Sponsored by:

MTI Stealth Cam idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colonel
"However, I think that these labels of stealth cam are false advertising"

I don't think it's false advertisement. I think if you heard my exhaust at idle in person (like several at the Thunder Shootout did) you would swear it had the stock cam. When we heard my cam idle the first time, there was nothing we could call it but "Stealth" since "stock" was already taken.
I don't think the cam was tested in enough cars to qualify it as the "Stealth" cam. Obviously it doesn't behave stealth in every car. My brother bought it under the impression it would idle like the Colonel's car, stealth (sticking to the definition we settled on above). He wanted the true sleeper sound like your car does but as soon as we fired it up it loped at cold and operating temperature. MTI has seen this too in a customer's car they put the SS2 in. I don't think we can say it was definatively false advertising since the term stealth was never really defined thus making it very subjective. It is however, based on my direct experience with my brother's car, misleading for the reason I just mentioned, it loped. He bought it because he expected it to idle like Colonel's car, stealth, but it didn't, that's misleading.

I still don't doubt that it is truely stealth in Colonel's car, no doubt. I just think there are other variables that need to be defined and correlated to the acclimitation of the stealth the cam is capable before stamping it the "Stealth" cam (a cam that idles just like a stock LS1 in all applications)

Just for reference, here's the *.mpeg of the SS2 in my brother's
'00 WS6
all the bolt-ons, FLPs w/ORP, Magnaflow catback and a 3.5" cutout, stock idle tune in all regards
http://home.insightbb.com/~l.proctor1/ss2cam.mpg

I'm not blaming, etc, I'm just being objective. This is not a flame in anyway, just facts.

Last edited by CANNIBAL; 11-10-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I agree with Cannibal. I bought and installed the cam thinking that I would have a stock type idle. A 220/220 cam is fairly mild and a cam of similar specs idled well in an old 5.0L I had years ago. So I though it would idle similarly or perhaps smoother because the larger 5.7L engine. My logic was not very good I suppose. The way the car shakes and rocks really detracts a lot from its "streetablitly." I can tolerate the exhaust note, it is the rocking and shaking that just gotta go. If other cars are not shaking and rocking there has to be some way I can get mine to stop doing that. Surely MTI or some other tuners out there have experienced a similar problem before and found the cause of it.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default My theory I will test out this weekend

I think the problem lies with the MAP sensor. The Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor I think it is called. It is behind the intake manifold and senses the intake vacuum. My theory which I will test is that the MAP sensor on some cars is more sensitive, and reacts quicker to changes in manifold vacuum. This is one sensor that is directly impacted by a cam change. Most larger cams will have more overlap and probably a more erratic or lower vacuum. So the MAP sensor would react to this by giving the computer mixed signals instead of a steady reading. Just a wild guess but I will try disconnecting it and see what happens. Or will try to remove it and rig up a steady vacuum for it somehow to see if it doesn't help.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sell me your stealth II cam
Old 11-17-2003, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojan T/A
..... I know a car with no cats and a very high flow system with the stock cam that lopes, so the catback does effect it......
Does that car have headers? I have a stock cam with stock manifolds, gutted cats, and NO CAT-BACK---just the intermediate pipe with a turn down. My car is a bit loud, but it does not lope at all.......
Old 11-17-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the problem is indeed with the MAP sensor, then why blame the cam?

BTW, my Stealth II cam went 119.3 MPH at 3550 lbs this weekend. My Mom went with me and couldn't tell the car was cammed.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1CAMWNDR - This car I was referring to has Kooks 1.75in. headers into a 3in. y pipe that feeds into a 4 in. collector and then into a 4in. Borla XR1 race muffler dumped under the backseat. Both me and a buddy of mine with a cam both asked what cam he had after he started it up; and he said it was stock.