Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hp can i get??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro ss 2001

I've 2001 CAMARO SS,im wondering how much HP will I get if I put bolt-on in it??
-Ceramic Headers and Y-Pipe
-UD Pulley
-MSD wires,ingtion controller and coil's
-FAST Intake
-FAST Thorttle body
-Cam
-Injectors (dont know which size)
-Programming
Ok, to make the max hp I would run one of the following:
Headers: Qtp, Kooks, Mac Mid Lengths
Y-pipe: I would run cat less if you dont have emmisons. If you have emissions I would run a cut out off of a catted Y pipe and that will solve the emissions issue, while still providing at the track with good performance.
Camshaft: Here is were it gets tricky, max hp people love big cams. Big cams arent always the most streetable cam. So, I would call around and talk with different camshaft companies. Texas Speed, Thunder Racing, Comp Cams, Etc.
Heads: you have a 2001 so you have the 241 heads which is a good stock head. And, since you didnt mention heads I wont worry about them.
Intake: Since you are a 2001 you will have the LS6 intake which is a good intake IMO. I would upgrade to the FAST 92/92 Combo.
Injectors:You should be fine with stock injectors, if you were going to upgrade I would do 42lb injectors till you figure out what direction you want to go with your motor.
Tuning:THE MOST IMPORTANT thing out of all. Make sure you can find a good tuner that will explain to you what he is doing and will work with you on helping you upgrade your car correctly and safe.
MAX Horse Power: JUST ADD NITROUS!!! HSW Sudden Impact Kit is 422 Shipped and will give you up to 150 shot jets. That would be my first mod if I was you and wanted MAX HP!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssZL402
bolt ons arent worth the money unless you dont care how your car turns out. save your pennies and build a motor its cheaper in the end and will make way more power than bolt ons ever could. and by the way the ls1 stock ignition has been proven to 800hp so dont waste money on msd the coil packs alone are $500
WTF!!!!! NA you barely make more peak. Yeah you got a better curve but how in the hell does it save money in the long run? It doesn't matter if he puts bolt ons now or later it's be the same price... I'm sorry head gaskets and bolts if he uses stock head bolts.... Yeah I'm forged now but I have plans for big nitrous and I don't have dyno numbers but my stock short block with stock heads and a little smaller cam than I have right now put out 439whp I doubt a stroker will do more than that with stock heads...
Old 07-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Y-pipe: I would run cat less if you dont have emmisons. If you have emissions I would run a cut out off of a catted Y pipe and that will solve the emissions issue, while still providing at the track with good performance.
Camshaft: Here is were it gets tricky, max hp people love big cams. Big cams arent always the most streetable cam. So, I would call around and talk with different camshaft companies. Texas Speed, Thunder Racing, Comp Cams, Etc.
Heads: you have a 2001 so you have the 241 heads which is a good stock head. And, since you didnt mention heads I wont worry about them.
Intake: Since you are a 2001 you will have the LS6 intake which is a good intake IMO. I would upgrade to the FAST 92/92 Combo.
Injectors:You should be fine with stock injectors, if you were going to upgrade I would do 42lb injectors till you figure out what direction you want to go with your motor.
Tuning:THE MOST IMPORTANT thing out of all. Make sure you can find a good tuner that will explain to you what he is doing and will work with you on helping you upgrade your car correctly and safe.
MAX Horse Power: JUST ADD NITROUS!!! HSW Sudden Impact Kit is 422 Shipped and will give you up to 150 shot jets. That would be my first mod if I was you and wanted MAX HP!!!

