Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams Shaft mounted rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beavis5.3
Just curious, how much RPM are you guys seeing? Just trying to understand why you're hooked on shaft mounted rocker arms.

I had read on other posts in this area and the truck area that the Comp shaft mounts don't fit without serious modifications.

If you've ordered them and they won't fit, wny not just send them back and find something that does?
6600rpm shifts here and will be adding a procharger to the mix in the future or going big cubes. I want a rocker setup that won't take a **** on me in the process.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:39 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
Phil do you still got your rockers?
LOL, no I sent them back for a refund which I have not recieved.
Phillip
Old 11-12-2003, 10:42 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
You've got to be joking me, elongating the pushrod hole? WTF -- any chance you have pictures of this? Why does the hole have to be elongated?

Is it also true that shorter pushrods are needed as well?
1) You need pushrods that are .200 - .250 shorter due to a shorter cup height.
2) The holes need to be elongated to ensure the pushrods don't rub the cylinder heads by .090 - .150
Phillip
Old 11-12-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
1) You need pushrods that are .200 - .250 shorter due to a shorter cup height.
2) The holes need to be elongated to ensure the pushrods don't rub the cylinder heads by .090 - .150
Phillip
They need to have a disclaimer or something

Comp Cams

What a joke. I hope I can sell mine cause there is no way in hell I can use them now and I haven't even recieved the damn things yet.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
They need to have a disclaimer or something

Comp Cams

What a joke. I hope I can sell mine cause there is no way in hell I can use them now and I haven't even recieved the damn things yet.
Woohoo the place I bought the rocker arms from didn't get their shipment and comp told them that they are on backorder till late december. I am getting a refund on the purchase price and shipping

Way to go Comp Cams!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beavis5.3
Just curious, how much RPM are you guys seeing? Just trying to understand why you're hooked on shaft mounted rocker arms.

I just built this motor. I am running a fairly large cam. I'm waiting on a driveshaft right now so I haven't driven it much. Around 80 miles with the 10 bolt rearend. I changed to a 12 bolt and need a driveshaft. But in those 80 miles I have found that my fairly large cam does not start pulling good and strong until 5500 RPM. I expected this and that's why the shaft rocker system was selected. That and the fairly large diameter valve springs.

Phil: Sounds like they will finally make things right with you.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesel told me that only the passenger side cover needs some work where the oil fill baffle is located to install their shaft mounts. I have the Comp Pro Mags installed and they're very good quality at $499. The idea of aluminum rockers just doesn't sit well with me. Aluminum is too brittle for me. I'd rather steel even if it weighs more because of the higher spring required when you switch to a higher ratio rocker. Shaft mount is the way to go if you can afford it.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Another thing to consider when choosing between shaft mount rockers and stud mounts is how much spring pressure your running.

Most everyone is using a performance dual spring for LS-1 running in the mid to high 300's for open pressure. In this set-up, you can run an aluminum roller rocker and everything should be fine if the valve train is set up properly.

Where you want the shaft mounts is when you're running high spring loads so you can spread that pressure out over more surface area, and not pull studs out of the heads, an even bigger concern since all Ls-1 heads are aluminum.

As for aluminum being too brittle, that's hogwash. A good (repeat: GOOD) aluminum rocker arm will not be too brittle for an engine. If aluminum was too brittle for high performance engines, then companies like Crane, Jesel, Comp, T&D, etc., wouldn't use this alloy for their rockers. When a hard core prostock NHRA engine uses Jesel aluminum rockers arms against 1000+ spring loads, that pretty much means it will take the punishment of a street engine.

Using steel rocker arms just sucks horsepower form the engine, because you have a heavier mass to move using the energy of the motor. Then, you have to have a beefier spring to control that extra steel mass so the valve train doesn't run out of control. That's why hi-po engines use titanium valve spring retainers, to reduce valve train mass to make more horsepower. Same thing applies to rocker arms, lifters, pushrods, and valves.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

the only perpose of using these Sebastian, would be if you were going solid roller. otherwise, it's an awful big chunk of change to run those pretty red rockers where no-one can even see them.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams Shaft mounted rockers