Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke my forged crank in half..... pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damm i have an eagle crank this **** is making me nervous.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
damm i have an eagle crank this **** is making me nervous.

I seriously think if you take that eagle cranks have a problem based on this post, you must not understand at all what happened.

Do you plan on your oil pickup falling off, having zero oil pressure and than driving it for several miles afterwards? If no, then your crankshaft will be fine.

If you have plans on driving with no oil pressure and get the crank/rods so hot they turn blue, then im probably more worried on why you would do that in the first place.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoCalSpd
I seriously think if you take that eagle cranks have a problem based on this post, you must not understand at all what happened.

Do you plan on your oil pickup falling off, having zero oil pressure and than driving it for several miles afterwards? If no, then your crankshaft will be fine.

If you have plans on driving with no oil pressure and get the crank/rods so hot they turn blue, then im probably more worried on why you would do that in the first place.
several minutes afterwards? the car was drivin for 30 seconds...... please dont make false accusations as to what you "think" happened.

also, the rods and crank are not necessarily "purple" they are more coked in oil than anything else from the heat. The reason they appear to be purplish red is because my car is in the background and its the reflection of the red paint on the crank. like i said, i will get some better pictures as soon as i get it torn down. got a bit busy last night and trashed my shoulder at the gym so i wasnt in the mood to go hammer on a torqued down crank pulley
Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

You clearly said yourself, youre not sure when it happened and how long it was driven that way.

The pickup bolt doesnt fall out all at once, you would have had "low oil pressure" for awhile when the bolt was partially out and the o-ring wasnt sealing (similar to all the people that have low oil pressure when they mess up the o-ring install all the time) that started the damage and when it finally fell off and had zero oil with rpm you put the nail in the coffin.

I'm sorry that it happened to you, and its **** thing to deal with...but any crankshaft would likely of had the same type of damage from what happened
Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

You clearly said yourself, youre not sure when it happened and how long it was driven that way.

The pickup bolt doesnt fall out all at once, you would have had "low oil pressure" for awhile when the bolt was partially out and the o-ring wasnt sealing (similar to all the people that have low oil pressure when they mess up the o-ring install all the time) that started the damage and when it finally fell off and had zero oil with rpm you put the nail in the coffin.

I'm sorry that it happened to you, and its **** thing to deal with...but any crankshaft would likely of had the same type of damage from what happened

so cal... if the engine was having horrible oil pressure issues for a while then i would have more bad bearings as well as damage to cam lobes and such as well correct?

i understand what your saying, but damage to the engine is very minimal other than the broken crank. i believe most of the damage to hte main bearing was done after the crank snapped.

either way, it broke, it wasnt the first problem ive had with it, and im not the only person to have the other problems. I as a customer feel very let down by eagle and thats just the way i feel.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:36 PM
drz
On The Tree

A crank needs oil no matter what brand it is. The motor was going to sustain major damage regardless, and a different crank wouldn't have saved your motor from damage.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any crank will fail and even snap in half if there's an oiling problem going on. But man, an Eagle crank, aren't they made in China with known quality issues? Why on earth would anyone want to use an Eagle crank or any Eagle part when the entire engine is on the line. I'd rather spend another 3-4 months saving money and go for a Cola, Lunati or Callies.

I've got about 110,000 miles on my Cola. ~500 RWHP
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy **** man.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Has the crank ever been straightened? Straightening a crankshaft (by bending/yielding it) sets up some detrimental residual stresses. Looks like it initiated in the inside of the pin fillet, typical fatigue failure location. Other possiblities; material defect, handling damage, improper heat treat, or just plain over-stress.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS6427
Any crank will fail and even snap in half if there's an oiling problem going on. But man, an Eagle crank, aren't they made in China with known quality issues? Why on earth would anyone want to use an Eagle crank or any Eagle part when the entire engine is on the line. I'd rather spend another 3-4 months saving money and go for a Cola, Lunati or Callies.

I've got about 110,000 miles on my Cola. ~500 RWHP
We've used 50 Eagle LS forged cranks with zero failures up to 1000 rwhp. There hasnt been one report of a broken crankshaft due to excessive horsepower that ive ever seen anywhere. That doesnt include oil problems which are unrelated to crank design
Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We've used 50 Eagle LS forged cranks with zero failures up to 1000 rwhp. There hasnt been one report of a broken crankshaft due to excessive horsepower that ive ever seen anywhere. That doesnt include oil problems which are unrelated to crank design
I ust don't see why people build a $14,000 motor and don't just go with the best crank possible. I don't mean an exotic crazy crank, but the top industry manufacturers.

Hasen't there been some problems with Eagle cranks over the years? Manufacturing issues that had to be addressed or something like that?

And damn, if I'm building a 1,000 RWHP set-up...I know damn well I'm gonna have the BEST crank I can get for the set-up.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Eagle LS1 cranks may not be the very best out there but I have had basically no real issues with them either besides when they had the leaking back plugs. Practically every major vendor on this web site uses them and so do people like World or Shafiroff in Long Island among many others. They aren't the same as a Sonny Bryant that's for sure but they don't cost as much either!

I've seen a few broken cranks so even that is not super surprising to me and I don't know what happened whatsoever anyway so it might have been bad or might not have. I can't tell. The 3K Billet Windberg that had 4 cranks in it was certainly a good crank but it still broke so anything can break.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

i guess this was my outlook on it....

there have been DOZENS of threads with people's pickups coming off... even on stock engines.

what happened in all their cases? spun bearings... even when driven for a while... i have never seen a broken crank on this website from lack of oiling. Yeah, it makes sense... but it just hasnt happened that i know of or have seen. There have ALWAYS been other things that went long before the crank. The oil pickup tube has definately come off on other engines, as well as pinched o rings and horrible oil pressure.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

and btw. im not really pissed at this point in time. more happy than anything.

now i have another reason to actually carry out my plans of a kenne bell blown big cubed stroker
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

sorry for the delay... i was kinda sick of looking at the motor let alone working on it.

Got it apart today. Cam looks great, no loss of oil on those bearings.

Ill let the pics speak for themselves though... i have come to the conclusion this was DEFINATELY a bad crank from eagle, at least thats my opinion.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

Very sorry to hear man...

From the heat I see in some of those parts from running with no oil. I definitely see why I think any crankshaft would have likely had the same failure.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd only looked at this thread on my phone which has a small screen and these are some rather large pictures. I was under the impression it cracked and the counter weights had taken the damage. I didn't realize it had literaly broken in half (Yes, I read the title).
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

lol yeah... it was literally flopping around in there.

man this thread has 1800 views already..... pretty sure i need my title changed to unluckiest person on earth lol.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

So the oil pickup tube bolt came out? Where did the bolt go? Was it just knocking around in the there for awhile?
The look of those bearings and surfaces screams oil starvation. That disaster wasnt conclusively Eagle's fault in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:07 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
lol yeah... it was literally flopping around in there.

man this thread has 1800 views already..... pretty sure i need my title changed to unluckiest person on earth lol.
Negative, I most certainly have you beat. My engine blew chunks out of the block and oil pan when I went to start it. It never even started. I just stuck the key in, turned it, and clunk, clunk, boom it blew. I also victim of the most random ownage via SSU and my old teacher.

Quick Reply: Broke my forged crank in half..... pics inside