Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gaskets inverted; what it will do??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Head gaskets inverted; what it will do??

ok, its a crazy question, but we think that the head gaskets could have been inverted on my friend's 331ci 5.0l based fox...

The engine is running hot(as high as 3/4 the gage;220-240+-), when he went WOT a small coolant hose blew. Later back home, a big one blew!!..

I know its not an LS1, but I know some stang owners and LS1tech members are full of knowledge!!
any input would be nice.

One shop is saying that the gaskets were inverted and the guy who did the install is saying its not...
Head gaskets were brand new.

The pushrods are brown-colored now too!!

any idead what it is??
Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Number one... Tell your friend to stop driving the car. Your really risking serious damage. Number two... Pull the heads and check for the coolant passages lining up. Passages on the head must line up with the passages in the block.

Sounds like flow may be restricted or outright blocked. There's a few threads on here that had the same problem. The answer was either defected or wrong head gaskets blocking coolant. Good Luck.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

thanks man. the car is parked and was sent to someone( I should really work for my friends as a mechanic!!) so the car is parked, but it was driven for a good 200miles this way(had to get back home..so babied all the way but still stupid)!!

We couldnt see the gaskets before they were removed...too bad

But with the passages blocked, that would create a sucking effect that could cause the hose to implode right?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would agree that the coolant passages were likely misaligned. This can cause pressure to build and may be why hoses were coming off. Not sure who is removing but you need to verify the originally installed position.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
thanks man. the car is parked and was sent to someone( I should really work for my friends as a mechanic!!) so the car is parked, but it was driven for a good 200miles this way(had to get back home..so babied all the way but still stupid)!!

We couldnt see the gaskets before they were removed...too bad

But with the passages blocked, that would create a sucking effect that could cause the hose to implode right?
you cant work for your friends as a mechanic. unless you like doing the job for free or for a very low cost, and then your friendship could be at stake if you make a mistake.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by elias_799
you cant work for your friends as a mechanic. unless you like doing the job for free or for a very low cost, and then your friendship could be at stake if you make a mistake.
true, thats why I never did it. But I'm tired of seeing him getting ripped off man!!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

It appears that the friend admitted to another mechanic that he did inverted one gasket but he doesnt want to admit it to the car's owner...the guys are friend and the owner dont care about him making mistakes(**** happens), he just wants to know what happenned!