Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for lq4 build.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for lq4 build.

Please be patient as this is my first v8 build. I recently picked up a couple '00 lq4's for $650. One was a fire damaged long block and the other is a complete lift out with 200k. I've tore down the long block and found several cylinders were holding water. I've posted some pics below of the worst of the damage. I'm hoping this block is salvageable as I've got plans to stroke the other block next winter. Anyhow, I'd like to build this motor as budget friendly as possible. Power goals are 400-450rwhp N/A through a T-56. I've picked up an ls1 crank to replace the stock lq4. I'd like to keep the stock rods. Please give me some suggestions on a H/C combo and pistons. I've been looking at the l92 heads but don't know what cam and pistons would complement these best. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

The engine that i rebuilt for my camaro started off about 5x worse than that as far as rust is concerned, i had to soak the cylinders with wd40 and literally pound the piston out with a hammer.

It certainly looks repairable but its pretty hard to tell from looking at pictures. Take it to an engine builder they'll be able to tell you for sure.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Teching In

I hope its ok and cleans up with just a hone. New plans include a Rapid Motorsports Dominator 2X and flycut pistons.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

my 14k mile lq4 had water in 3 cylinders.after a hone still had some pitting.honed alittle more,then had too much clearance.these early engines had problems with excessive clearance beforehand after a few miles the pistons would rattle a little until it warmed up.they started coating the skirts in 03 to help this problem.i bit the bullet and had mine bored .030 over.