Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

244/242 112 LSA .600 on stock engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people make fine numbers with a stock cam, the ls6 cam should do some good also - i have a stock engine guys...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not listen to predator z's advice, considering he has to be one of the top, if not THE top cam guru on this site or thw LS world. you have to understand what works for boost, not go along with what the masses agree is "right". valve events, overlap, etc. all come into play when slecting a cam. this is even more prevelant in a forced induction setup. choose parts which maximize your overall setup by meshing together, not parts at random.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Your cam is completely missmatched. It is bleeding most of the boost you are putting in.
For your size motor and psi you can run, look at 224/224 .581/.581 113 LSA, -2* overlap.
i think he just gave you an idea if not exactly what you need. I dont have one of his cams but people on this site often use his cam specs and swear by them.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, listen to predator-z. the end. Your combo is way screwed up right now.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More like your being a moron.. Why spend all this money in doing this **** and not listen to the people on here that know what they are talking about from experience. Quit being a dumbass and take advice from people.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSsick
why not listen to predator z's advice, considering he has to be one of the top, if not THE top cam guru on this site or thw LS world..
lowl.

anyways. an ls6 cam will certianly do ALOT better then what you have, BUT putting in a cam that OPTIMIZES the engine for your own combo will always perform better then just picking a random cam. theres alot more to cam selection then just picking one thats smaller then the next one, or the one you can get a sweet deal on. you could pick up 30 hp with the right cam over an ls6.

another thing is that you might want to switch to a set of manifolds over headers.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

I dont think many of you realize that I am on an extreme budget here guys, I cant afford to spend another penny... I know a z06 cam will work, maybe not as good as a cam designed for remote mount turbos, infact definatly not, but i am very limited on what i can get... the 2002 ls6 cam i can get for a good price, so why not get it?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Your cam is completely missmatched. It is bleeding most of the boost you are putting in.
For your size motor and psi you can run, look at 224/224 .581/.581 113 LSA, -2* overlap.
acually i have a 224/224 114 lsa... would this work?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

that 224 would probably work better then the ls6 cam, yes. and being on a budget can be tough sometimes. just work with what you have and make the most of all those parts. you'll be just fine. how much boost are you running? you can always sell those headers. i really dont have alot of expericance with the STS kits, but i think you'd be better off with a set of stock manifolds.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

another thing is, you should post in the FI forum where guys can offer you up more expericance. i will tell you that you want a cam with less than 0* of overlap, and the 224 definitly does the trick.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
why not listen to predator z's advice, considering he has to be one of the top, if not THE top cam guru on this site or thw LS world. you have to understand what works for boost, not go along with what the masses agree is "right". valve events, overlap, etc. all come into play when slecting a cam. this is even more prevelant in a forced induction setup. choose parts which maximize your overall setup by meshing together, not parts at random.
Thanks for the props but I am far from being "the best" here or yet alone the world.
I am just a gear head like a lot of us here and I may happen to just have a bit more experience (being 45YO) and an avid drag racer (budget permiting) in the LS scene.
Originally Posted by briamfromhawaii
acually i have a 224/224 114 lsa... would this work?
Yes it will work better than the LS6 cam, -4* overlap, it will have a tad less trq than the grind I gave you but is still better suited. If you have it, use it, you'll be glad you did.
Also with your exhaust, wrap the headers and all piping to the turbo with header tape, that will help alot in preventing heat from exhaust to discipate and keep better energy to spool the turbo at the back.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-11-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the props but I am far from being "the best" here or yet alone the world.
I am just a gear head like a lot of us here and I may happen to just have a bit more experience (being 45YO) and an avid drag racer (budget permiting) in the LS scene.

Yes it will work better than the LS6 cam, -4* overlap, it will have a tad less trq than the grind I gave you but is still better suited. If you have it, use it, you'll be glad you did.
Also with your exhaust, wrap the headers and all piping to the turbo with header tape, that will help alot in preventing heat from exhaust to discipate and keep better energy to spool the turbo at the back.
The only thing that isnt wrapped is the y pipe, all the rest is wrapped and the turbo has one of those nasa diapers on it lol
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAMMIT Mark... you didn't give me a chance to bust yer ballz..
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

forgot to ask - why would a longer lobe seperation reduce my torque? im not questioning it at all, im trying to learn.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
forgot to ask - why would a longer lobe seperation reduce my torque? im not questioning it at all, im trying to learn.
Sounds like you're starting to get on the right track. I'll let P-Z answer.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis
DAMMIT Mark... you didn't give me a chance to bust yer ballz..
LOL, too bad I'm not home, I prefer ballbusting at the track.
That is the only place that has a "true" ballbusting effect, no matter the methods or philosophies applied to get there.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

LOL, too bad I'm not home, I prefer ballbusting at the track. That is the only place that has a "true" ballbusting effect, no matter the methods or philosophies applied to get there.
No ****... it's just hard to justify it nowadays when the sanction bodies keep changing the rules to penalize the hard workers or when moody Tech Officials keep tearing down the fast guys!

I honestly don't miss heads up racing at all...
Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ed Curtis
No ****... it's just hard to justify it nowadays when the sanction bodies keep changing the rules to penalize the hard workers or when moody Tech Officials keep tearing down the fast guys!

I honestly don't miss heads up racing at all...
Ahhh, F****** pencil pushers.
Yeah that happened to me once, they had an option though, either take their stinking $5K and shove it where the sun don't shine or loose most of their fingers if they touched my motor. (not to mention I was banned from racing there), but I know I was legit and I knew who won. That was enough for my ego.