Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into the Streetsweeper and the Hellion cam from New Era

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
all headers will unless you get stainless...you really cant beat the ebay headers for the price and being SS...are the ARH, QTP, or Kooks no but they are 1/3 the price...
I plan on just pulling mine out have having them re-coated or something if they start to look like crap. But then again I can pull my headers out in little over an hour and ARP header studs make it really easy to put them back in.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya you dont need a big cam at all to do what you want. Check out my signature link for a pure budget setup.
Stainless Steel Ebay headers: $180
Cutout: $30
243 heads + milling to 62cc: $450
You know the price on the rest of the stuff like LS6 intake and custom cam with supporting springs. My setup is easy on springs and is my daily driver. I get great mileage and shift at 1500rpm just like stock. I lost no power anywhere and did this all cheap.

Just listen to my idle video with the cutout open and take a guess at what size my cam is without looking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8s0ovoQDU
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good contributions and ideas.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a street car, I 100% agree with Johny. Though I love my cam (242/248), it does get annoying sometimes when trying to cruise slow with all the low end bucking and surging. Gas mileage isn't the best either..but this build wasn't for that. My build was for a powerful street/strip build, budget oriented. If I change my set up though, you better believe I will get a smaller custom grind from Ed (he had one for me, but I had grind this one instead), port and mill my heads, and I for sure will be changing the intake mani. But my opinion and reasoning behind my build is...cruising around 2k rpms (gears really help), it drives fine. I wanted the power up top, since when I race, I shift high, and it stays in the powerband. Though I miss the low end, "fun" street torque I could be having with a TR224/224 cam, when I hit that 3500 rpms, it just pulls hard, and is intoxicating. Though...If I had tons of bottom end torque, I could see myself getting in more trouble since I don't have to spin high to get the power, and aleart every cop within half a mile to my pressence lol.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

AznMuscle that cam is insane huge does it peak at 7000 rpm? Can I see a dyno chart to see what you put down with 243 heads and LS6 intake. I couldn't imagine driving a cam that big.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, that is a gigantic cam. and i thought mine was large at 236 intake duration. lol.
The bucking\surging is what would drive me nuts about a cam like yours. I dont have any of that with mine. The only time i will get any is if i try and drive down the street doing 40mph in 6th gear, with the rpms stupid low. However, i have to intentionally do that since it isnt normal to shift like that.

I would go smaller than what i have, simply because i dont hit the track, and i rarely wind it out to 6500rpms.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

No dyno yet...street tuned for now. I am going to try to set something up for Saturday to finish up the dyno. The tuner got it good though..holds idle at 900, and as long as I drive it like its cammed (no 1200 rpm cruising), its fine. Highway driving, A/C full blast, 2k rpms is fine. Just shifting at 2500 rpms or so, and no issues. Peak should go out a lil past 7k (I know, I need a FAST for that kind of rpms).
Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey sweet, I didnt notice your form SYC. That changes things, you don't have to worry about the bucking an surging. You can have the car tuned right at newera and it will run great. I just mike lower my idle to 850, I wanted it to "chop" a little more and so far its great. It even runs a little better, I said about a little thing it might do some times. (clutch in/ under 45mph after crusing @ 2,200-2,500 The rpms sat there for like 5secs) And he fixed that. It hard to know what cam you want just looking at some sound clicks online, There is a bunch of locals with the streetsweeper cam I was impressed with, that help me chose. If your every out here, let me know and you can check my car out and see what you think.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Being a local to Johnny and New Era, I can also say that I have seen some impressive results with the Streetsweeper cam. I convinced a good friend of mine to put that cam in his new motor and it's going in at New Era right now.

Although Johnny has some weight reduction, his car is a good example of how that cam can perform with the right tuning. 123mph traps with stock heads on a LS6 intake....and through a full 3" catback exhaust all the way to the bumper (no cutout).

Jason
Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Studderin, thanks for the info, I plan on stopping out sometime, you going to have your car at the Nationals? If so where will it be? I can stop by. I live about 5 minutes from the fair. I have heard your videos but its normally better to hear in person. I actually just changed my sign from NY to syracuse so people would know where I am from.

JohnnyGTO, I was also debating the a magnacharger. Thanks for all that great info, I am going to see what I can find used, if its a good deal I will get it, thats what I did with my car, its like brand new, 67k, one owner, $9000. I have been looking since I sold my last one 6 years ago. I work on my cars alot, have a compressor, air tools, big full craftsman 30 drawer. I can probably do the headers and intake my self, never attempted a cam before and not sure if I want to. The car is going to sit in my garage for the winter so I am sure I will be out there working on it all winter. I plan on lowering it and putting new shocks. Not sure when i will do the headers, intake and cam, just getting an idea of what I want.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

well Sweet, if you can do that stuff you can do a maggie install. If a maggie is int eh budget, i would go that route. the TVS 1900 and TVS2300 are kick *** blowers. If i coulddo it all over, i would have held out for a while and bought the TVS blowers. Not sure i could have stayed stock for 2-3 years, but hey i can dream, right?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh ay the SYC nats are comming up. I might go to that, my buddy that sent to RIT was saying I should come out with some other guys and stay at his place. And ... and....j ust last weekend. New Era put a streetsweeper in his Z06, put down 435whp I belive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ-o4_WySIA

You can check out his car maybe, I'll ask him about it. I think its called slaivay outside the city?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. Solvay, about 10 minutes from the fair and where i live. he is on one side of the fair, I am on the other.

Not sure about the maggie, kinda pricey and I have always wanted a good lope, but I would love all that power, but I would miss the lope of a cam.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

you can have a maggie and lope.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey sweet, been away from the boards for a couple of weeks, everyone in this post is mostly right about their opinions..its about what exactly what YOU want..check out my sig, i am very happy with the SS cam, the one in your original post is the smaller torque one I believe..BTW converter was unlocked on the dyno which means locked is alot more power, you can search and see my dyno thread etc...good luck
Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OH ya .. Buy a LS6 intake, you will be fine with that..Its a proven intake..especially for what you want, i've seen them cheap on the parts for sale section..

Quick Reply: Looking into the Streetsweeper and the Hellion cam from New Era