Sponsored by:

Titanium Retainers

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Titanium Retainers

Hi All,

I got this set of retainers (new in the package) off E-Bay thinking they'd fit an LS-1 beehive spring, but the "step" is too large in diameter. The step on these is 0.873" and needs to be 0.625". So far, I haven't been able to come up with a spring that works.

Can anyone find a spring that will work with these?

How hard would it be to turn that step down to 0.625"?

What kind of tooling would be needed to machine TI?

Thanks!

Russ
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hi All,

I got this set of retainers (new in the package) off E-Bay thinking they'd fit an LS-1 beehive spring, but the "step" is too large in diameter. The step on these is 0.873" and needs to be 0.625". So far, I haven't been able to come up with a spring that works.

Can anyone find a spring that will work with these?

How hard would it be to turn that step down to 0.625"?

What kind of tooling would be needed to machine TI?

Thanks!

Russ
Once Ti is melted and hardened you might as well just buy new retainers. The cost of paying some one to machine, because you DO NOT want to machine Ti yourself is going to be more than if you just bought the correct retainers with the corresponding springs.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe it or not, you wouldn't have much trouble machining that Ebay titainium, not that it would be worth it. There are many alloys of titainium, some are harder than others. Your best bet is to see what springs they were meant for if you are dead set on using them. I have 5 different spring manufacturers at my disposal. Give me a call or shoot me a PM, I will see if there is a spring that will meet your requirements or let you know if you should just sell them and start over.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They are also 10 degree retainers and you will need new locks as well.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Are ya'll even looking at the link??? These are LUNATI pieces, new in the package, not chinese e-bay junk, and the link clearly states they fit 8mm valve stems and use stock LS-1 keepers. Apparently the seller had the same problem, thinking they would be a direct replacement. I got them for a good price and would like to use them, either with the proper spring or by machining them to the proper size.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I tried looking at the link and got a security warning so I figured it wasn't legit. Don't want any viruses here...

Shane
Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Are ya'll even looking at the link??? These are LUNATI pieces, new in the package, not chinese e-bay junk, and the link clearly states they fit 8mm valve stems and use stock LS-1 keepers. Apparently the seller had the same problem, thinking they would be a direct replacement. I got them for a good price and would like to use them, either with the proper spring or by machining them to the proper size.
Yes, I looked at the link and at the top it states:

10-Degree Titanium Retainers - 1.115 Qty 16

Since the LS1 has used 7 degree locks from the factory as long as I have known, Lunati should fix their advertisement!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
Sorry, I tried looking at the link and got a security warning so I figured it wasn't legit. Don't want any viruses here...

Shane
Yeah, I got that too. Something about a security certificate... Didn't have any trouble going there, but I know what you mean!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Yes, I looked at the link and at the top it states:

10-Degree Titanium Retainers - 1.115 Qty 16

Since the LS1 has used 7 degree locks from the factory as long as I have known, Lunati should fix their advertisement!!!
That would explain a lot! If you can't trust a major company like Lunati to get their info straight, who can you trust?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

This may be your ticket out. Call Lunati and tell them you bought the springs based on their advertisement, maybe they will swap them for the correct LS1 retainers and you won't have to machine them at all.