Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Motor, no oil pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteseven
Well this engine is in a 93 Mazda Rx7 so it's actually EASIER to work on then an F-body. I Just drop the subframe (6 bolts, leave a-arms connected) and unbolt the steering rack and I have enough room to pull the pan and pick up tube.
Also, I'm moving to Ft. Walton Beach, FL.
Oh. Well.....
Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Launching!

When I put mine together I put some thick oil treatment in the oil pump to help lube it on start up. When I went to prime the motor I started getting scared because it ended up taking about 45 seconds to build oil pressure. The last ls1 i did it only took a few seconds. good luck
Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

I bought a new cam retainer plate today and I'll be on my way home to install it in about an hour. Couple plans I have for tonight/this weekend is to fully prime the oil pump and lifters manually. Like I said earlier my theory is that the lifters are not pumping up with oil as they should. So I'll probably pour some oil into the lifter trays from the heads and then take a drill, attach it to the crank and see if I can get some oil flow up into the heads after "manually priming" the oil pump with my fist.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Launching!

I pulled my plugs, jacked the rear of the car up as high as it would go to submerge the oil pump. Within a few seconds it built up like 35 lbs of pressure. Just another thought when you get it back in.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 68 RS Convertible
I pulled my plugs, jacked the rear of the car up as high as it would go to submerge the oil pump. Within a few seconds it built up like 35 lbs of pressure. Just another thought when you get it back in.
Cranking pressure?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ok take a look at this:
The hole on the right of the oil pump, should there be a check valve there? Because the way the pump runs into the block it seems like all the pressure would beed right back into the front cover through this hole...
Old 04-24-2009, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

just throwing out more ideas here... is the oil pressure sensor new or used? have you checked for continuity between the plug connections and the wires?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

Ok take a look at this:
The hole on the right of the oil pump, should there be a check valve there? Because the way the pump runs into the block it seems like all the pressure would beed right back into the front cover through this hole...
Theres a BIG problem right there. There is suppossed to be a plug there much like a freeze out plug if you will. The part number for that plug is 09427693

It appears Joseph had this nailed down as a suspect in page 2 of this thread.
Originally Posted by -Joseph-

There is another plug (a metal cup plug) directly to the drivers side of the oil pump, if missing; it too will cause no-oil pressure.
<------- he nailed it on the head

Last edited by JFM-jr; 04-24-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

A thread I started a lil while back for further reference on this problem. This IS WITHOUT QUESTION your problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lley-plug.html
Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

F YES!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!! I'm going to shoot my engine builder in the face and go get this freeze plug.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

F YES!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!! I'm going to shoot my engine builder in the face and go get this freeze plug.
Damm
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Glad you found the problem and it didn't involve a major teardown.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I don't know that this will help whiteseven as it appears (hopefully) that the problem has been found. I've helped several people troubleshoot this problem from afar since this is such a common problem. Here is a thread that you folks might want to keep for future reference https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/774926-help-no-oil-pressure-new-motor.html.

I'll plan to follow whiteseven's progress to make sure that things really do work properly.

Steve
Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

I think most people would be really angry right now, I'm just really happy that it's a problem I can fix without buying another engine. It's half my fault for not recognizing there should have been a plug there when I picked up the shortblock from the engine builder. At least now I know I'm gonna make my May 7th deadline and have my car readying to roll.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think most people would be really angry right now, I'm just really happy that it's a problem I can fix without buying another engine. It's half my fault for not recognizing there should have been a plug there when I picked up the shortblock from the engine builder. At least now I know I'm gonna make my May 7th deadline and have my car readying to roll.
Hope this round of reassembly goes the way it should. good luck.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
I don't know that this will help whiteseven as it appears (hopefully) that the problem has been found. I've helped several people troubleshoot this problem from afar since this is such a common problem. Here is a thread that you folks might want to keep for future reference https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774926.

I'll plan to follow whiteseven's progress to make sure that things really do work properly.

Steve
Steve I found that thread to be excellent thanks for posting it.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know the Dorman part # for that plug? I picked up a dorman 5/8th plug which the machine shop said is used for the LS1 but it doesn't feel quite as tight as it should. It didn't take much effort for it to go in. The only reason I went this route is that part number for the dealer plug is special order and wouldn't be until sometime next week to get in. I think this is actually closer to a 16mm metric plug then a 5/8th plug which would be 15.8mm.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

JFM-jr,
I'm glad that you liked the information.

whiteseven,
I think that the best thing to do will be to wait until you can get the correct GM plug. Ask any local dealer to do a search for the P/N. Another dealer nearby may have it. For example, Chevy/Pontiac/GMC/Cadillac all use this engine series and the plugs. Any local dealer should be able to do a search for the part number and tell you if someone nearby has one. You need to clean the bore of the hole and the plug with some solvent, put some blue Locktite on the plug and drive it in with a mallet. It should be fairly tight. All (99%) of the plugs, etc. are metric dimensions.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 04-27-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Correct a couple of small errors.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Steve. I drove 116 miles round trip to the nearest dealership that had the plug this morning and installed it. I'm smack in the middle of reassembling the transmission to the engine so I can put the engine back in the car. It should be back up and running by noon tomorrow and I can load it on the trailer bound for the exhaust shop.

I truly appreciate everyone's help and I'll report on the oil pressure tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Steve. I drove 116 miles round trip to the nearest dealership that had the plug this morning and installed it. I'm smack in the middle of reassembling the transmission to the engine so I can put the engine back in the car. It should be back up and running by noon tomorrow and I can load it on the trailer bound for the exhaust shop.

I truly appreciate everyone's help and I'll report on the oil pressure tomorrow.
Did you check to see if he put the barbell plug in the back of the engine? If he missed the front one, he may have missed the rear one also.

Quick Reply: New Motor, no oil pressure.