Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Opinions on COMP CAM

Old 11-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Professional Opinions on COMP CAM

Ok what's up guys, well I'm moving on to CAMs now and I have a cam in mind from my old boss who is the owner of Corvette Clinic in San Jose, CA. The CAM's specs are In.214, Ex.218, Lobe. 114, and the lift, I'm not sure of. But is this good for my car? I want something where I don't have to tune right away but has a good sound, and ect. This is coming with new springs for $450.00 What do you guys think? I'm pretty much stock, except for LT Headers, and MAF, Airlip, EGR, etc. Nothing major...so whatcha think...and installation...what do you suggest, I reall wanna save the money and do it myself.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

The cam is a little small but you will notice a little lope but not much b/c of the 114LSA, Are you an M6 or A4. There are some good writeups on cam installations but im not sure what sites they are on. You should check out thunder racing---> and look into one of their cam kits, which I believe they come with cam,springs, retainers, and pushrods, I would also look into purchasing a double roller timing chain and possible a different oil pump. Good Luck man

WeS
Old 11-11-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As onebad has said , it is small a small cam wish I had gone bigger myself , if its an A4 you will probable get away with no tuning , With a M6 i would go with a bigger cam. What springs are u gettin, I think he needs to give you a better price than that for a cam and springs, bought mine a while back new cam and springs for 400.00 shipped.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its pretty mild and you should have minimal tuning issues. thing about a cam is though, if you want to do it once then look at the overall picture of your goals.

if you dont plan on many other bolt ons that came will be fine, should give you great low end to mid range power and have a bit of lope to it. that'll be great if your an a4 and should still be good on the stock TC.

if you plan for some serious mods or plan to take your car to the track alot then consider something bigger. i think the TR 224 .563/.563 on the 112 is perfect for an m6 and go with the 114 if you have an a4. this is probably the best middle range cam out there, makes great power stock and if you plan on added ported heads it'll work great there too.

you already have LT's so i say get a cam that will allow you to use them to there ability. its too bad you missed out on thunders cam and valvetrain sale last month, it was killer. i'd suggest a 220-224 range cam, springs of your choice, tit. retainers, and hardened pushrods.

i did my own installation and depending on what year you have and how many miles i suggest doing some other mods as well. when doing a cam swap alot of **** comes off so its easier to replace it then, then at a later time. i installed my cam and full valvetrain, ls6 intake, timing chain, oil pump, and pulley.

if you have a high mileage car i'd suggest a new timing chain and oil pump. i got my rollmaster double and ported ls6 oil pump for 200. plus i suggest getting the basic bolt and gasket kit from TSP, it'll come with all theb basic gaskets you need and also a new crank bolt. you'll need a 3 arm pulley puller and a valve spring tool. you can get the pulley puller from autozone, i bought mine for like 20 bucks and larry is selling some pretty good vavle springs tools in the tools forum, might wanna check that out.

heres the cam installation i followed, its excellent and also lists the parts you need that i didnt mention. good luck

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 11-11-2003, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloSS
Ok what's up guys, well I'm moving on to CAMs now and I have a cam in mind from my old boss who is the owner of Corvette Clinic in San Jose, CA. The CAM's specs are In.214, Ex.218, Lobe. 114, and the lift, I'm not sure of. But is this good for my car? I want something where I don't have to tune right away but has a good sound, and ect. This is coming with new springs for $450.00 What do you guys think? I'm pretty much stock, except for LT Headers, and MAF, Airlip, EGR, etc. Nothing major...so whatcha think...and installation...what do you suggest, I reall wanna save the money and do it myself.

You might be better off with an LS6 cam from GM and 918 springs from Comp. That should be under $450 and maybe give you more of what you want, but not much lope. However, you really should upgrade the pushrods for about $120 for whatever cam you choose. FWIW, beehive springs (like stock or 918s) use a tiny retainer, so you don't save much weight with titanium vs. stock steel, but you spend a lot more.

My $.02
Old 11-11-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to run a cam that size, there is a Comp 216/220 .525/.532 114 in the classifieds right now for $150. You can run 02 LS6 springs with that cam for $88 from SDPC ------------->
and spend a whole lot less money and have a slightly bigger cam than you are currently looking at. I ran a 12.07/113mph with a Comp 216/220 in a 3700 lb car. It has a lot of mid range tq and pulls pretty good to 6300 where I was shifting.

And do the install yourself.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Cool guys...Yes I have a M6...and I have about 72,000 miles on it...But I didn't buy the CAM yesterday, and I'm glad because after reading your guys post, I would be slapping myself in the face. I actually bought a new clutch off a 01 Z06 with a new flywheel for $150 from my old boss. But the CAM will be next. Any links to sites where there are good deals? My boss' best deal for a In: 218/ Ex: 218 Lobe 114 is $440, Push Rods, 150, Titanium springs $155, and Retainers $150, I don't know about that one though...any links? thanks
Old 11-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

How do you guys in Cali get 111 and 112 LSAs to pass the smog tests?
Old 11-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cam your boss is selling is just too small; your headers aren't working to their potential with that one. If you have to pass emissions, look for a deal on a TR224 114. If no smog testing, get a TR230 or similar. You also might want to consider a Hot Cam if you need the best price.

Search this Thread