Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is everyones take on the AFR heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is everyones take on the AFR heads?

Is it widely thought that they are going to vastly outshine ported "Stage 2" heads from MTI, GTP, AS, PP, etc? Or be marginally better, not enough to justify the cost, or will they be no better or even worse? What seems to be the consensus on these?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consensus is we don't know yet
Old 11-17-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time will tell . Unless the LSX saves us, better flowing heads are gonna be limited by our LS6 intakes, too
Old 11-17-2003, 05:49 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

AFR is not god's gift to cylinder heads. Everybody is just getting their panties wet because it's a new well known vendor coming out with an LS1 cylinder head option.

AFR's are "OK". I had a set on my LT1's, they flowed well but GTP at the time was offering a much better flowing cylinder head. I think the heads will be another somewhat affordable option with comparible performance, but judging from what I usually see with AFR's stuff it's not going to be anything out of the ordinary that Craig @ GTP or TEA couldn't do.

JMO of course, from what I have seen in the past.

Josh
Old 11-17-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that said it very well, imho. vic
Old 11-17-2003, 05:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We just have to wait and see.AFR's kicked *** on the 5.0 Stang heads.Did so-so on the LT1 Heads.
From talking to AFR they think they have them pegged for power production.Expecially low end torque production and have tested them against big name Stage 2 ported heads.Everybody has got to remember that Flow #'s do not mean everything.Most of the ported Heads out there could support 700hp motors but the rest of our setup doesn't.So maybe lower flow #'s and higher velocity might make more power on our setups?
I'll hopefully be testing some early release AFR's soon.That will give me the answers needed.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Well have to see some results. I for one will be pissed if they outperform the current ported heads by a good amount because I will have wasted many $'s for nothing.
On the other hand the more power the better so I cant wait to start seeing some of the dynos of ls1's with these heads on them.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Only time will tell . Unless the LSX saves us, better flowing heads are gonna be limited by our LS6 intakes, too

Until there is a proven intake, it's going to be hard to realize the potential of the great heads we have now.. much less something that claims to be better. I'm seriously thinking about sticking a 6.0 iron block with a TSP231/237 cam, PP LS6 style heads and the new Edelbrock (that's been ported for the heads) carb'd intake into my 86 firebird that's currently running a mild 406 and a TH350.. that would rule out the "restrictive intake" variable.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i have a set of 195cc on my 406 irocz. out of all the other 23 degree heads for that style small block their the best. brodix are good also but my medium sized 195 runner flows pretty much what the brodix track 1 flows with its bigger 215cc runner. I honestly though dont think they'll will that much better than mti, gtp, ab, tea, pp, jpr..etc. but i could be very wrong which would be good since im still deciding on which ones to get.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

if they flow the same as the current heads I would think they would be a much better option than anything available now just because of the deck thickness.

No more lifting heads for the hi horse power guys.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,139 Likes on 740 Posts

Mike K. how can you say that, our community has been playing with LS1 stuff since late fall 1997.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens, between folks porting raw castings and folks flowing their ported versions.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw the head at SEMA and as with any of Rick's stuff it will be a quality piece. One thing about aftermarket castings is that wall thickness is usually greatly increased and this will translate to these castings be able to be highly modifed for all forms of performance. I know of one LS1 project that will be a twin roots style blower set up in a front engine dragster.

Cstraub
Old 11-17-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I like the looks of the 205cc heads. High flow numbers with small runners should be awsome. My heads dont flow nearly as much as some of the sponsors but with mild bowl work 2.02 int valves and stock exh. valves , my car has a lot of down low tq which never realy stops pulling up to 6500 rpms with just the c1 cam. I am even running mac headers and my dyno graph next to JSears with gtp st2 heads and the tr230 cam I had him by nearly 20 lbs of tq up to 4500 rpms and then he started to pull away and he has flp long tubes.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Mike K. how can you say that, our community has been playing with LS1 stuff since late fall 1997.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens, between folks porting raw castings and folks flowing their ported versions.

Well I know you have to pay to play,,, but lets say these heads really do average 20+ rwhp more than the average ported ls6 head which if I am thinking right is what they advertised. That would mean that I need new heads hahaha and I really dont feel like buying another 2 thousand dollar set of heads. I guess I'm just poor

Don't get me wrong I am stoked about all the stuff happening with the ls1 now.
Elec water pumps, new intakes, and even these heads I will just feel bad about having recently sunk money into my current heads which if the afr's turn out good will render them somewhat worthless.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They appeal to me for the reason stated earlier, I don't really care if they flow only marginally better than a ported stocker. I want them for the thick decks to help with head gasket sealing under boost.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More power is better. I hope they kick ***...and this is coming from someone who paid alot for LS6 and C5R heads. But, I have no crystal ball so I'll not get my hopes up until I see the dyno numbers.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All- FYI, I was looking around on AFR's site the other day and found that the 205 cc small Ford heads flow about what the 205 cc AFR LS1 head flows (on the intake side, at least... I honestly can't remember the exhaust). Those heads seem to be working well for the Ford boys, so I can't think of any reason (aside from that whole intake issue) that the AFR LS1 heads wouldn't work like a champ as well.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I look foward to seeing what the end results of the AFR heads from Tony M. produce when they are installed and dyno'd with a 224/224 .570 114lsa cam and headers.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think tony's head will be the real deal.With his radically reworked
short turn radius and good flow numbers at low port volumes,plus
ying yang yates style double quench chamber we will see significant
gains especially under the curve.Our heads are 15 degrees fords are not
we will make more power with equal combinations.With a free flowing
intake and the 225 cc afr heads you would have a very potent combo
on a big inch motor.Any of our sponsors who port our heads will be able to pull
some more air out this casting with all the material in it to work with.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think it's going to be a bunch of smoke, just like everything else they offer. I am a dealer of AFR heads and I have seen everything they do. Best I can say is it is OK, they don't flow what they are advertised to on the intake side. AFR just has the magazine help so people think they are good when in fact I have never seen an afr head that I would run on anything of mine. It wouldn't suprise me if the heads didn't flow 290cfm on the intake. But hey maybe they will produce something good this time. Only time will tell.