Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the dynotune done after 228 cam install

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009 | 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Default Got the dynotune done after 228 cam install

I got my dynotune done yesterday at vector motorsports. Before the cam, it put down 339 on a dynojet. I put down 349 on my 1st run, then gradually got better, several 376-79 pulls, then my best was 380 whp, 355 tq. That was on a mustang dyno. I figured about 370 cuz the mustang dynos usually read a lil lower. Very happy with the results & the way the car runs. I have had street tunes done before, & have gotten great results. I am glad I went to a place like vector, they really know their stuff. Better get your wallet out though, cuz it cost $445 to have it done. Still, money well spent.

Last edited by flintwrench69; 05-09-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2009 | 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Great job bro! Enjoy that combo & let us know if you need anything from us! If you ever deside to do cylinder heads give us a call. We'll build a custom cylinder head configuration for your goals! I'd expect to see the Stage 2.5 5.3l heads with proper milling to make 425rwhp or so in this combo!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-09-2009 | 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

So is it running better then before? You mentioned you were running pretty low times for that cam, have u ran it after the tune yet? I'm asking cause this is the cam im awaiting to put in now..lol
Old 05-09-2009 | 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah that 228r is a great cam
Old 05-09-2009 | 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fccs
So is it running better then before? You mentioned you were running pretty low times for that cam, have u ran it after the tune yet? I'm asking cause this is the cam im awaiting to put in now..lol
Its running much better after the tune. They added some timing, & got my fuel trims back to normal, & actually had to lean it out some. There was a spot around 4500 rpms where it would lose power from running too rich. It pulled hard after the cam install, but now it pulls a lot harder & smoother. Now I just need to either pick up a ported TB or maybe something in the 80-85 mm range that bolts up to the LS6 intake.

No, I havent went back to the track yet. It rained yesterday so track is always closed after it rained. I didnt have time anyway, but I am sure I will next weekend. This cam has a slightly bumpy idle, decent hp gain, while driving & at cruise, you cant even tell its not stock how it sounds & feels. When you get on it, it pulls nice. It also sounds sweet when you rev it. You will like this cam if thats what youre looking for.
Old 05-09-2009 | 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Its running much better after the tune. They added some timing, & got my fuel trims back to normal, & actually had to lean it out some. There was a spot around 4500 rpms where it would lose power from running too rich. It pulled hard after the cam install, but now it pulls a lot harder & smoother. Now I just need to either pick up a ported TB or maybe something in the 80-85 mm range that bolts up to the LS6 intake.

No, I havent went back to the track yet. It rained yesterday so track is always closed after it rained. I didnt have time anyway, but I am sure I will next weekend. This cam has a slightly bumpy idle, decent hp gain, while driving & at cruise, you cant even tell its not stock how it sounds & feels. When you get on it, it pulls nice. It also sounds sweet when you rev it. You will like this cam if thats what youre looking for.
Yea I picked up that with prc springs, has a 112lsa for me to. I got the standard 7.4 but im going to measure to be safe for pushrods, is that the same size you got for that cam? And how good of a pull is it, is it spread out so it puts the power to the ground or does it come all at once up higher and spin like 1-4th lol. Either way I will like it but just wondering since you just got it done.
Old 05-10-2009 | 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fccs
Yea I picked up that with prc springs, has a 112lsa for me to. I got the standard 7.4 but im going to measure to be safe for pushrods, is that the same size you got for that cam? And how good of a pull is it, is it spread out so it puts the power to the ground or does it come all at once up higher and spin like 1-4th lol. Either way I will like it but just wondering since you just got it done.
I just got the stock length 7.4 ones. On the LS6 you do have to measure but not on an LS1 unless you have LS6 heads from what I read. I didnt have a problem with anything, except changin the valvesprings broke my back from stayin bent over for 3 hrs. It runs strong, torque curve is flat from about 2000-5500 so more low end torque. I will have to launch it at much lower rpm now. If I accelerate hard, I can feel the tires spinning in 2nd. I wish I wouldve asked for a nice dyno printout of the HP & TQ graphic.