Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morel Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Caddy lifters ?!?!?!?!? Have you seen any of the numerous threads about failures using caddy lifters????????

Look, I sell these Morels left and right and certainly dont need you to buy them from me but for gods sake do some research on your lifter choice.
WHOA, you need to slow down there. Do you know how many sets of Caddy lifters are out there and how small that percentage of failures was? Do you know just how many sets of those lifters leave here and other sponsors daily without incident? Caddy lifters, at least from us, outsell the Morel/Lunati/whatever name exponentially and we do not have floods of reports of failures like you are making it sound.

He did research, and he had already heard from other reputable sources that he should make that choice before he ever got us on the phone, and then we supported that idea. I would put the caddy lifters in my personal car right now. . .why? Because I don't get scared because of a few online posts that blow a problem out of proportion. I would have made the same choice he did for my own car, is that because I haven't researched?

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem Jess, we see it differently thats all. We and I know of a few other shops as well who have not liked what they saw from them. We just have a difference of opinion on them. I'm used to more extreme situations where we would never use anything less than a Morel.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
WHOA, you need to slow down there. Do you know how many sets of Caddy lifters are out there and how small that percentage of failures was? Do you know just how many sets of those lifters leave here and other sponsors daily without incident? Caddy lifters, at least from us, outsell the Morel/Lunati/whatever name exponentially and we do not have floods of reports of failures like you are making it sound.

He did research, and he had already heard from other reputable sources that he should make that choice before he ever got us on the phone, and then we supported that idea. I would put the caddy lifters in my personal car right now. . .why? Because I don't get scared because of a few online posts that blow a problem out of proportion. I would have made the same choice he did for my own car, is that because I haven't researched?
Late to the party here, but having just experienced a lifter failure on my LS3, and trying to do the research to avoid the same thing on the 427 I'm building, this warrants additional discussion.

I don't understand all the hype about the Caddy lifters, other than maybe trying to get something for nothing. Lifter failures are unacceptable in any quantity. Destroying a $10K engine by saving a couple hundred bucks on lifters is absurd. I guess my bone stock LS3 didn't need Morels, either, but the pieces of engine that spit out my tailpipes tell me otherwise.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

From surfing for the various reports about Caddilac lifter failures here is what I have come up with. It seems as though the Caddy lifter has been designed to be a "quiet" lifter that likes to be run with lower lift numbers (.560 and under), but can consequently be used in higher rpm situations, (around 7,000) (shorter strokes, less mass, smaller volume hydraulic compensation chamber, higher rpm potential) . As such, "most" of the "failures" you will come across when searching for them, will be from users that have used them in applications that are somewhat out of their original design intent (parameters). Think about it, GM designed the lifter to be used in the CTS-V, a vehicle that was as much about luxury as it was about performance. Sure they got the rear end wrong, but at least they took the time to get the lifter right. They intended to get the valvetrain noise minimized so that the car did not have a NVH issue in the cabin, as that would be completely opposite the direction they were going for.

Again, anyone that disagrees with me, that's understandable (it's the internet!). But I ask that you re-read my post and note that I said "most" of the failures I have read about are attributed to the above conditions.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

I ran Caddy lifters for a real short period of time (without issue). I got spooked with the limited failure reports on here and opted for the Morels on my new build. As stated above in a race atmosphere the couple extra bucks seemed worth it to me and this motor did not cost me anywhere near 10K (or even near half of that).
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
I ran Caddy lifters for a real short period of time (without issue). I got spooked with the limited failure reports on here and opted for the Morels on my new build. As stated above in a race atmosphere the couple extra bucks seemed worth it to me and this motor did not cost me anywhere near 10K (or even near half of that).

You're running low 10's with just heads, cam and intake!!??
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
after speaking with several sponsors, they do not recomend morel lifters for my application, thank you all for not selling me something that i really dont need, so i just ordered the "caddy" lifters from Scoggin Dickey, thanks much Jesse !!
I'm with Chris on this one. I only recommend Morel lifters, not only are they damn near bullet proof, the hydraulics on the lifter are FAR superior than any other lifter on the market. Whoever wouldn't recommend them over another lifter, for any application, is just trying to make a quick sale. There is not a single application from bone stock to race that the morels can't run in. The hydraulics of the lifter have also been tested to show much better valvetrain stability and helping with valve float compared to other lifters as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 AM
CARTEK Racing

I know Im way late to the party, but I ran Comp-R lifters with stock rocker arms for 2+ years w/o a single problem.

