Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue Smoke...Rich?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blue Smoke...Rich?

I just bought a 2001 LS1 WS.6...my LT1 WS.6 met its demise via a flood. I searched, but there is so much stuff between 'blue' and 'smoke' that I really couldn't find anything
Anyway, this LS1 had its tune done at Speed Inc and I heard a few guys like to run the cars rich. Now the car only lets out a puff of blue smoke when you get after it and I was wondering how much it would take to lean the damn thing out a little bit. I hope its not oil, it shouldn't be or it'd be smoke the whole time right? Just needed to know before I ended up getting a tune for something mechanical.
MODs are: Headers, !CATS, 3" Exhaust, SLP Intake, Air Lid, MAF, 90mm TB, 3.42s, and the tune of course.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Hate to say it but i think blue is bad= oil not fuel.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It's Oil..I just tore mine down for the same reason.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Blue = oil and fuel... a little oil, and a little fuel... greyish white is oil... and when you are romping on it and it does it, valve guide seals? or possibly rings seeping... but blue smoke is more than likely the mix of the two... sry for the bad news. Time to tear it down and build a stroker!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drift_king2007
Blue = oil and fuel... a little oil, and a little fuel... greyish white is oil... and when you are romping on it and it does it, valve guide seals? or possibly rings seeping... but blue smoke is more than likely the mix of the two... sry for the bad news. Time to tear it down and build a stroker!
Blue smoke is oil, black is fuel.

How the **** is burning oil greyish white?? Greyish white is condensation or water..and coolant in some cases.

OP, If its not doing it a lot I wouldnt worry about it until you really want to. If your worried, swap the valve seals first b/c they are cheap and fairly easy. If it still smokes after that, than its probably rings in bottom end...and, well...you know.

Good luck
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

black=fuel blue=oil
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
How the **** is burning oil greyish white??
Cause it is..

Get a bad set of Rings and do a high-RPM decell..you will see grayish white smoke behind you clouding the whole road.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
Cause it is..

Get a bad set of Rings and do a high-RPM decell..you will see grayish white smoke behind you clouding the whole road.
QFT! That happened here. It was bluish when I'd "get on it" a little (gas in the mix).
Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
Cause it is..

Originally Posted by alottaboost
QFT! That happened here. It was bluish when I'd "get on it" a little (gas in the mix).
^these two are correct^ now remind me why you think blue isnt a "small" mixture between the two? You dont have to remind me what blown headgasket white smoke is... Mix BLACK (fuel) and GREYISH white (OIL!) = dull BLUE...... come on people... not that complicated
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

^these two are correct^ now remind me why you think blue isnt a "small" mixture between the two? You dont have to remind me what blown headgasket white smoke is... Mix BLACK (fuel) and GREYISH white (OIL!) = dull BLUE...... come on people... not that complicated
Please explain your reasoning on why BLUE SMOKE is a mixture of fuel and oil? How did you come to that conclusion? Do you have any actual proof of that?

I doubt it.

Start a bonfire and when it gets nice and hot, dump some oil on it. Everytime ive done that its made BLUE smoke.

If your cam is really 240* at .050, its WAY overcammed and probably one of the reasons why its so slow...but the 2nd car in my sig only 5.60's in the 1/8th so far, so what do I know.

Noob
Old 09-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Please explain your reasoning on why BLUE SMOKE is a mixture of fuel and oil? How did you come to that conclusion? Do you have any actual proof of that?

I doubt it.

Start a bonfire and when it gets nice and hot, dump some oil on it. Everytime ive done that its made BLUE smoke.

If your cam is really 240* at .050, its WAY overcammed and probably one of the reasons why its so slow...but the 2nd car in my sig only 5.60's in the 1/8th so far, so what do I know.

Noob
First off I said very little of the two fuel and oil... which when you mix oil and fuel you get a haze that usually looks blue.... or just a dark color in general... so I dont see how you "know" that I am entirely wrong?? care to just clear that up for me... when you see a skeeter eater worn out car that is burning oil and smelling like god knows what, drives by you smoking like a freight train, you mean to tell me that thick cloud of smoke is blue and not greyish????
So i make a valid conclusion and you go and talk about my car.... NOOB material right there... shitty tune dumb ****! LOL and is that because you know everything is why you know that my cam specs are to oversized.... hmmm why dont you take a look at the specs yourself... http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=190&sb=1 is that why i have seen over 260* @ 50 on LT motors, and they run 10's??? (not like I'm expecting 10's... LOL) hmm your in the wrong room
I am currently waiting on a tune dambass, so... feel free to make yourself look dumber by talking about someone elses car that you dont know **** about IDIOT NOOB!

Originally Posted by toolateVTEC
WAY overcammed and probably one of the reasons why its so slow
more of a reason the bad tune will **** up the way it runs... an LS owner like yourself should know that... god your dumb just go away! LOL

Last edited by Drift_king2007; 09-10-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

First off I said very little of the two fuel and oil... which when you mix oil and fuel you get a haze that usually looks blue.... or just a dark color in general... so I dont see how you "know" that I am entirely wrong?? care to just clear that up for me... when you see a skeeter eater worn out car that is burning oil and smelling like god knows what, drives by you smoking like a freight train, you mean to tell me that thick cloud of smoke is blue and not greyish????
So i make a valid conclusion and you go and talk about my car.... NOOB material right there... shitty tune dumb ****! LOL and is that because you know everything is why you know that my cam specs are to oversized.... hmmm why dont you take a look at the specs yourself... http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=190&sb=1 is that why i have seen over 260* @ 50 on LT motors, and they run 10's??? (not like I'm expecting 10's... LOL) hmm your in the wrong room
I am currently waiting on a tune dambass, so... feel free to make yourself look dumber by talking about someone elses car that you dont know **** about IDIOT NOOB!

more of a reason the bad tune will **** up the way it runs... an LS owner like yourself should know that... god your dumb just go away! LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

damn blue smoke! always causing trouble
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over cam my *** thats a little cam in the LS world To the op Gas and oil will make grayish blue smoke. Black is dead to nuts rich. Also try a catch can and is it really using alot of oil?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Over cam my *** thats a little cam in the LS world To the op Gas and oil will make grayish blue smoke. Black is dead to nuts rich. Also try a catch can and is it really using alot of oil?
you know wats funny I think I have been saying just grey this whole time... lol it is grey with a blue tint, if its oil... and fuel rich just darkens it up a bit... ooops!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Staging Lane

Over cam my *** thats a little cam in the LS world
I was gonna say the same exact thing lol.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Over cam my *** thats a little cam in the LS world
"little" more like baby to an LS...
Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

If your seeing oil on decel then it's being drawn in thru a vaccume source. As your RPM's come down the vaccume in the intake goes up. If there is oil introduced into the top of the motor during this thru the PCV or valve seals/guides etc the increased vaccume will pull it into the motor. Rings that are having oil control issues will be more prevalent on hard acceleration. I'd put a catch can on there and see if it helps. I'd also bet if you look at the floor of your intake it's coated with oil.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

ROTFLMMFAO

You never made a valid conclusion, just some bullshit assumptions.

I see you changed your sig to the correct duration #'s now, good job...its not as overcammed as I thought.

Your calling me a noob, but yet you ran your car at the track KNOWING it had a shitty tune in it?

Go back to the drift forums.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke...Rich?