Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should I do?????
buy new bolt and oil pump
23.08%
reuse old high mileage oil pump
0%
drill out bolt and try to retap threads
23.08%
buy a gun and splatter my brains against the garage
53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

F-ck this motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I cant believe I didnt catch that either! I guess i was just like 106!? If thats what it says.....but whatever its all fixed now.

For the studs, ive got loctite, a little bit of 5w-20, and some 5w-30 synthetic. I take it the 5w-30 is going to be my best bet here?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you got it out. Don't feel bad, the first mod I did to my care requried a torque wrench so I went in and bought one. I wasn't even aware they made ft/lb vs in/lb. I thought they came in long handled vs. short handled.

Needless to say I was tipped off when I put my wheels on to 100 in/lb that something was bullshit since that is almost finger tight. (oops) Within the hour I had myself a long handled and short handled torque wrench
Old 06-18-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at all the good advice you got here for free on LS1Tech. I've been on this site for nearly 10 years and the help you receive here is invaluable. Always ask FIRST for help on this site before you make a mistake. You WILL get an answer. Someone has made your mistake in the past and it is posted here or you can do a search and find your answer in a matter of minutes. Working on cars requires a TON of experience and you will make mistake along the way, but you can learn from them and even prevent some of them because of the internet which didn't even exist when old school guys like me were in the learning process as you now are. Maybe there is a typo(ft/lbs instead of in/lbs) on the spec. Ask yourself if the value makes sense. If not STOP! What if your torque wrench doesn't click when it should at the value you set. Do you keep on turning until the bolt breaks off? HELL NO! Good hand tools are important too. Being organized and having a neat, clean workbench helps too. Keep asking for help when you need it AND offer help when you know how to solve a problem for someone because you've been down that road.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
LOL, I cant believe I didnt catch that either! I guess i was just like 106!? If thats what it says.....but whatever its all fixed now.

For the studs, ive got loctite, a little bit of 5w-20, and some 5w-30 synthetic. I take it the 5w-30 is going to be my best bet here?
If you can, try to get some of the ARP moly lube that should have come with the studs, use motor oil as last resort. Be sure to torque the nuts to what ARP recommends for oil, not the moly lube, those are gonna be two different torque specs. CMD high pressure lube is an excellent alternative for moly if you can't get it.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
Im going to start on the heads tomorrow morning. Ive got ARP studs and im wondering if i can use loctite instead of the arp moly assembly lube?

on ARP's website it says its ok.....#7
http://www.arp-bolts.com/FAQ/Answers.html
I used the ARP Lube.

Bill

Quick Reply: F-ck this motor