Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause this kind of pushrod damage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause this kind of pushrod damage?

Pulled these out of an 03 LM7. Unknown mileage but very little ridge and the bearings are ok. Rockers have unusual damage also. So they're toast. The lifter side is fine though. Any ideas?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It could be from an oiling issue, like oil starvation. I would be very careful in inspecting this motor further to find added proof and i would take a serious look at the bearings.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the lube, or there lack of
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Check on the condition and clearances of the oil pump vanes, stator, and casing. Definitely install a new and improved pick-up O-ring. Check the block galleys for blockage. Check that the camshaft journals and bearings are still in good shape as well!

Are the pushrod oiling passages visually plugged?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

i just pulled apart a 05 5.3 the looked the same but it had so much sludge that no oil was getting to them. lifters looked great. 5 push rods on passenger side head were like that and lifters also messed up. bearings look brand new. all of them. motor has 60k miles and now looks like new inside just waiting on the cam
Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Launching!

The block and heads are going to the machine shop tomorrow. I don't know about the condition of the pushrod oil feed holes. The engine was half disassembled when I got it. So they may have been plugged or just picked up junk from rolling around when with the previous owner. I'm installing all new everything. Oil pump, timing set, lifters, pushrods , rockers, etc.

biddaddydupree, sounds like we have the same block. The amount of sludge was on the extreme side. rockers and pushrods were toast but rod and main bearings where ok.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

yeah mine was bad but i wouldnt say extreme i believe the 60k miles becasue i knew the guy i bought it from but i told him he better learn to change the oil. all the bearings looked great just like brand new ones. all in all im happy with my purchase just ready to get it done with honestly. best of luck

Quick Reply: What would cause this kind of pushrod damage?