Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is full of WIN!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It almost sounded like he was hoping the motor went and that his insurence will pay for it.

First of all to take any sports car threw a flooded area is just not smart, when I first read that I knew it wasnt over. Then when I saw that he did not change the oil after it and decided to run the car, and on top of that he hydrolocked one motor already just screams WTF. If there was water in the cylinders when from what you described there was then It probably got past the rings when it was compressed.

you obviously dont have money to blow if you are concerned about getting insurence to pay for it so why the hell would you drive threw water and then not take all the precautions to prevent damage befor starting again.

If it had been me I would have changed the oil and Filter, took off the TB and intake to make sure it was dry. pulled the plugs and cut off the fuel and give the engine a few dry turn overs and then let it sit for another day, then put everything back together and try to run it the next day. then after that oil had about 20 miles on it I would change it again.

Right about now I wish they had a HERES YOUR SIGN smily on here
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ask and ye shall recieve
Old 09-24-2009, 06:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I filed through my insurance and they paid for my hydrolocked stock engine. I got around $2000 for it. It is under comprehensive insurance. I'm sure they wouldn't paid for a forged bottom end though. They would pay for a stock replacement long block and the estimated shop labor to install it.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id change the oil and filter, check the MAF/let dry, Toss the air filter and replace, pull the plugs and crank it (with new oil of course) and then replace them. B4 TRYING TO START!. Good luck bud hope she makes it out ok
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Well damn everyone made me sound like an idiot. Well to tell you the truth I wanted the insurance company to look at it before I really did anything and just wanted to see if it would crank over or it was done. I mean I only let it run for a minute or so to see what it would do.
But now I got my ins. company to look at it and they totalled the vehicle like I expected due to water coming in the cabin and everything else. So I went ahead and bought it back from them. But I went ahead and changed the oil and no water came out but it was a little milky looking. It looked like as if I would have blown a HG but there is no oil in the coolant. I put some cheap oil in it and am going to let it idle for about 15 minutes then change it again. I can't start the car right now because I live in a residential neighborhood and don't want to sit there and let it idle and **** the neighbors off =0. But there was no water in the intake because I took it off today and inspected it so hopefully all will be good and my car won't be dead.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedrs
Well damn everyone made me sound like an idiot. Well to tell you the truth I wanted the insurance company to look at it before I really did anything and just wanted to see if it would crank over or it was done. I mean I only let it run for a minute or so to see what it would do.
But now I got my ins. company to look at it and they totalled the vehicle like I expected due to water coming in the cabin and everything else. So I went ahead and bought it back from them. But I went ahead and changed the oil and no water came out but it was a little milky looking. It looked like as if I would have blown a HG but there is no oil in the coolant. I put some cheap oil in it and am going to let it idle for about 15 minutes then change it again. I can't start the car right now because I live in a residential neighborhood and don't want to sit there and let it idle and **** the neighbors off =0. But there was no water in the intake because I took it off today and inspected it so hopefully all will be good and my car won't be dead.
There's a reason everyone is saying the same thing and you just confirmed it with this post. Enjoy your flood salvaged title.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
There's a reason everyone is saying the same thing and you just confirmed it with this post. Enjoy your flood salvaged title.
Thanks for your input, not really though. I mean I wasn't trying to cheat the insurance company and make them pay for my car if that's what you meant. I just didn't wanna get it back together and it be knockin and everything else and me get screwed on it. I pay for insurance for a reason, don't you?

The vehicle will not be a flood salvage title vehicle anyway from what the adjuster said. They are sending me the money to payoff the vehicle and I will get the title. But since I bought it back he said it won't be a flood salvaged car. I figured it would but they assured me different.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the oil was a little milky then there was water in it. contrary to popular belief oil and water can mix, just not perminantly because eventually theyll seperate again. run a quart or 2 of water in your crankcase for a few min and itall mix like a milkshake. Let your old oil sit for a few days, then pour the oil off the top, 20 bucks says theres water in the bottom.

Basically you churned it in when you ran the motor so just give it a few days and it will seperate again. If it wasent real bad the you may have just dodged a bullet, although i would replace all the bearings anyway.GL