Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to measure lift and duration while it is in the engine????

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to measure lift and duration while it is in the engine????

I recently purchased a 2001 SS with 21k miles...previous owner says that original owner had an aftermrket cam installed. It sounds a little lopey at idle in park but I want to find out if this is for sure an aftermrket cam and what the lift and duration is...is there a tool or measuring device that I can use to figure this out? I pulled the valve cover and can see that there is stock rockers and valve springs. Any info is GREATLY appreciated.

On a side note...I have worked on cars in the past, including heavily modding my dad's 5.0 mustang in my teens...but this is my first venture into a car that I own myself, and my first experience with an F-body (which is an incredible car by the way). So far I have discovered that the car has a Flowmaster muffler, modified stock air box, and possibly a cam. Everything else looks to be stock, so I pretty much have a clean slate to start with. Thanks again for any info you all can share.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all you need is a degree kit. you will have to get one with a small wheel though.

i believe this one would work

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

other than that, you can use a fixture and a dial indicator to measure the lift.

The search button is your best friend. There is a ton of info on this site.