Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Stage 2 LS6 & X1 clearance problems! Pro's inside please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
Thanks for the input but I have absolutely no idea how to do the clay thing. And I really have NO resources or tools to do any fly cutting of the pistons.

Right now the idea is to make one pass on this motor in May. after that rip it out and go big bore and do it the right way from the start.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
John,
Thanks for the input but I have absolutely no idea how to do the clay thing. And I really have NO resources or tools to do any fly cutting of the pistons.

Right now the idea is to make one pass on this motor in May. after that rip it out and go big bore and do it the right way from the start.
I can't remember where, but I believe you can rent the Isky fly cutting tool. It fits in where a valve would go and you bolt your head on and use a drill attached to it. It doesn't seem all that hard, but maybe someone else can chime in with more info about it.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

use the smaller pushrods if that is a choice...
Old 11-17-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

wouldnt running a shorter rod have an adverse effect on how far the valve opens? I know it might be the lesser of 2 evils but what would the downside be?
Old 11-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Banned

NataSS,

You have a couple of options here, the fly cutting tool from Isky is the best one if you don't want to change your setup. If you were not in Wa i'd probably roll over to your house and help you out with this one.

The Isky tool is very simple and if you are very **** and clean the hole deal will take you some time but will work out awesome.

A shorter pushrod will not cure this problem. It's just going to screw up your valve train geometry, DO NOT DO THIS!

Checking P to V with a dial indicator is a good way to go, but you need to know where the piston is going to be closest to the valve to do that. With some math you can do it, but the clay is a much easier way for the average Joe to do this.

Since the X1 is a 230 duration cam, with a low ICL (around 108) you are going to have a P/V clearance problem. It's just barely better as far as clearance goes compared to the G5X2 cam.

Checking P to V on any motor is a very good idea when things are this close. I've had smaller cams become a much bigger problem and needed the motor dissasmbled because the custom forged pistons were not made with enough valve relief even thought the company was specifically told how deep to cut the reliefs. Guess what they were not that deep.

Bret
Old 11-17-2003, 02:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

put #1 at TDC. Put a small piece of clay on the top of your piston. Bolt your head down, not tight but snug with a few bolts. TQ your rockers to 22 ft lbs on that cyl. Pull the head back off. Take a micrometer and measure the indention in the clay. Thats checking PV with clay
I would actually recommend one modification to this process. Pull out the lifter and rework it (pull the retainer and spring) into a solid lifter (add washers as shims under the pushrod cup) to ensure that the hydraulic action of the lifter doesn't absorb the force of the clay or piston pushing back on it.

I'd be happy to come up and help, however, I am swapped with activities right now and still trying to get my own motor back together so maybe you can lean on Ryan, Ellis or maybe a few of the other LT1 local boys that understand this stuff.

Right now the idea is to make one pass on this motor in May.
This is my exact concern...if it's not together right, there won't be a "one pass"....at least not a winning one pass.

If you can't find the help, get a hold of a local shop and just drop the car off to have this done. I'm sure a few of the ZO6 & C5 boys that "don't want to get their hands dirty" could recommend a good local shop.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could I use a dremel tool to just SLIGHTLY buff out the affected area and give it a hair more clearence? Since the valve has already left a mark basically showing me how much space it needs, would it be possible to do that?
Old 11-17-2003, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can the pistons be flycut with the motor in the car?
Old 11-17-2003, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im pretty sure that is the whole point of the isky tool...
Old 11-17-2003, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At first I figured that it was floating an exausht valve that caused the issue. BUT since the car has a rev limiter that was programmed by MTI wouldnt that keep the valves from floating?
I notice you have an M6. The rev limiter can't protect against mechanical overrev caused by a missed shift.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gary Z
I notice you have an M6. The rev limiter can't protect against mechanical overrev caused by a missed shift.

so could this have caused the valves to hit the pistons?
Old 11-17-2003, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
so could this have caused the valves to hit the pistons?
Oh yes. If you are in 3rd and go to red line and accidentally hit second gear and let out on the clutch and mechanically overrev the motor you WILL hit your pistons, especially with hardened pushrods. If you did it with stock material pushrods they may have bent before you hit the pistons. But oh yes you can sure smack the pistons on a mechanical over rev as described above.

My youngest brother did the same on his SS and bent all the valves in his heads. We filed down the eyelash marks as best as we could and put new heads on. That was 40,000 miles ago and it still runs strong.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have missed a shift but only going up. I have NEVER pulled 2nd instead of 4th. So I guess that couldnt have caused it.