before I put those on.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Unhappy same problem

2000 Camaro M6
BlueMagicSS
Hey I was wondering if you found the problem your having with the alternator. I own a 1990 camaro rs and I've had the same problem with it blowing the alternator every few months. I have replaced the alternator about 5 times now and also cannot find any solutions to what is going on. Everything on the car is original, nothing has been added or modified. My brother inlaw owned a 89 camaro rs and also had the same issue with the alternator dying every few months. He never was able to fiqure out what the problem was and ended up selling the car. If you have any information since your last post please reply, I would really like to get to the bottom of the problem, don't want to sell my car, everything else is perfect.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 PM

Default alt

Whats happening is your over reving it blowing the wires of the plat inside mine does the same thing still trying diff stuff ive got a clutched pully on it at this time 6500 good 7000 fail if your only pushing 5500-6000 use yukon denili pully it will hold for a while
Old 10-05-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard of people with this problem and it turned out to be the diodes in the alternator. Many rebuilt alternators use cheap diodes that cant live at high RPM. The fix was to get a used (not rebuilt) KG3 alternator. I have one on my LS1. I had to remove the back bracket to get it to fit. My limiter is set to 6800 and I have been there many times without a failure.
Try searching "KG3" and look for a thread with a huge number of replies.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Buy a quality alt and be done with it. That auto zone stuff is used garbage.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

You guys are replying to a thread that's several years old lol. ....And now I am.... Pretty sure the OP either solved the problem or sold the car by now.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes but it would be nice to know if or what solved his problem.

Quick Reply: Alternator Keeps Dying