Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160K. Heads and cam??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009 | 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I definitely agree a quick compression check would help tell your in a good position to make changes. That being said I'd be very surprised if you had any issues, we've seen well past 160k mile heads cam cars before! One time I had a truck show up that just had a sts turbo kit installed on it with over 240k miles on the odometer!! It made very compareable numbers to the other turbo 5.3l trucks I've seen come through here!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-14-2009 | 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Damian
Not only is that bad advice, it's incorrect and you're spouting off your own opinions as facts. I've swapped pulleys at the track before to see what the difference was. It's a SOLID 1 tenth/1 mph in ANY car. I've seen as high as 2/2. It's absolutely worth it if the stock pulley is coming off anyway. Not trying to bust your ***** here, but this is how inaccurate information infests the internet.
Come on that is petty that's is why i put at the end

"all I feel they are good for."

1 tenth and 1 mph can be made up in tuning, rear gears, intake manifold, there are plenty of ways to come up with that not just a pulley and I think you can agree with that.

In my experience and it is my experience with a 25% under drive pulley my car ran hotter. I went back to the stock pulley the car ran cooler and the loss of what ever was insignificant enough that i did not feel the need to put it back on.

Last I remember a person could still have an opinion and it still be ok to voice it.
Old 09-14-2009 | 05:19 PM
Launching!

I've consistently seen people pick up 7-10rwhp with a 25% pully. A Pully is a very popular bolt-on that is well worth the money. If it's already off why not pick up some extra rwhp. I've had and drove many cars with underdrive pullies and never noticed a temperature change. Not that it's not possible, its just not likely to happen. The only negative I've ever seen with an UDP is if you have subs, amps, or a bunch of aftermarket electronics draining more power than the alternator can recharge with the decreased pull on the alternator. Of course that can be easily fixed with a simple alternator overdrive pully.
Old 09-14-2009 | 05:38 PM
LSX Mechanic

In my experience and it is my experience with a 25% under drive pulley my car ran hotter. I went back to the stock pulley the car ran cooler and the loss of what ever was insignificant enough that i did not feel the need to put it back on.

Last I remember a person could still have an opinion and it still be ok to voice it.
Feel free to voice your opinions. But don't get butt hurt when people call them incorrect, because they are. To say an underdrive pulley is a waste of money, doesn't work, etc....Is wrong.

I guess shops like Vengeance, Texas Speed, LG, Virginia Speed, myself, etc...should all just quit using pulleys based on your opinions. Is this correct? If they're a waste, don't make any power, and make cars run hotter I guess we need to start yanking them off the shelves.
Old 09-14-2009 | 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure if I'd go with a pulley or not yet. My Stocker is getting kind of chewed up but I have an amp and some other electronic stuff in the car, I'd have to get the Alt pulley as well.

I did some searching around today for a place that rents out the Cylinder leak down tester. I went to all the major stores: Advanced, Auto Zone, napa, carquest, Lee, etc.. So tomorrow on my lunch I am going to run up to Harbor Freight and get one from there providing they have them on hand. I'll probably grab a vacuum guage and compression tester while I'm at it. And hopefully I can get out of work on time.
Old 09-14-2009 | 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Damian
Feel free to voice your opinions. But don't get butt hurt when people call them incorrect, because they are. To say an underdrive pulley is a waste of money, doesn't work, etc....Is wrong.

I guess shops like Vengeance, Texas Speed, LG, Virginia Speed, myself, etc...should all just quit using pulleys based on your opinions. Is this correct? If they're a waste, don't make any power, and make cars run hotter I guess we need to start yanking them off the shelves.
roger that
Old 09-14-2009 | 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by danbo313
I'm not sure if I'd go with a pulley or not yet. My Stocker is getting kind of chewed up but I have an amp and some other electronic stuff in the car, I'd have to get the Alt pulley as well.
How many Watts is your amp and subs rated at. If your system isn't that big the alt pulley may not be needed.
Old 09-15-2009 | 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Its a Polk 600.1 Running 300W rms at 4 ohm. Also have a small alpine powering my MB Quarts, maybe 75-100W rms, and a 5V power supply to power up my USB hard drive.

My stock alt went out a while ago, before the stereo stuff, and I went thru about 3 replacements until one has help up. I'm not sure if I want to stress it too much.

The alt pulley is only like 25 bucks so thats not too bad.
Old 09-15-2009 | 03:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by danbo313
The alt pulley is only like 25 bucks so thats not too bad.
True, better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-16-2009 | 10:50 AM
Banned

my car has 180k and still running great with full bolton's and hot cam and iam trying to change and put ls2 timing chain and put 243' heads hopefully it would hold up for aleats 5 months more . Every oil change i put a compression restore lube so it can clean and raise compression.
Old 09-17-2009 | 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Well guys, problem solved.. I ordered an LS6 long block today.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used LS1?