Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start after heads/cam/intake install help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i did the ford motorsports 36# injectors back when i installed the t-rex cam
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

so its not the crank sensor or the cam sensor
Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99LS1Bird
Just got done with installing a thunder racing TR 230/224 .575/.563 111lsa cam started right up and after about 30 seconds began to hear valvetrain noise so i shut it down and found a messed up rocker. After replacing the rocker it wouldnt start so i pulled the plugs and they were drenched in fuel, i thought no fire, tested that its got fire, changed the plugs still same thing, checked the crank sensor and it was bad replaced it still wont start. If anyone has any idea what is wrong or it just needs a tune that bad please let me know
Thats alright zack by the time we get my car in the shop we will know how to fix this problem. lol
Old 04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

update: checked the cam today and it was installed correctly, cam and crank sensors are good, also i made sure the coil pak relocation kit was installed correctly-it was. valves are not too tight cuz i checked it with a compression tester today.....so i believe its the old tune that is causing a no start... unless anybody has any other ideas????
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

at first it sounded like you messed up the coil relo, but if you marked them and hooked the connector to the right set, then my next thoughts would be your timing internally......did you set it perfect and roatate the engine a couple revo's and see if it was on....? I would think it would fire if it was a heads and cam swap and everything was done right......without a tune.. if it diddnt just start then it seems like no fuel or spark....

But backfiring sounds like incorrect timing imo.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

sorrry didnt see the update post of you checking it! hmm, no start at all? justa occasional backfire?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

my problem was i put the #7 coil on the #1 cylinder, and it would backfire like hell cuz the firing order was wrong..try flipping the coils vise versa..
Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

today i noticed that the coils on the passenger side are reversed as in the one that was on the #8 cylinder is now on #2 and so on but i don't think that is the problem cuz its just the coils themselves. After they have the plug on they still go to the right cylinder ex:first coil goes to the first cylinder and so on???? or am i wrong.....
Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

i read about this all the time, thats what i said . coil relocations then cars dont start...make sure you got them right...a coil is a coil and interchangable but the plugs and the firing order is what you need right...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cyacops
today i noticed that the coils on the passenger side are reversed as in the one that was on the #8 cylinder is now on #2 and so on but i don't think that is the problem cuz its just the coils themselves. After they have the plug on they still go to the right cylinder ex:first coil goes to the first cylinder and so on???? or am i wrong.....
flip them around, and it should start up
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cyacops
i dont know about you but, i could kinda read the number on the coil..its hard to read..its on the wire that connects all the coils.in the dark yellow part..looks like ****
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

i hope its not his coils cuz if people cant even relocate coils right then WTF are they doing changing cams (even tho its easy.) and stuff lol kinda ridiculous if THAT is the case
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dub.ya.es.SICK
i hope its not his coils cuz if people cant even relocate coils right then WTF are they doing changing cams (even tho its easy.) and stuff lol kinda ridiculous if THAT is the case
most likley it is..you want to hurry and drive/hear your new cam..and you start it and it dosen't idle, backfires..you think you fucked something up..then you look at the numbers on the coil..and realize its on backwards..
Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

do things right and you most likely can hear drive your new cam quicker....now the poeple that F'd up are doing rework to drive/hear their cam and they have no idea what is wrong with it!!! i hope they can drive/hear it soon but most likely it is caused by themselves...maitenance induce maitenance..imo
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

do things right and you most likely can hear drive your new cam quicker....now the poeple that F'd up are doing rework to drive/hear their cam and they have no idea what is wrong with it!!! i hope they can drive/hear it soon but most likely it is caused by themselves...maitenance induce maitenance..imo
its all a learning process
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

ya i hear that, nothing worse than a unexpected hiccup during a swap or install of something....seems like whenever I do anything I always end up still going to autozone in the middle of it for something lol
Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

ya i hear that, nothing worse than a unexpected hiccup during a swap or install of something....seems like whenever I do anything I always end up still going to autozone in the middle of it for something lol
LOL..You speak the truth..
Old 04-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

well it wasn't the coils the question that i had was i know the coils are not side specific but are they cylinder specific when they are mounted on the stock rail?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

called speed inc today and they told me i need to put some rtv on the fast intake-between the upper and lower and also between the intake to the cylinder head cuz they don't seal very well...so i'll try that
Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

hope this works cuz i'm pulling my hair out on what this problem could be i spent about 5 months on this install making sure everything is ok, i was so meticulous with everything i installed. This was the first time i have done an install slowly, and the first time i ever had a problem starting a car.....go figure