I agree except headers, if no emissions just go long tubes and a x pipe I would go with Texas speed headers they are very good headers and cheap and they have a x pipe that will fit just bolt on no customizing but besides that i think it looks good
Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ms4z28
WTF!!!!! NA you barely make more peak. Yeah you got a better curve but how in the hell does it save money in the long run? It doesn't matter if he puts bolt ons now or later it's be the same price... I'm sorry head gaskets and bolts if he uses stock head bolts.... Yeah I'm forged now but I have plans for big nitrous and I don't have dyno numbers but my stock short block with stock heads and a little smaller cam than I have right now put out 439whp I doubt a stroker will do more than that with stock heads...
Huh... Bro, you add Nothing to this thread... How do you even justify this comment?!?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

so what about the fast 90? would you really feel a sotp difference between a 90,92 or 100mm intake even with larger cubes and/or heavily modified?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1n00b
so what about the fast 90? would you really feel a sotp difference between a 90,92 or 100mm intake even with larger cubes and/or heavily modified?
Yes on a heavy modifed engine, switching an inatke setup is worth your time. But to justify a 1,100 dollar intake and throttle body for 15-30 is to each there own. I ran a Fast 90/90 Ported on my 408 and had great luck with it.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bolt-ons got my 3800 lb led sled to 12.1 with everything and the kitchen sink in it. The numbers are down there but I think it has about 365 RWHP now and can hit 11's. I have the stuff for the next round sitting in the LR just like where you are going. Here it is:

- FAST 92 with 95mm TB
- Stage 2 LS6 heads
- 224/228 Comp Cam
- 42 lb Ford Motorsport injectors

I'm looking for 425 + RWHP out of it. But you need the bolt-ons first! Bottom 11's should be there
Old 07-18-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Sweet Setup Man and Great Times!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssZL402
not a bad choice i have one in 00 ss and it makes 480rwhp n/a but i put some money into it
I think so but still im confused what 2 do,thanx
Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
You could be somewhere from 400-425rwhp with a good cam and the FAST. With a good set of heads you could be anywhere from 450-480rwhp depending on the combo.

As for injectors, I'd go with 36lb or 42lb, those should hold fine, and the 42lbs will give you some leeway for future mods or even nitrous.

Don't buy the MSD coils or ignition, kind of wasting money there, as the stock units are very good, but some MSD wires won't hurt as well as some NGK TR55 plugs.

A good tune is VERY necessary.

Your stock clutch won't hold that power for long so yes I would be looking into another clutch. Some like the LS7 clutches, but they're heavy. Monster, RAM, and SPEC are some possibilites, and a lightweight flywheel will free up some hp as well.

As for ring & pinion and the alum DS, the stockers will be fine as well. Hope this helps.

You can net big power for less money than building and swapping an LS2, so just figure out what would suit you the best, and pick a nice matched combo. You don't always have to go with the biggest cam and the highest flowing heads. A properly setup combo will outperform some of the "donkey dick" cam combos.

"donkey dick" cam combos.

thanx 4 ur comment bro,the problem is im confused whatever to buy ls2 or ls3 engine or just modify the same ls1 engine cauz we all know that ls1 block has its limition maybe it will break/crack after 800hp?!!

Once i had SPEC clutch but the fools in the garage didnt install it correctly then it eaten out!! so I replaced it with stock clutch

I'll try to go with 42lb for future mods

Thanx agian
Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

What Size FAST are you going to use and throttle body 90, 92 or 102? And we need to know your Cam Specs.
Im thinking of FAST 92/92 but im sure if 102 fet my car?!! & the CAM I dont know what to choose
Old 07-20-2009, 03:12 AM
On The Tree

When I called FAST, they told me you could have the 102 mm LSXR Intake built for Cathedrial Heads. But that you would have to call and order it.
That's usefull info
Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tatasta
Amazing. This thread started bad and got worse.