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
You're running low 10's with just heads, cam and intake!!??
Many people have done it...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
I'm with Chris on this one. I only recommend Morel lifters, not only are they damn near bullet proof, the hydraulics on the lifter are FAR superior than any other lifter on the market. Whoever wouldn't recommend them over another lifter, for any application, is just trying to make a quick sale. There is not a single application from bone stock to race that the morels can't run in. The hydraulics of the lifter have also been tested to show much better valvetrain stability and helping with valve float compared to other lifters as well.
If you don't want to run them than don't run them, but don't insult me or the multiple other vendors on the site by saying we are looking to make a quick sale when you outright have no idea what you are talking about. You think I wouldn't rather sell a set of $500+ lifters over a set of $250 lifters? Of course I would, but I never have and never will recommend that upgrade unless it's the best parts choice for a particular application. That would be shady and poor business practice, we base our sales and recommendations on experience with hundreds of builds and our customers can rest assured that through our 80 years of experience in the business and being one of the largest distributors to end customers and other vendors that we make the right call for parts in their applications.

LS7 lifters have their place, Caddy lifters have their place and different versions of morels have their different places. Before you say that there isn't a single application that the Morels can't run in from stock to "race" you need to realize that any ONE lifter from Morel isn't optimal for every application like you stated. Depending on your application we actually recommend different Morels, just like we recommend the LS7 and Caddy lifter differently. Use the wrong Morel in the wrong application and it's no better than a caddy or LS7 lifter in the wrong application. There is a lot more to it than saying Caddy lifters can fail in every application and Morels are perfect for every application.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Scoggin here, and not to throw you under the bus Haans. The point I was trying to make is that the top end needs to be matched up. Running Caddy lifters with springs and valve lift they were not meant for is very dangerous to your engines health. Same with the LS7 lifters BUT thats not to say those lifters are not good or very effective in the area they were designed for because they are.

I recommend the Morel because most of the guys I talk to or deal with are running above 6000 rpms all the time and with heavy springs and pressures with the dual springs.

In short match the valvetrain components wisely , I use Scoggin all the time they are a good bunch of guys.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-13-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
If you don't want to run them than don't run them, but don't insult me or the multiple other vendors on the site by saying we are looking to make a quick sale when you outright have no idea what you are talking about. You think I wouldn't rather sell a set of $500+ lifters over a set of $250 lifters? Of course I would, but I never have and never will recommend that upgrade unless it's the best parts choice for a particular application. That would be shady and poor business practice, we base our sales and recommendations on experience with hundreds of builds and our customers can rest assured that through our 80 years of experience in the business and being one of the largest distributors to end customers and other vendors that we make the right call for parts in their applications.

LS7 lifters have their place, Caddy lifters have their place and different versions of morels have their different places. Before you say that there isn't a single application that the Morels can't run in from stock to "race" you need to realize that any ONE lifter from Morel isn't optimal for every application like you stated. Depending on your application we actually recommend different Morels, just like we recommend the LS7 and Caddy lifter differently. Use the wrong Morel in the wrong application and it's no better than a caddy or LS7 lifter in the wrong application. There is a lot more to it than saying Caddy lifters can fail in every application and Morels are perfect for every application.
I didn't mean any disrespect, and I wasn't trying to imply that you were out for a quick sale, if I thought so, I would have just said so. I've bought from you guys plenty of times, and trust your judgment. What I was trying to say is if there was a vendor that would recommend the caddy/LS7 lifters OVER the morels for any other reason than price, then I would be in doubt. In my opinion, it wouldn't be shaddy business to recommend an upgrade for any part, as half the time the consumer may not even know they have the option. Yes there are a few different types of Morels, and yes each has their place, but what can be guaranteed, is that the correct morel lifter will always outperform the OEM piece for all the reasons i've mentioned above and more.

Quick Reply: Morel Lifters