To the OP, just read and read. There is no better way to learn. You can, and will, waste alot of money thinking the way you are.... Seriously, read info by people who know their ****.
I'll do what u told im actually Im doing all the time but some time u cant find what u looking for that's why u ask,thanx
Old 07-20-2009, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
^^^ I agree, this guy is asking for help/recommendations and people are yelling at each other like usual.
Also to the Original Poster, check out the stickies and threads on here like tatasta said. I have spend alot of time on here just browsing aroung the forum, learned all about the motor, chassis, etc.. You can build alot of power with these cars but you will need to replace the entire drivetrain if you are going to break the 450-500+whp barrier in my opinion for sure. Especially with a 6speed, the rear end doesn't last, so on and so forth. Keep your options open for the vehicle. Put some consideration into what you want to do though, take your time. Good luck bro
Thanx bro,im thankfull to all who comment in my post and give good advice,thanx 4 time and help

As u said the rear end should be changed if I want to exceed 500whp
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

LS1 block is very strong and a lot of plp are going FI with em and never heard of LS1 block having issues. Just replace the LS1 block when your engine will blow up! No need to go stroker right away, unless you want to get 500rwhp N/A first time out and you have dough burning in your pocket.

A proven H/C combo from any sponsor here will give you a nice SOTP upgrade over your sotkc LS1. And boltons are the first thing to do by the way. If you go y pipe, go catless and cutout, its good for +-10rwhp with H/C.

By the way, buy some nice heads wayyyy before FAST intake(same price and better gains!). FAST should be the last bolt on IMO.

..and read the stickies!!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro ss 2001
Im thinking of FAST 92/92 but im sure if 102 fet my car?!! & the CAM I dont know what to choose
102mm is way too much overkill on a street 347!!

For the right cam, you really have to read a long time. some plp are all about small street cam with nice powerband like 224-228 cams, while some plp are go big or go home style..I can say that my little TR224 cam is doing a nice job, but I cant wait to go bigger, like 234-238 cam

Its all about your needs, driving style and car purpose(track/street/DD/weekend warrior..) plus the gear you chose will affect the cam manners. And you must have a good tune
Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

tHANK U 4 ALL THE COMMENT/ADVICE/HELP U DID POST,I APPERCITED

Im really sorry to tell u late that my engine its replaced before i purchase it,now it has 1997 ls1 engine,i think its written 853 on heads,so it dont have ls6 intake and the there's no emission wire from the intake?!! maybe the guy i buy the car from has take it out!

I think now the mods which I've to put will be between 1997-1998 ls1 parts right?? If u need engine pics just tell me
Old 07-20-2009, 03:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ms4z28
I agree except headers, if no emissions just go long tubes and a x pipe I would go with Texas speed headers they are very good headers and cheap and they have a x pipe that will fit just bolt on no customizing but besides that i think it looks good
Im not sure about the emission thing! cauz I see the engine there's no hose from the intake to the manifold?!! maybe it taken out (we all know that all models have emission hose right??)

why x-pipe?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Just bolt-ons got my 3800 lb led sled to 12.1 with everything and the kitchen sink in it. The numbers are down there but I think it has about 365 RWHP now and can hit 11's. I have the stuff for the next round sitting in the LR just like where you are going. Here it is:

- FAST 92 with 95mm TB
- Stage 2 LS6 heads
- 224/228 Comp Cam
- 42 lb Ford Motorsport injectors

I'm looking for 425 + RWHP out of it. But you need the bolt-ons first! Bottom 11's should be there
THANX 4 sharing info bro
Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
LS1 block is very strong and a lot of plp are going FI with em and never heard of LS1 block having issues. Just replace the LS1 block when your engine will blow up! No need to go stroker right away, unless you want to get 500rwhp N/A first time out and you have dough burning in your pocket.

A proven H/C combo from any sponsor here will give you a nice SOTP upgrade over your sotkc LS1. And boltons are the first thing to do by the way. If you go y pipe, go catless and cutout, its good for +-10rwhp with H/C.

By the way, buy some nice heads wayyyy before FAST intake(same price and better gains!). FAST should be the last bolt on IMO.

..and read the stickies!!

this the real matter,if the block can handle max hp so i dont need 2 replace it

so ur saying that H/C should go along with good intake right??

So if strokerd with bolt-on it give nice and max numbers? I thinking to start with bplt-ons at the moment